Jambands.ca

Me and Evans saved a dog last night.

Deeps

Driving home from the ultra classy dinner at Swiss Chalet (they actually used to look ike chalets remeber?) anywho, we see this massive Huskie wandering up Edinburgh (busy street) we can tell this dog is olden because she was moving so slow. She looked real sad.

We go around the block so we can stop on her side of the street and call her over. This thing was the size of a bear and pretty stinky, but the sweetest thing. We coaxed her into the car and took her to the animal shelter.

About 2 hours later we got a call from the animal shelter saying that the dog's owners came and picked her up. Turns out the girl was 12.

Dang that feels good.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

kinda did the same thing here in burlington about a month ago...was walkin along a busy st. and the dog came outta no where in front of me...and nobody else was around... I called him over and tried to hold him cause it was a busy street aswell...but he didnt like me holding him there..and broke away from me...darting all over the place..thinking I was tryin to play with him or something... almost getting hit by two diff cars... i was panicing...wondering what to do...then I noticed he seemed to now a house across the st... kept goin over there momentarily.. so I knocked on the door... this old lady came to the door..and knew the dog .. but it wasnt hers.. it was her sons.. that lived further down the street... I guess this dog is a regular hudine sp? always breaks out... just hope he doesnt get hit one day cause he was cool!

but ya.. sorry for the long winded story.. but know the feeling Deeps.. feels good!

peace

I thought I saved a really old dog once.Thought being the operative word.I was heading home up the mountain at about 3:30 am after a longnite bartending and in the gloom appeared this absolutely HUGE Great Pyrennese(sp?) hobbling along the road, obviously old and very tired.Now given that I am manically afraid of rabid animals( I grew up in England and I have recurring nightmares of this public service type film they made us watch about what would happen if rabies were introduced on the island-horrible)while at the same time being completley unable to not pick up strays,shoving this old guy into my very tiny car was a little frought with both anxiety and the thrill of finding a new dog.You know-you hope you can find their owner but at the same time secretly hoping you don't because then nobody in your already overanimaled household can force you to give away a HOMELESS animal.As it turns out he did have a tag-his name was Baloo-and when I took him back to his owners the next day they totally shit on my head!!Bastards!Even though he was so far from their house they acted like I had taken him home as prank for some deviant purpose.Wish I kept him.

Congrats Deeps-its is such an awesome feeling!!

I can't remember the exact quote, but I think it's from one of the gospels: "What you do to the least of my creatures, you do to me." I figure it works both ways.

One has to wonder if there's a song in somewhere. :)

Aloha,

Brad

yay deeps and evans!

brad, the spirit of your quote is bang on...people are animals too :)

I have hesitated to post because I don't want to deflate your high spirits at all, but I want to relate a story.

A few months before my cat died I went away for the weekend. The first night my cat never came home and my roommate scoured the neighborhood. The next night still nothing, and by the third night my roommate was convinced he had gone off to die somewhere as he was very old and not well. He wasn't looking forward to telling me at all and he looked everywhere. I came back and we accepted that my little guy was gone, but on my girlfriend's suggestion I called the humane society. The next day they called. They had him and he was slated for demolition because of his advanced age. I picked him up and paid the $70 fee and got him to his medicine as soon as I could. He was picked up about 80 feet from my house; someone saw him, realised he looked unwell and called the humane society people.

So my cat was out on his regular rounds and ended up in a cage for four days resulting in much concern, many tears, and a $70 bill. It was a struggle to balance my appreciation for someone's concern with my frustration caused by totally unneccesary stress.

Let me close by saying I believe you did the right thing, and I assume my situation doesn't apply here, and especially, big huge props to you for caring.

I just want to caution people to try and be as aware as possible at what they're doing before they call the pound.

Edited by Guest
spelling

Velvet, I understand your concerns. They're entirely valid, but there's a way around them: have your pet implanted with an ID tag. When the Humane Society receives a stray, they check for the tag, and if they find one, they look up the ID, and are then able to contact the owner.

Within Ottawa, go to

http://www.ottawahumane.ca/microchip.html

for info.

Aloha,

Brad

My cat died with what he was born with.

didn't have him de-balled? bob barker wouldn't be too happy about that ;)

we all do what we think is right for our animals. personally, we dont get a city tag for ours because of a silly political issue with the way the city has managed dog bylaws in guelph. but yeah, this thread has underscored the real benefit of a tag. even if only for a caring neighbour to call.

continued cheers to deeps for taking action, edinburgh is one of the busiest streets in guelph and not a place for a dog. most people would have just driven by. we've taken a lost dog over to the GHS too, and its nice to know they do all they can to reunite lost pets, and their no-kill policy is very comforting.

FYI the microchip implanting is fairly painless (basically a needle is inserted under their skin, the microchip injected and voila!). Well maybe some pain, but its over quickly. Declawing on the other hand is very painful even days after the surgery...I'm a big suporter of microchipping not so much of declawing.

And Deeps...Nice one!

I am totally impressed by what Deeps did.

I've had the occasion to rescue a couple of dogs running around on the Sea-to-Sky Highway, in a similar manner, and every time I found out that the owners did come and retrieve them from the shelter(s).

It makes ya feel good, I must say.

Three cheers for Deeps and Evans!