Jambands.ca

The Grammy's

Booche

When are they going to get rid of the outdated title/category: Best "Alternative" Rock Album? The White Stripes' "Get Behind Me Satan" won that award last night. Even if this was 1991, "Get Behind Me Satan" would not be considered "alternative".

The "alternative" title was left behind in the last millenium.

I liked some of the performances. Paul McCartney doing a rockin Helter Skelter was pretty cool.

U2 w/ Mary J. Blige doing One was great. MJB was going crazy!

Some other good performances too. I forget them though.

That little All-Star Sly Stone tribute was a trainwreck! Sly Stone came out and bambled at his organ and tried to sing for a bit. Couldn't even hear him. He went out in front of his organ for a bit and then walked off, leaving the others on stage to jam it out and eventually came to a dismal close. Who was up there... robert randolph, joss stone, santana I think, elvis costello, tons of others.. sly had quite the look going though, he did.

When U2 won an award earlier, as they were getting up they started playing Mariah's song.. then at the end of the show when they won ... best band or whatever, they had just started into their speeches when they were cut off and the grammy guy started into this speech about New Orleans or something on the other stage. U2 were left standing there dumbfouned (I am guessing). You could hear the crowd laugh, I assume at U2's reaction to being cut off... thne there was a bit of a cheer as they left the stage.

When buddy got done doing his speech there was a final performance with all kinds of people and wouldn't you know it, it get cut off too. The show just ended in the middle of their big hurricane tribute song.

Anyone else catch this mess of a show?

So not too long ago I heard this song on the radio..."devils and dust" I thought hmmm I like this song. tried to figure out who it was. couldn't - had no idea nor would I ever have thunk it woulda been springsteen

Indeed, after his first couple of albums he was consistenely being billed as "the next Bob Dylan," which caused him much frustration and lead him to a bigger, fuller sound with the E Street Band. He's returned to his roots a few times in his career (namely on the Nebraska and Devils and Dust albums) and it sounds oh so sweet when he does.

I thought his "Bring 'em home" line was perfect: it wasn't over-the-top and emotional, nor was it in the form of a clumsy acceptance speech. He made his point matter of factly and then walked away - it was awesome.

I didn't see much, but I did see the Sly Stone trainwreck. I got the impression Sly was like "why the fuck are they making me do this, but I'll take the money". Another thing that struck me as strange was having Randy Jackson up posing on the bass; he was VERY obviously NOT playing, and there was a bass player in the shadows standing behind the drummer! Now, Randy was an incredible session bass player in the eighties, his resume looks like the Top 40 list for the decade.....but I guess he doesn't have enough chops these days to even FAKE something close to what was happening? If you have another bass player playing that you don't want people to see, why wouldn't you have him off stage instead of lurking in the shadows? I found that very bizarre.

Bruce Springsteen

How great was that?

"Bring'em home"

That was fantastic when the Boss said "Bring 'em home" at the end of "Devils + Dust."

I'm a member of www.backstreets.com which is Bruce Springsteen's largest unofficial fan site and I was lucky enough to start a new thread titled "Bring 'em home" and it has stirred quite the uproar, as a lot of Springsteen fans don't appreciate his politics.

Tim

It was an amazing Grammy moment and even more than that musical moment that Sly Stone came out of seclusion to perform during the all-star tribute to his band, Sly and the Family Stone.

Yes he had a crazy blonde mohawk and hardly sang into the mic and his right hand seemed to be bandaged up with something, but it's not often the great Sly Stone comes out of his house let alone in front of millions of people on a world wide television broadcast.

Tim