Jambands.ca

TV Coverage of SARS-Fest... Rants? Opinions?

Jaimoe

VJ: So this is where I do what's called a 'throw'

VJ2: Thanks for throwing it to me- what is it?

VJ: You know you apologize or rather promise live music and then throw to the clip trip

CLIP TRIP

VJ2: We're back and now we're going to the floor

VJ: So you're a person at a concert huh?

ATTENDEE: Yep.......

my favorite part of the coverage was they were showing a big crowd waiting for a glimpse of the stones outside their hotel... the band came out one at a time and into limo's and the crowd went nuts... predictable, mick flashed a sharp smile and a wink (no keith)

then they showed this guy who had flown over from Germany waiting by himself with a jacket covered in ac/dc buttons and he explained he's waiting to see angus (with a semi-drunken slur) he's been at the last 12 shows... lo and behold out pops angus and buddy starts yellin "hey! oi!" and angus gives a quick wave and leaps in his limo

right on wierdo buddy ac/dc fan! [big Grin]

Hey megrocker, I wasn't offended, just curious. I figured that you're not the same age as say, Davey Boy and Booche.

The Australia ABC story seemed to be written by ABC USA. Still, it was full of inaccuracies about Canada. It's going to take years for this beef and SARS thing to blow-over.

Now, live on TV, the Rolling Sto. . .

Viewers angry at abbreviated show

VINAY MENON

TORONTO STAR

For the people who were there, it was the concert event of a lifetime. But for people watching at home, it was the rip-off of the year.

Enraged. Disappointed. Furious. Frustrated.

That's how thousands of Canadian viewers felt as the massive "Toronto Rocks" concert unfolded in Downsview Park on Wednesday.

Many had tuned to MuchMoreMusic in the afternoon, and later CBC Television, expecting to see "a live concert" headlined by the Rolling Stones.

Instead, as a result of the complex broadcast agreement, viewers were given a "live package" that included highlights, interviews and other recorded segments.

"It was just terrible," said Scott Hamilton, a fan of AC/DC and Rush, who watched from Burlington and yesterday started an on-line petition to protest the broadcast.

"Basically, what they were advertising was 11 hours of live coverage. And then you got on there and all it was was a bunch of old videos and interviews. It was just an outrage that they lied to everybody."

David Kines, vice-president and general manager of MuchMoreMusic, acknowledged the anger but said, "There was a disconnect with some people."

"People just made the assumption that the concert was going to be on TV," Kines said. "Rights issues prohibited us from showing the entire concert. Trust me, we would have loved to show the whole thing."

Indeed, a review of news releases and other materials makes it clear the concert was never to be broadcast live and in its entirety. But this is of cold comfort to those who felt "ripped off," "lied to" and "cheated."

By nightfall, when the Rolling Stones were on stage and CBC host Ralph Benmergui was interviewing some wide-eyed hottie from Florida, you could almost hear the sound of clenched fists pounding into walls from coast to coast.

What seems to have frustrated viewers most was a lack of on-screen information that would have explained why the concert wasn't being shown in real time.

After a few hours, the "live" tag on MuchMoreMusic seemed more like a cruel joke than an accurate description.

Not surprisingly, the MuchMoreMusic chat forum was beset with angry messages yesterday from viewers who clearly got no satisfaction.

"This has to be the worst coverage ever!" wrote one, echoing the sentiments of dozens. "Two-minute live features and 50 minutes of music videos and taped interviews. The other eight minutes are commercials."

Added another: "It's just all so very sad and frustrating — I'm a 30-minute walk from the concert but thought that I would be better off watching it at home ... what a mistake!!!"

Ruth-Ellen Soles, head of media relations for CBC, said, "We were navigating our way through technical, production and rights issues right up to the concert."

The CBC, like MuchMoreMusic, was restricted in what it could air. Under the agreement with concert organizers, the public broadcaster was allowed to show only one song for most performers.

For bands The Guess Who, AC/DC and Rush, the CBC was allowed to broadcast two songs. And for the Stones, CBC was permitted to show one recorded song ("Start Me Up") and three live songs ("Honky Tonk Woman," "Satisfaction" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash").

"We were very, very careful in the way we promoted this," Soles said.

"I don't think we misled our viewers. We were very careful about getting excited over stuff we knew we could deliver. And we were very careful about the wording. It's not our style to promise something and not deliver. We have nothing to gain by that."

Overnight data showed the concert — attended by nearly half a million revellers — was a ratings success.

Between 9 and 11:45 p.m., CBC Television drew 1.589 million viewers. That number jumped to 1.806 million between 11 and 11:30 p.m., when the frenzied end of the Stones' set was broadcast live.

Similarly, MuchMoreMusic also attracted a large audience, especially for a specialty cable channel. From noon until 11:40 p.m., the event drew more than 380,000. That number nearly doubled to 682,000 between 9 and 11:40 p.m.

But despite all the local hoopla and breathless hype, was the concert's biggest, post-SARS objective met? Are people outside of Toronto more inclined to visit now that the ample dust has settled and Mick, Keith and the boys have moved on?

My guess: No.

Aside from CNN, which sent a crew to Toronto and aired more than eight segments, American television coverage was hopelessly anemic. The major U.S. broadcasters — NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox — barely mentioned the concert. Ditto for international broadcasters.

In the end, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

For those who attended, the concert will surely live on in pleasant memory.

But for those who attempted to watch it on TV — especially those who expected to see a flashbulb event à la the 1985 Live Aid concert — Wednesday's broadcast will not be fondly recalled to grandchildren 30 years from now.

"I'm still outraged," Scott Hamilton says. "Nothing comes close to this."

True Story follows: Before I even met you Bouche, I saw you dancing at CTMF in the regalia above and said aloud (to my gf and others):

"Check out the hassidic cutting a rug"

Now don't get all offended because I am a part of the J-Crew. But did anyone ever tell you you fit the part? or do you play the part? Gay Burton Cummings? Burton looks like Billy K? Is Billy K gay? This post is going nowhere because it's Friday.

The End

Hey all! As someone who was down in the States before and during this, I have to say that unfortunately I don't think it got nearly the coverage that organizers would have hoped. Seeing all the Star covers for the last 6 days when I got home (forgot to cancel the paper, duh!) it looks like it was promoted like it was the next Woodstock or Live Aid, but most of the folks I talked to in the States didn't even know it was happening, and the news coverage on CNN etc. was a 30 second in their hourly update, no big story or feature that I saw anyway.

At any rate, hope those that were there enjoyed it, it sound like the TV coverage was pretty lame but perhaps at some point they'll put together a special or something with a few more of the live performances - one can hope anyway...

Peace,

Mr. M.

Scott Feschuk is the TV critic for the National Post and I love his shit mainly because he's cynical as fuck and watches alot of TV. His article today is Something was miss on TV - the concert. Basically does a timeline of the coverage with Jian 'Vibe' Gomeshi's 'vibe' updates: 12:35 'awesome vibe'; 1:33 'Very, very great vibe here'; 5:17...I've been here every hour telling you how positive the vibe is..' While simultaneously Karina Huber of Much More Music tells people about the 'swarms of people': 'People! they're just everywhere'; 'I have never seen a crowd this big in my life!' The cut ups are great though pick up the Post for sure or check it online. The best one: 'What a disaster. Whoever negotiated the broadcasting rights to this concert ought to be handed a single moist towelette and forced to clean the site's 3,500 Port-O-Lets'

Archived