Jambands.ca

The Police may reunite in 2007!

TimmyB

[blurb]I can not believe this might happen! If it does I hope the Police will have European dates in early July when I will be already across the Atlantic Ocean.

Either way here's hoping for a huge World Tour from Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland.

[/blurb]

Tim

From www.dailymail.co.uk

Police fans may soon be walking on the moon again

By JAMES TAPPER, Mail on Sunday

Last updated at 21:25pm on 30th December 2006

Sting is in talks to re-form The Police and tour with the group - 30 years after they were formed.

The band, who rank alongside The Rolling Stones and The Beatles among the greats of rock, are considering playing a series of dates in the UK next summer.

Consisting of Sting on bass and vocals, drummer Stewart Copeland and guitarist Andy Summers, the group have been in discussions for months.

They became one of the biggest bands of the Eighties with hits including Walking On The Moon, Every Breath You Take, Don't Stand So Close To Me and Message In A Bottle.

News that they are re-forming will surprise fans as Sting, 55, has always resolutely opposed the move in the past.

Sources say rehearsals have been pencilled in to take place before Sting begins the February leg of his latest European tour and after Copeland has finished his stint as a judge in the BBC celebrity duet show Just The Two Of Us.

The record label, A&M, is believed to be planning a special anniversary release in June and the tour dates would coincide with that.

A source said: 'They were intending to announce it in January after all the tour dates had been finalised.

'They are speaking to venues about booking dates in May and June. Everyone who knows about it is incredibly excited because they were a legendary band.'

A spokeswoman for A&M confirmed discussions had taken place but denied there were any firm dates for concerts.

She said: 'Next year is the 30th anniversary of the release of Roxanne, the first Police single. It is our intention to mark the anniversary by doing something special with the band's catalogue of songs.

'Needless to say, everyone is hopeful the band will support our plans and while early discussions have taken place, nothing has been decided.'

Miles Copeland, the former manager of The Police and brother of Stewart, said: 'It's the 30th anniversary and there has been mention of this for some time, but I can't comment.'

Stewart formed The Police in 1977 with Sting. Miles recognised the power of their blend of pop, punk and reggae and got them a record deal when he heard Roxanne, the first of many worldwide hits.

It is huge...... I could never see them doing this JUST in the UK. IF it happens, lets assume there'll be North American dates too. Probably at $250 a ticket.

$250 might be the top ticket price for the first twenty or thirty rows. But I'm sure if the Police toured this year the majority of the ticket prices would range from $100-$150 and possibly with a handful under the $100 range.

People will pay it to be sure, including myself.

Tim

....and possibly with a handful under the $100 range.

Good Lord!

I'd never say that it is wrong for someone to pay $250 for a concert ticket if they feel it is good value for them. It is a choice after all. The market demands what it will bear.

But isn't it amazing how the average price of concert tickets has skyrocketed well beyond rates of inflation? Maybe it is particularly a problem regarding the larger acts? I know you can still get great value for $12 - $20 at smaller venues these days.

I hope they do play Bonnaroo just for the sheer perversity of that whole festival's ticket price probably winding up being somewhere around what you might otherwise pay for a single night of The Police at the nearest arena.

btw, I'm not begrudging anyone paying what they wish to see their heroes. It's just regretful that more humble people are priced out of the joys of live music on a big scale. I suspect that too often these shows become 18,000 polite yet glum people sitting dead still for three hours, all trying to make sure no-one else's fun ruins them of their $125 night out, thereby guaranteeing no-one has much fun.

Having said all that, if The Police tour, and I can afford a ticket, I'd go and try to have as much fun as possible, because that would be a tremendous show!

$250 might be the top ticket price for the first twenty or thirty rows. But I'm sure if the Police toured this year the majority of the ticket prices would range from $100-$150 and possibly with a handful under the $100 range.

i don't believe it. my prediction is:

the first 20 rows will be auctioned at >$1000/ticket, and there will be absolutely no seats for under $100.

that said, eat it up... enjoy!! i hope i win tickets on the radio.

Does this mean that the police are reuniting because of money? Why do bands that get back together charge so much. Why not charge 60-80 dollars for the most expensive seat? They must realize some of their biggest fans dont have the money to see them if they are tocharge over 100 dollars a ticket.

They must realize some of their biggest fans dont have the money to see them if they are tocharge over 100 dollars a ticket.

Of course they realise that; they also realise that some not-too-hardcore fans or new people would be more than willing to shell out big time.

it's a commodity.

This has been a long time in coming. They are one of the few "legendary bands" along with Van Halen, that could actually reunite as all the original members are alive.

Can't wait.

I hope they do a decent size tour. I'd really like to see them somewhere indoors. Bonnaroo would not be my ideal venue for this band at all.