Jambands.ca

Loudest Show You've Ever Attended

Kanada Kev

We obviously attended alot of the same shows Kanada Kev, I also was at that Big Sugar/Blues Traveler show and I agree Big Sugar (even BT) were way too loud that night, we stood to the right of the stage, more-less behind it to try & save some hearing.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but did you happen to ctach the Pretenders & Urge Overkill when they played there? I'm pretty sure it was around the same time, 94 I believe.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah-ha. I'm seeing the link with the Gov't Mule show I mentioned. Big Sugar joined them onstage for about 45 minutes. Big Sugar+Mule= permanent hearing loss. And julia, I too wore no earplugs. It was one of those shows where you almost want to go and hide from the music, if it weren't so good...

3/9/98

Montreal, QU Canada

The Cabaret Music Hall

1st Set:

John The Revelator *>

Thelonius Beck

Don't Step On The Grass, Sam

Game Face

Thorazine Shuffle

Birth Of The Mule

No Need To Suffer >

Painted Silver Light >

Presence Of The Lord >

Pygmy Twylyte >

Blind Man In The Dark > Drums > Blind Man >

Mother Earth

She Said, She Said >

Tomorrow Never Knows jam

Mule > I've Been Working > Mule

2nd Set:

Dear Mr. Fantasy **+

I Believe ****

Foxy Lady ***+>

She's Nineteen Years Old ****

Nasty Dogs & Funky Kings ****>

Just Got Paid ****>

Pass The Peas ****>

Thank You ****>

Spanish Moon ****>

Thank You ****

Setlist Notes:

* Allen on mandolin;

** Gordie Johnson on guitar, Kelly Hoppe on harmonica, vocals and Gavin Brown on drums, no Matt;

*** Gordie Johnson on guitar and vocals, Kelly Hoppe on harmonica;

**** Gordie Johnson on guitar, Kelly Hoppe on harmonica and sax; + 1st time played

Edited by Guest

We obviously attended alot of the same shows Kanada Kev, ... did you happen to ctach the Pretenders & Urge Overkill when they played there? I'm pretty sure it was around the same time, 94 I believe.

Missed that one. The BT/BS show and the Black Crowes show there (i couldn't give away a couple of extras) were the only ones I went to. Couldn't stand the sound in there, even though I lived around the corner on Prince Arthur Ave.

The show at Varsity that I regret missing the MOST was Clapton with Stevie Ray Vaughan opening!!!!!!

Mule at the Comfort Zone with Gordie was supremely loud, forgot about that one.

Same goes for Mule with Gordie and Thornley at the Opera House in 99.

10/5/1999

Toronto, ON Canada

Opera House

Hammer And Nails > Mule > I've Been Working > Mule,

Life Before Insanity,

Goin' Out West,

Lay Your Burden Down,

Bad Little Doggie > Blind Man In The Dark,

I Can't Quit You Baby,

Left Coast Groovies > Drums > Left Coast Groovies > No Need To Suffer,

Encore:

I'm A Ram *+,

Painted Silver Light *,

30 Days In The Hole ***,

Ride Like Hell *+,

She's Nineteen Years Old ****,

Gonna Send You Back To Georgia ****

Setlist Notes:

* Gordie Johnson on guitar and vocals,

** Gordie on guitar,

*** Gordie on guitar and back-up vocals,

**** Ian Thornley on guitar from Big Wreck,

+ 1st time played

Thanks for the reminder Blane.

Edited by Guest

The show I regret missing most at the Varsity was Soundgarden and Rage Against the Machine. Holy shit, I'm still kicking myself.

As for loud shows, I forgot to mention The Warlocks at the Horseshoe a few years ago. The contemporary Warlocks of course, a stoner rock band from California. Two drummers pounding out slow, druggy, monotonous rhythms underneath crushing riffs played in sync by two guitars, bass, organ and keyboard. And loud as all hell.

I saw the Warlocks recently and they were definately loud, but since I've recently invested in these I can tolerate (and enjoy) loud music a lot more:

ETYMOTIC HI-FIDELITY EARPLUGS

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

ETY•Plugs™ (ER•20 High Fidelity Earplugs) were developed to provide low-cost, one-size-fits-most high fidelity earplugs that can be used in a variety of noisy environments.

The goal of the ETY•Plug™ design was the same as for Musicians Earplugs: to reduce noise but preserve sound quality; in effect, to turn down the noise but not muffle voices, environmental sounds or music.

definately a worthwhile investment!

Anything at Lee's Palace. Tony Levin there a few years ago was an ear-popper.

Sharon Jones at Babylon last fall. Those horns had my ears ringing for a week.

Big stadium Dead shows - the difference being that it's extraordinarily loud in a good way (where else could your marrow get such a good shake - along with all that concrete).

Jamming in timouse's parents' basement.

Jamming in Hux's basement, for that matter :P.

Add comments here on the virtues of earplugs.

Ah-ha. I'm seeing the link with the Gov't Mule show I mentioned. Big Sugar joined them onstage for about 45 minutes. Big Sugar+Mule= permanent hearing loss. And julia, I too wore no earplugs. It was one of those shows where you almost want to go and hide from the music, if it weren't so good...

3/9/98

Montreal, QU Canada

The Cabaret Music Hall

1st Set:

John The Revelator *>

Thelonius Beck

Game Face

Thorazine Shuffle

Birth Of The Mule

No Need To Suffer >

Painted Silver Light >

Presence Of The Lord >

Pygmy Twylyte >

Blind Man In The Dark > Drums > Blind Man >

Mother Earth

She Said, She Said >

Tomorrow Never Knows jam

Mule > I've Been Working > Mule

2nd Set:

Dear Mr. Fantasy **+

I Believe ****

Foxy Lady ***+>

She's Nineteen Years Old ****

Nasty Dogs & Funky Kings ****>

Just Got Paid ****>

Pass The Peas ****>

Thank You ****>

Spanish Moon ****>

Thank You ****

Setlist Notes:

* Allen on mandolin;

** Gordie Johnson on guitar, Kelly Hoppe on harmonica, vocals and Gavin Brown on drums, no Matt;

*** Gordie Johnson on guitar and vocals, Kelly Hoppe on harmonica;

**** Gordie Johnson on guitar, Kelly Hoppe on harmonica and sax; + 1st time played

Who doesn't drop to thier knees for a good Dear Mr Fantasy....gushhhh.

Blane do you have this show???????!!!!

Can I get my hands on it somehow?

Good fucking times!

I'm being reminded just how much I LOVE the Mule...haven't listened to them in years...weird.

I saw the Warlocks recently and they were definately loud, but since I've recently invested in these I can tolerate (and enjoy) loud music a lot more:

ETYMOTIC HI-FIDELITY EARPLUGS

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

ETY•Plugs™ (ER•20 High Fidelity Earplugs) were developed to provide low-cost, one-size-fits-most high fidelity earplugs that can be used in a variety of noisy environments.

The goal of the ETY•Plug™ design was the same as for Musicians Earplugs: to reduce noise but preserve sound quality; in effect, to turn down the noise but not muffle voices, environmental sounds or music.

definately a worthwhile investment!

I have a pair of fitted musicians plugs, but didn't back then. I think it was a case of just forgetting to bring plugs, I try to do it when I remember.

Last year, a couple friends of mine were investigating the possibility of investing in a fleet of gumball machine-type dispensers, and selling individually-packaged pairs of earplugs at venues for a loonie or something...they tweaked the numbers all over the place, but it just wasn't cost-effective.

Jazz is Dead at the Comfort Zone in 1997 or so.

God that was loud

BIG SUGAR @ THE LYRIC, Guelph.

That was extremely loud too.

But the loudest for me was the Foo Fighters at...Opera House maybe..in about 1998. Stood next to the speaker for the entire show and couldn't hear much for a day.

The Pixies last year in Hull was also pretty painful.

Robert Randolph show there that was particularly offensive. Never have I experienced such pain in the ears.

That one was painful on the ears if you were under the speakers to the left of the stage. I HAD to move back on that as the pain was outweighing the fun

That show was ridiculously loud. But my vote goes to Lake Trout at the Comfort Zone back in... 2000? The show was WAY too loud, combined with the fact that they didn't sound very good at all.

little feat opening for george thorogood at canada's wonderland.

What'd you think of Thorogood? Personally' date=' i thought he blew. We ended up leaving early. We were there for the Feat :)

[/quote']

the first 2 tunes of his set were okay...the 2nd 2 sounded like the first 2. then my hearing went, and everything from there in sounded like charlie brown's parents.

i would not rush out to see him again. the feat on the other hand were awesome as always :)

the first 2 tunes of his set were okay...the 2nd 2 sounded like the first 2. then my hearing went, and everything from there in sounded like charlie brown's parents.

i would not rush out to see him again. the feat on the other hand were awesome as always :)

LOL ... that's it exactly!

I particularly liked the sound when Feat played on the same bill as the Allmans @ Maple Leaf Gardens... '91? They were using the Dead's sound system on that tour ... clean clean sound :)