Jambands.ca

tipping

SaggyBalls

What a great idea tipping is but unfortunate that much of the service industry relies on the kindness of others to pay their bills and fill their pockets.

It's great that both waiters and massage parlour attendants can walk home with a couple hundred bucks for a busy day of good service.

i just wish that 1) the rest of the workforce could be as fairly paid, and 2) i could afford to tip more.

positive karma is always a good release.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiters are usually (in my experience) paid less per hour because they get the tips. It might work out to be more per hour but the garanteed money isn't always there. Although I guess I'd rather get paid 8 bucks an hour with the chance for lots of tips then 9.50 an hour with no chance of tips...

Not too sure how it works in other businesses..

there are many times that I don't know whether or not I'm in a tipping situation.

-how much to the cabbie?

-how much to the hair dresser/barber?

-what about the guy who just opened the door for me at the hotel?

-I just ordered take-out and picked up my chinese order. Do I tip the host?

The only thing I'm sure of is the %15 at a restaurant.

there are many times that I don't know whether or not I'm in a tipping situation.

-how much to the cabbie?

The only thing I'm sure of is the %15 at a restaurant.

Excellent questions Mike. As you know Mike, my fiance Vicki is a bartender. She tips around 15% for every situation you listed except the pick-up order and the bell-hop - no tip - although it certainly is different in different countries. I do the same. Hair-dressers are always good to over-tip since they could fuck up your hair. Similar with a good server at a bar - treat them well and they'll always look after you.

Vicki dreads the European/British and Japanese tourists since it is not their custom to tip.

Edited by Guest

-how much to the cabbie?

$2 if the fare is under $10; $3 - $4 for under $20; etc.

$5 to $7

Nothing. That door is automatic. That's tipping under false pretenses.

Only if you're waiting for a table, Cartwright.

Well, tapers should be tipped at least 15%. In other words, if a band does a 45-minute first set, a one-hour second set, and a 15-minute encore, for a total of two hours of music, the taper should get 18 more minutes of music.

Aloha,

Brad

Vicki dreads the European/British and Japanese tourists since it is not their custom to tip.

Australians also don't tip. We have so many of them in this town that the custom of tipping is clearly explained on every restaurant menu, with a suggested percentage of 15 to 20%.

Australians also don't tip. We have so many of them in this town that the custom of tipping is clearly explained on every restaurant menu' date=' with a suggested percentage of 15 to 20%.[/quote']

The smarter servers sometimes add a 15% gratuity to foreign bills, similar with most restaurants' policy for groups of 8 or more.

Edited by Guest

Instead of tipping in Montreal at a restaurant this past weekend, I farted in someones salad.

No joke.

We were pissed off at this establishment. We were in a fair rush and asked if our timing was unreasonble. We wanted to eat and leave within 50 minutes. No problem? Well, it took almost an hour to get 2 poutines and a mini-pizza. Based on that order, isnt it obvious how much of a rush we were in?

There was no one else to be seen aside from the workers and us.

After we ordered, we watched the two waitresses proceed to fill every other table but ours with salads. They had a massive party coming in. Fair enough. That took them 40 mins but in the meantime, we are assured at least 5 times that our meals will be served "In five minutes. I swear.

The bitch was obviously lying her ass off.

Well, my party of women upped the ante every once in a while, telling our waitress we were in a hurry. Time passes............time passes........hunger grows.......nervousness sets in.........time passes.......and so on.

We get our food and have it annihilated within 5 mins. 2 minutes later we have our bill which had one of the poutines given for free as some form of courtesy. I didnt care.

As we left the restaurant without tipping our 'full-of-shit' waitress, I proceeded to drop my ass on one of the plates (the reserved patrons had not shown up yet) and let go a full-on RIPPER not 2 inches from the greens. There is a good chance she heard it and a far better one she smelled it because I had been holding gas in the entire time.

Our waitress was showing us to the door at the time and I still wonder if she replaced that plate.

I somehow doubt it.

Edited by Guest
Forgot to add some facts

i think you should tip when you pick up an order of food. somebody packed up all the food in boxes or bags for you. i don't necessarily tip 15-20% in that case but a couple of bucks is fair.

Not that I feel I am being singled out, but there has only been two times in my life that I havent tipped. Everything else has been at least 15%. Well, aside from when I didnt make much money because I was in retail. I did the best I could, including emptying my wallet.

I am assuming that if you have never 'not tipped' you havent been in a situation to even consider it.

Not that I feel I am being singled out, but there has only been two times in my life that I havent tipped. Everything else has been at least 15%.

Is that including the time when we piled into a cab after downing some pitchers at Chicago's, only to remember that no one paid the bill?

ha...I pretty much never go through Full service at the gas station because I don't know what to tip.

I allways tip I guess but if the service sucks my tip sucks.

Oh actually one girl was so rude once I paid her to one penny short of the bill....she had to be way nasty to get that and way nasty on a bad day for me combined.

Wouldn't it be nice if companies were obliged to pay a decent wage so their employees didn't have to scavenge for tips.

Jaimoe, I thought you paid the bill AND tipped!

Ya cheap bastard.

Oh actually one girl was so rude once I paid her to one penny short of the bill....she had to be way nasty to get that and way nasty on a bad day for me combined.

Oh, that is just fucking wicked. I love it.