Jambands.ca

Can I get away with this?

Hal Johnson

So, Bell screwed up the spelling of my last name and I keep getting calls and letters from Capitol 1 asking me to please take one of their bloody credit cards. I keep saying no, and that the person in question doesnt exist, but lately Ive been thinking, hey, maybe I can assume the name of this fictitious person and pull a Brewsters Millions. (Only its more like thousands, but you get the picture.) Id get caught pretty quickly, no? Any thoughts?

hahaha....this same mistake has happened to me. when i first got my drivers license whoever did the data entry typed TERRANCE instead of TERRACE (as it appears on my health card) for my middle name. my sin card has no middle name and on my birth certificate it says TARRACE. so...there are 3...but really, 2 of me out there. since your HC doesn't really count.

but it hasn't inspired me to commit credit card fraud, and i HAVE the ID to back it up, which you don't. so lay low on that deal my friend.

Edited by Guest

My buddy has been doing it for years with things like columbia house records. Just makes up a name and when they call says the person never lived there. He just keeps the initial free ones and never talks to them again. It's not a credit card though, they will catch you and they mean business. Remember, they have your address and phone number. Now, you could take the chance, spend the money and if they come after you just plead ignorance, then get pissed off then say fine, I'll pay!! (and save up a grand or so while doing this and pay it). You never know, they may never find you. They need your social insurance number to really get you though.

PS: My vote is NO, not worth it. Fraud is very bad to be charged with as it's your credibility at stake. No one will hire you if it's proven you're willing and capable of scamming like that.

you could do it, if you dont ever want to go for a car lease, loan, mortgage, OSAP, or anything else from a lending institution. i deal with this shit every day, with bell, with citi financial, and with other private label CCards too. we always get you in the end. we are vipers.

my advice, dont do it, unless you dont give a shit about your credit. however, if you do choose to do it hal, DONT give em your SIN#, not even sure if you can get a CCard without it

so, did you ever phone bell to tell them they spelled your name wrong?

Nah, I just havent got around to it.

Also, I think people are jumping to conclusions here - you wont go to jail for this. If they sent me a card and I maxed it out, there be a long period of time before they even started trying to collect on it. Not to mention if I started paying it off. Were not talking big money here. Also, the spelling mistake would be their fault, not mine. I could say I simply didnt notice it. But rest assured, I have no immediate plans to take this project on.

Well, that isn't exactly fraud.

That is getting a credit card and making the minimum payments as per the contract you have with the credit card company. That is what they want you to do.

Fraud is taking the money; period. I don't think Hal is worried about using the credit card as it is intended; such as you suggest.

Also, if there is ever a record of you making those minimum payments, and later you try to maintain that you are not the card-holder, you have already tacitly admitted that you are that person, and you'd have a hard time explaining some other reason that you made those minimum payments on behalf of someone you don't know. When I refer to "explaining", I mean in Court at the hearing when the credit card company sues you for the money back, or at the criminal trial after you are charged with fraud.

One more thing ... Hal, don't be so sure you can't be incarcerated for this. Some thefts have mandatory minimum sentencing, depending on how much you take. It also hinges on your prior record; if you have one.