Jambands.ca

Get Crunk for NewRider!

NewRider

Some people on here know, most probably don't. I've recently decided to take an extended break from booze and partying. If ya saw me in rOCtober you would understand why. The way I abuse alcohol has really affected my life poorly. I've lost good jobs, a great woman, friends and most of my cd's (thanks Beat Goes On). I moved back to Milton with my folks at the begining of Nov. to get my life back on track. Things went pretty smoothly for a long time and then I slipped again. It's really difficult to walk away from the party. This is obviously why I stayed home and sober on NYE. I'm seeing people about this problem because I feel I don't have much control anymore. It's upsetting to know that it's come to this but at the same time sobriety has really made me feel things I haven't felt in years.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this as clearly most of you won't give a shit. I guess I just felt I need to go public about the problems I'm dealing with right now. I hope by 2008 I can be back on track with my life and enjoy things in moderation and completely stay away from a lot of other demons then move back to Guelph (Sin City)

"This old town is filled with sin

It will swallow you in

If you've got some money to burn

Take it home right away

You've got three years to pay

But Satan is waiting his turn

The scientists say

It will all wash away

But we don't believe any more

Cause we've got our recruits

And our green mohair suits

So please show your I.D. at the door"

- Gram Parsons

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm not really sure why I'm posting this as clearly most of you won't give a sh!t."

NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!!!!

I'm sure i'm not the only one who cares very much about your well being.

After all, who else do i know that looks like a wet poodle?

Good luck Aaron. Your a strong person. Use your strength ..... it can be done. My father quit drinking (straight vodka, 7 days a week) cold turkey almost 1.5 years ago....

You can do it!

Be careful not to fall into the "I'll have just one" trap as well.

The worst trap ever! It's ruined every attempt in the past to sober up. Thank you all for the support. As I'm sure a lot of you know it's not easy. The goal is to be able to go out, have a good time but without getting passed out drunk and putting a lot of crap up my nose that does not belong there. Anyone that knows me knows this was a long time coming. I really want to be able to do this without the aid of rehab but if it comes to that, so be it. It's very helpful to see an addiction counciler that isn't religious. I had my first meeting with her yesterday and I explained to her at the first mention of "god", "lord", "jesus" or whatever I'm out the door! I wasn't an alcoholic because of christ and I'm not gonna stop being one because of him.

I hope in a few months I can come back out and have "normal" conversations with all of you in person and be able to NOT have drunken outburst and take swings at some of you (sorry BlindWillieMcTell)!

Thanks again guys

What you are doing is something that will improve your life for the rest of your life. Most people never have the courage to face these major life obstacles. The good news is that you are on the path and with each day you march closer to success and healthy living for your mind and body.

Please take this to heart: Your problem with alcohol is not your life. It is a part of your life. It does not define who you are. Your good will to others, life experiences and friendships define who your are. Never loose sight of this.

My thoughts are with you...

I know you can do it.

wow.

aaron, you are very brave to 'fess up to having problems and to be willing to tackle them.

you should be very pleased that you have gotten as far as you have....you are basically in the process of saving your own life. you will make it, you have the love and support of lots of folks here....

NR,

We've talked about these issues at various times in Guelph and I will say here what I've said previously.

You're a really good guy and have too strong a mind than to succumb to these pressures. You are loved by many and have the full support of our (what the thunder said) community and skanks alike.

Much love brother,

Deeps

Aaron-much love,best wishes.My advice again is this-the nose and throat demons tend to pursue most ardently those with great brains who are lost for direction.The hectic miasma of crazy making occupies the mind enough to trick into not feeling bored.Find a direction for your awesome brain and the rest will follow.Stop putting off going back to school -do it.You've got heart babe-ao glad you are ready to tackle your biggest enemy-YOU( just like any of us)

Aaron--I remember my Dad told me about a line from an old Clint Eastwood film; that has always stuck with me. "A man (or woman) needs to know his (or her) limitations"

This stuck with me; I think of it whenever I am tempted to allow artificial pleasures to take precedence over responsibilities.

Good luck.