Jambands.ca

the best camping spot you've ever been to..

Birdy

i'm planning a little camping trip in early september and i'm just wondering if you could suggest the best camping spot you've been to in Ontario or Quebec? I'd like to hit up a new, unknown, awesome spot.. with lotsa trees, and swimmable waters.

any ideas are appreciated! thanks :)

a place near ottawa is called something like CENTRE DE PLEIN AIR DE L'OUTAOUAIS, it's about 1.5 hours from downtown Ottawa (if memory serves) and is near the town of Poltimore (if memory serves).

You go to the main camp building, rent a canoe (or bring your own) and then canoe off in any direction and camp wherever you like. There are hundreds perhaps thousands of acres of lakes, islands etc where you can camp anywhere you like. It was soooo quiet and peaceful and the water was great. Ideal, really.

I can dig through my emails to find the exact details if you like.

AD

ever thought about hitting one of the main lakes in Tamagami? We used to do canoe trips up there all the time and if we weren't feeling killing ourselves (Tamagami can be tough terrain) we would just flog...there are lots of awsome hikes/cliff jumping/swimming/etc to be had.

Bon Echo is beautiful and secluded, you have to hike a few hours in to get to the campsite I had here. Well worth the hike. I could scream my head off here and nobody would here me, except for Sara, she was there too. You may have to book early here, as apparently it is a little more popular in September than in June, when we were there.

bon%20echo%202.jpg

Bon%20Echo.jpg

The Crestone Needle Alpine Meadow. It's a bitch to get up there; a real bitch. But, it's georgeous. The 14,000+ ft peaks turn fire red at sunset ala Sangre De Cristo style and Crestone Peak is an easy walk up if you're into mountaneering. From the top you can see the entire 'Blood of Christ' Mountain Range and the Great Sand Dunes National park below you. Breathtaking. Logistics are a bitch here. Go to Durango to a Expedition Store and try to get some maps. Best trip you'll ever take.

ditto the request from LJFH, AD....

we followed your last link to Lac Phillippe and had a great couple of camping/canoeing/hiking/spelunking days there last week!!!!

(side note for Birdy: the campground itself is nothing to write home about...fairly crowded and not alot of privacy; but the hikes and the caves were great)

Some of my favs

1. Cypress Lake (about 10 miles south of Tobermory) Nice grounds but the real show is the Bruce Trail and Georgian Bay. The Grotto is all you need for adventure (unless you want to cliff jump)

2. Elora Gorge (10 miles east of Guelph) Camp near the edge of the Gorge and then TUBE it down the rapids.

3. Point Farms (bout 5 miles north of Goderich) Camp up on the huge bluffs, catch the sunset from there or from the beautiful and never crowded beach.

thanks for the suggestions guys!

i've googled all of 'em, but can't get the one AD is talking about.. so if you could dig some stuff up on that one AD i'd appreciate it.

last weekend my friends and i headed up to manitoulin island to do some camping and it was absolutely awesome. so beautiful and secluded, crystal clean lakes, trees, trees, trees, sunsets.. we loved it. so if ya ever get the chance.. hit up the old chi cheemaun and cross over. it's well worth it!

Sorry, I know it's not the weekend getaway you may have been looking for but I saw the title and thought I'd let you know what my favorite camp spot is, and to date, Crestone Needle Basecamp takes the cake.

I'm actually thinking of taking myself and the dawg out into the country for some private reprieve with nature this weekend so I'm thinking of somewhere remote in Ontario, maybe around Algonquin, but I'll have to start looking into that.

I'm actually thinking of taking myself and the dawg out into the country for some private reprieve with nature this weekend

How about Ontario's largest jungle...Toronto. 'Tis the weekend by the way things are shaping up.

Sorry, I know it's not the weekend getaway you may have been looking for but I saw the title and thought I'd let you know what my favorite camp spot is, and to date, Crestone Needle Basecamp takes the cake.

that's okay YATS. i appreciate your post. i'll definately keep it in mind should i find myself in the mountains of colorado at some point. :)

La base de plein air des Outaouais

819-457-4040

32, chemin de la Base-de-Plein-Air,

Denholm, QC J8N 9P6

There are a few websites that pop up on Google if you search in English only, they mostly talk about the actual camp that is there, but if you go and canoe out you don't have to be bound by the camp...... Best to call them to get all the details, it's been a few years since I've been there.

But I LOVED it.

AD