Jambands.ca

recommend some uncommon albums

Blane

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three From Ontario:

Guelph native Scott Merritt's 1982 release "Serious Interference" is a delight of post-punk folkiness. Playful yet deep and featuring some startling guitar playing, this is a wonderful album by an often over-looked Canadian artist.

seriouscd.jpg

The same goes for Jane Siberry's debut album, also springing grom Guelph in the early 1980s. Far closer to an acoustic folk recording than the 80's synth sheen she would soon adopt, it is a beguiling and charming collection of whimsical songs about travelling, writing and cows. A wonderful album.

janesiberry144.gif

Finally, Shannon Lyon's 2000 release "Summer Blonde" is an under-rated collection of wonderful songs, bearing heavy influences in the likes of Neil Young, Nick Drake and Gram Parsons. Rootsy yet not overbearing, it is his most solid album; it mostly resists his unfortunate tendency for maudlin self-indulgence that mars many of his other releases.

sly_summerblonde.jpg

Sadly, according to each of these artists' websites, all of these releases are now out of print. :(

I'll third the praise of Ten Years After. I own both the albums mentioned above. Also, I totally agree that "everyone should own" the Shuggie Otis CD. I loved it so much I bought it for Booche four years ago for Christmas. NOTE: Shuggie Otis plays bass on Zappa's Hot Rats album.

Other than my love and constant pimping of the New York City CBGB band Television - truly a forgotten and even unknown proto-punk jam band - and their seminal album Marquee Moon and to a lesser extent their second album Adventure, I think everyone on this board should own Bonnie Prince Billy (Will Oldham)'s I See A Darkness. It's a muthafucking masterpiece:

B000066HI4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Other than my love and constant pimping of the New York City CBGB band Television - truly a forgotten and even unknown proto-punk jam band - and their seminal album Marquee Moon and to a lesser extent their second album Adventure...

Y'know, I bought in to all that pimping, and purchased Marquee Moon pretty much on your say-so, and I've gotta say it's fucking excellent. Thanks!

Other than my love and constant pimping of the New York City CBGB band Television - truly a forgotten and even unknown proto-punk jam band - and their seminal album Marquee Moon and to a lesser extent their second album Adventure...

Y'know' date=' I bought in to all that pimping, and purchased [i']Marquee Moon pretty much on your say-so, and I've gotta say it's fucking excellent. Thanks!

Adventure is really good too. A must own for fans of the band. It's a little clean, but contains some of their best songs - buy the remastered and expanded version. I think you'd also love the official bootleg live album The Blow Up - with poor audio et.al. It's often explosive with great, and I mean great guitars and blistering jams.

television.jpg

Edited by Guest

The Warlocks make fuzzed out, triple guitar, open chorded psych-stoner rock that's fun for the whole family. I've been listening to this album a ton over the past 6 months. Check it out!

That's funny.

I always thought The Warlocks were the band that morphed into the Grateful Dead in the early '60s; the name making a resurgence when the band played some shows under that name in the late-80s to early-90s.

I think everyone on this board should own Bonnie Prince Billy (Will Oldham)'s I See A Darkness. It's a muthafucking masterpiece

Done and done. One of my fave albums of all time.

Ps. His duet of I see a darkness with Johnny Cash is a SLAYER.

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

Hum- You'd Prefer An Astronaut.

c70633lj58x.jpg

The spacey soundscapes are reminiscent of Smashing Pumpkins or My Bloody Valentine, but the album has a true quality indie-rock feel that is a real rarity. In the true post-grunge era they combined the crunchy guitars with swirling psychadelic vibes and sounds of solitude and melancholy.

Warsaw Village Band- People's Spring

g21542xbvry.jpg

Taking traditional Polish folk tunes, and spinning them to create a sound they call "punk folk" and "bio trance", this band creates some haunting music, where you don't need to understand Polish to be induced into dancing.

Not an album but a DVD that Esau's post reminded me of, I was in tears by the end.

B00009KP12.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, David Allan Coe, Rodney Crowell and a very young Steve Earl among with a bunch of other great singer-songwriters.

Also Rodney Crowell's new Cd- The Outsider

B000A2EKLI.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Edited by Guest

NOTE: Shuggie Otis plays bass on Zappa's Hot Rats album.

Good note.

My favorite album listed thus far is the first one and I cant wait to hear A Space In Time.

We've all heard at least one song off this album: Ten Years After's only hit "I'd Love To Change The World".

NOTE: Shuggie Otis plays bass on Zappa's Hot Rats album.

Good note.

My favorite album listed thus far is the first one and I cant wait to hear A Space In Time.

We've all heard at least one song off this album: Ten Years After's only hit "I'd Love To Change The World".

It's a good tune, but there are so many smokers on this album. I was going to list a couple of my favorites but I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. It really is a great start to finish album.

Hits me right in the centre of my rock n roll heart.

On a side note, this album can usually be found in the cheapy section.

Oh and one more thing, does anyone have or know if there is some live TYA from a space in time era? I have the Live at the Fillmore, but it's a litte bit before this album.