Jambands.ca

strange happenings in the GTA this am

livingstoned

Didn't hear it myself but according to my morning drive radio station - there was a very loud bang this morning at 4:15am - which of course on its own was thought to be thunder - however apparently it was heard in West of Etobicoke through to Leaside and later reported beyond and farther east - reportedly the "loudest bang" anyone has ever heard - no media knows or police/weather people have any reports as to what it could have been. Anyone else hear this? I mean there was definitely a thunder storm but has anyone ever heard of "the loudest thunder" ever heard being heard over such a large distance.

Once they started talking about it this morning someone from Niagara Falls area contacted Q107 to say they heard the bang as well - crazy. I'm sure thunder but is it possible to have it cover such a large area? Just curious. Again I didn't hear it as I slip into a deep coma each night...just wondering if anyone heard it and can explain to me how loud it actually was?

I just heard something out my window just now that I thought was thunder or a big truck falling over or something. How fast does sound travel again?

Maybe some EMP has just passed over Ontario and we're just had our genes transmuted. What will we look like by this time tomorrow, I wonder.

I predict big bugs, like Gregor Samsa.

Maybe some EMP has just passed over Ontario and we're just had our genes transmuted. What will we look like by this time tomorrow, I wonder.

I have no idea, but I hope the effect lasts through the weekend of Oct. 28/29, as it'll save me having to get a costume...

Aloha,

Brad

That is fucking weird. Beyond the Niagara Falls mention which is semi-debatable at least just the spread over Toronto is unfathomable.

I know Niagara Falls seemed to be a stretch and I didn't buy it - my guess is that emailer/caller was either adding fuel or there was thunder in that area at the same time

However between the morning show people who were woken up by it and Basher that's west of Etobicoke, east of Leaside and north to Steeles!

CRAZY

Edited by Guest

It woke us up and freaked us out a little bit, because it was most definitley not thunder or any natural sound for that matter. It shook the whole house. It was just drifting at the time, but it woke my wife out of a deep sleep and she yelled. Definitley the loudest thing I've heard/felt.

Glad to see someone posted this.

To me the sound before and after the bang sounded like an airplane. The usual sounds I hear all the time living near the airport. However the bang was crazy. I assumed it was a sonic boom or something like that. I could hear some other airplanes after the boom as well, which is pretty unusual for 4:30 in the morning. One thought I'd had is that it was an earthquake becuase past earthquakes in this area have had a similar type sound/feel. But all the plane sounds make me think otherwise.

Something tells me we will not find anything out about this.

Edited by Guest

Something tells me we will not find anything out about this.

That's the way it was described by Q107 people. The only info I can find on it is Maureen Holloway's blog description of what she heard which is similar to your description

THINGS THAT GO BOOM IN THE NIGHT

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 I am not a sound sleeper. Never have been. It’s not insomnia, although I’ve suffered from that, and it’s not apnea, although John has a bit of that going on (which results in snoring and keeps me awake).

It’s due to:

a) an erratic sleep schedule over the years due to parenthood and working in morning radio, B) an anxious nature and

c) an overactive imagination.

The result is that I have vivid dreams that sometimes propel me out of bed, where I then wake up to find myself looking for a little dog in the bathroom – not our dog, but a dog I dreamed I’d given birth to (paging Dr. Freud). Once, several years ago, John tells me I suddenly stood up on the bed, grabbed all the covers, hollered “let’s get out of hereâ€, and flung myself halfway across the room. On numerous occasions I have apparently sat up and yelled out “what was that?!â€, then promptly sunk back into a deep sleep. The only conclusion I can draw is that I’m part cat.

Anyway, at about 4:15 A.M EDT, I was woken by the loudest cracking noise imaginable, a long rolling sonic boom that went on for almost a minute before dissipating. It seemed too loud to be thunder, and besides, it was isolated. I thought maybe a plane had crashed into the lake, or that we were under attack from North Korea. Turns out I wasn’t the only one – listeners from across the greater Toronto area heard it as well, but at this point we still haven’t heard any explanation from the police or fire departments. Maybe it was just thunder. Maybe it was a meteor. Maybe it was the half cat people come to take me home in their giant flying saucer of milk.

AGAIN - CRAZY!!! I wish I heard it.

So I just got off the phone with the airport noise people...

He has no record of any air traffic at the time other than a small plane 10,000 feet up that shouldn't have made any noise.

He checked the sound meter and they are registering a very loud sound and significant noise at that time.

He took my number and is going to look into it and get back to me. I've picqued his curiosity.

If you never hear from me again, you'll know I was asking too many questions ;)

So I just got off the phone with the airport noise people...

He has no record of any air traffic at the time other than a small plane 10,000 feet up that shouldn't have made any noise.

He checked the sound meter and they are registering a very loud sound and significant noise at that time.

He took my number and is going to look into it and get back to me. I've picqued his curiosity.

If you never hear from me again, you'll know I was asking too many questions ;)

Good work!! - and if you're right let me just say it was nice knowing you and you'll be missed!

this is what y'all heard ...

sonicboomplane_navy_big.jpg

just a sonic boom, some fighter pilot probably just had a heavy thumb, or was trying to impress a girl he met in a bar last night ... "hey, I'll give you a wake-up call at 4:15am" ...

it had NOTHING to do with aliens. Nothing at all. ;)

ps. this is supposedly an actual photo of a sonic boom from NASA. cool, eh?