Jambands.ca

Get Crunk for NewRider!

NewRider

I'll definitely be staying out of bars for a while. My first sobirety attempt ended poorly because I figured I could still go into a bar and just have one or two. I quickly realized that I cannot do that.

I just hope that me going sober doesn't hurt the economy too much.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after a month of not drinking at all a few years back I found I could do a beer or two a night at the bar pretty comfortably... I didn't love drinking enough to bother drinking at home alone or anything though

everyone's different, but if you can do it, you'll know when you actually have the ability to do it... if you get the itch, just make sure you leave

All the best to you on your journey. As someone who also had to walk away from the booze (almost nine years now) I want to reassure you that it can be done. At first it sucks, and you do have to really control your environment. Even the first few times I went out after quitting it felt like I wasn't getting the punch line of a joke or something, just really akward. But after a while you become more comfortable with yourself and the allure of getting all hammered starts to fade. Plus no one ever misses the hangovers, blackouts, hospitalizations, etc. Good luck and PM me if you need a friend.

[quote=NewRider

I hope in a few months I can come back out and have "normal" conversations with all of you in person

St. Catherines was a nice exchange for that reason!

Definitely pulling for you! Just putting this "out there" the way that you are, gives me faith that you are ready to "get real" about it all...

Best regards

The most fun I have ever had was at CTMF a couple years ago when I was 8 months pregnant. I was totally sober all weekend and loved it. I could hold conversations, see EVERYTHING and remember EVERYTHING and wake up feeling like a million bucks every morning. I know you can do it too Aaron... well, besides the pregnant part.

Remember this guy though? Bet he felt like a pile of shit when he woke up with bacon in his ears and mustard stains on his face.

ctmf7.jpg

Gator has been so optimistic lately... his eyes are so open to everything. It's been incredible. We thought for sure people would raz him and egg him on, but it's been the complete opposite... everyone has been so supportive.

It's a hard nut to crack.

And a good part of the reason I am in Okotoks, Alberta (hard to find a bad influence round these parts)

I was wondering where you were!! I'm glad to hear that you're in a good place, ooh, the positivity of this thread is making me queasy!

Cheers to you all, I'm just being a jerk about the queasy part.

WOW....I'm so impressed with your effort (and recognition of its need) Aaron!!!!

I totally commend you!

Hoping that as each day passes, you feel a little stronger and feel the benefits a little more. Sounds like you've got lots of love and support from this community....don't be afraid to draw on it when needed!

(umm, yeah....ignore my avatar if you can ;):P )

I used to play Server (Anglican for Altar Boy) at church when I was a kid. I sometimes think that's what got me on the booze in the first place (nothing like getting a buzz on at 10 in the morning on a Sunday when you're asked to finish off the remaining wine in the cups).

I guess, given the wedding at Cana, that Jesus had a hearty appreciation of good wine, though I think I might have heard of Terence McKenna saying something about his predilection for mushrooms; I could be remembering wrong, though.