Jambands.ca

Your picks for CD of the year?

PassedOutGuy

Well mine is going to overwhelmingly be the new Beck release!!! Its out on the 3rd and as i listen to it right now I am absolutely loving everything about it and im only on track 6... what has been hot for you this year?

Bob, i've given it 3 listens today! Once over breakfast and the paper, once trying to clean the pool before closing, and then making dinner.

I agree with you on the first 6 tracks or so. After that I find it starts to disintegrate a little and get kind of repetitive. Still listenable, but it seems to start off a lot stronger than it finishes if you know what I mean. Not a fan at all of "1000bpm".

Good grooves and the trademark Beck sound for sure.

I gotta put Springsteen and Dylan wayyyyy ahead of this one :) :) :)

moderntimesCvr200.jpgweshallovercome.jpg

weshallovercome.jpg

Because it's Springsteen

Because it's great

And because I've been waiting a long time to put those two facts together again.

Now they're adding more to an already great thing!!

SME_0101_CK_688231.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

We Shall Overcome The Seeger Sessions - American Land Edition

On Tuesday, Oct 2, We Shall Overcome The Seeger Sessions - American Land Edition hits stores.

The enhanced version of the album is available to offer an even closer view into the organic spirit behind the recording of the album, featuring:

Five bonus tracks

Live tour videos

Expanded documentary

Enhanced booklet

Pre-order now and receive a free collectible Bruce Springsteen patch.

For those of you who prefer the digital version of We Shall Overcome The Seeger Sessions - American Land Edition, all tracks and videos will be available on iTunes on Oct 10.

The CD, DVD, and 28-page expanded booklet with additional photos and notes from music scholar Dave Marsh are housed in a beautiful and striking package. "Buffalo Gals" and "How Can I Keep From Singing" are on the CD for the first time (previously only available as bonus audio on the DVD side of the DualDisc release). New fan favorites "How Can A Poor man Stand Such Times And Live," "Bring 'Em Home" and "American Land" have been added as well.

The DVD features an extended, 40-minute cut of the behind-the-scenes film, including footage of Springsteen with the Seeger Sessions band recording "Jacob's Ladder" and a complete version of "Erie Canal." Also included are two bonus videos of live concert footage from his recent tour and two video pieces for "American Land" and "Pay Me My Money Down" ; Springsteen's live show with the Seeger Sessions Band has already transfixed fans and critics alike.

Jenny Lewis & The Watson Twins 'Rabbit Fur Coat' is my first choice ... Lily Allen's Allright Still is coming up close behind, as is The Golden Dogs 'Big I Little Eye' with honourable mention to Gnarls Barkley, Johnny Cash, Radiodread, Dixie Chicks, and The Dears.

But I'm really not feeling the new Beck album ... I loved Guero, a lot, but The Information is kinda dry to me ... maybe I just need more time with it.

• 2 weeks later...
the new Akron/family album is great.

So far though I've gotta pick between either:

Les Claypool

My Morning Jacket

or

ALO, this album just keeps growing on me.

I love the new MMJ live album too - one of the better major label live releases you'll hear this decade. However, I have a hard time putting a live album on any list unless that said album is full of unreleased material. Okonokos ain't no Live At The Fillmore East, Band Of Gypsies, Rust Never Sleeps or Kick Out The Jams.

Ox's new album is fantastic

hey shain, glad you are down with Ox, they will be on my list as well.

they are doing a string of dates in SoOn coming up, October 26 at the black sheep in Wakefield / Ottawa, and i think they're playing with The Silver Hearts in Toronto sometime soon at the 'Shoe.

I can't wait to see them again.

I love the new MMJ live album too - one of the better major label live releases you'll hear this decade. However, I have a hard time putting a live album on any list unless that said album is full of unreleased material. Okonokos ain't no Live At The Fillmore East, Band Of Gypsies, Rust Never Sleeps or Kick Out The Jams.

True enough. Maybe I'll replace MMJ with the new Spearhead album.

Also, the Canadian albums released this year were steller too.

the Grassroot Deviation

themasses

Five Alarm Funk

Slammin Jack(think that was this year)

Sister's euclid

etc.

Fuck it I can't pick one.