Jambands.ca

Get Crunk for NewRider!

NewRider

again, thanks people. What's really changed about me the most is my musical taste. I can no longer sit and listen to Gram Parsons and Townes Van Zandt without a drink in hand so I've had to move to other directions.

Now I've become OBSESSED with an old favorite, Neutral Milk Hotel! And now I find myself getting excited about all the Elephant Six recording artists like Apples In Stereo, Olivia Tremor Control and Elf Power especially!!! I also crave things like The Shins and their new album coming out Jan. 23 is AWESOME! Busted back out the ol' Sebadoh records and as much as I love my country music I just can't hear it right now.

VIVA LA LO FI!!!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to fomally appologize for anyone that had to deal with me at 2006's Caution Jam's Boat Cruise! I remember absolutely NOTHING and I'm very appreciative that you people didn't toss me off the boat!

A lot of you have seen me at my worst so I guess this is why I decided to come clean on here. Bless you all for being so forgiving. Sarahbelle, I've known you now for like over SEVEN FUCKING YEARS!!! Thank you so much!

XOXO

i'm going through exactly what you wrote. me and miranda are split up and its all because of me being a drunken idiot. i've embarassed myself, my family, my girlfriend, my son and most of all some good friends including most people on this board. so let this be a turning point for both of us.

i know i'm a good person/friend but i can also be a person who gets way out of hand, drunk as fuÇk and can't remember doing anything wrong. my friends, family and miranda have given me many chances .. so now i must take my lumps(thanks thorgnor!!!).

i spent NYE as the DD.. first sober nye in 16 years!!! it felt great i had two beers and one pc 0% . i remember everything. i know i can get through this and so can you arron. my problem is control and moderation.. so i've been setting limits for myself and letting all my friends know i need their help just like you've done.

"all good things in all good time" my brother

keep in touch

Edited by Guest

I would also like to fomally appologize for anyone that had to deal with me at 2006's Caution Jam's Boat Cruise! I remember absolutely NOTHING and I'm very appreciative that you people didn't toss me off the boat!

you know, there are...photos...from that weekend. if that type of thing might help deter you in the future.

you already know how i feel about all of this. you've got all my love and support. good on ya buddy.

Aaron-much love,best wishes.My advice again is this-the nose and throat demons tend to pursue most ardently those with great brains who are lost for direction.The hectic miasma of crazy making occupies the mind enough to trick into not feeling bored.Find a direction for your awesome brain and the rest will follow.Stop putting off going back to school -do it.You've got heart babe-ao glad you are ready to tackle your biggest enemy-YOU( just like any of us)

Brillant !!!

You can do it man! Best of luck to you in 007...

I think I can relate to these sentiments as well or better than most. I've made some strides in my life but also slipped periodically of late. I think I'm the only person who drinks four beers, smokes a couple joints then goes for a 5 km. run. I live on extremes I guess. I'd recommend the fitness part though (minus the beers) even just walking really helps for me.

I'll repeat what others have said another version of the 'I'll have just one'. The formal difference your addiction counsellor will tell you is that you and I and others like us (this community is full of them) are true addicts- we have the disease of addiction. Others can abuse drugs or alcohol then just stop or go back to their productive lives- we'll just keep winding the bottom of the drain.

The other thing -and I learned this in rehab from a great doctor who was a recovering alcoholic himself- is that 'if you spend enough time in a barbershop you're going to get a haircut'. It's by way of saying slippery people, places and things. If you want to make a go of this you'll have to stay out of the places you love for a while - maybe a long while- the music places. It's sort of a variation on 'a guy walks into a bar looking for a sandwich and a glass of milk'. You see the guy really wants a sandwich and a glass of milk. It's like Gary Busey said- denial is like a giant neon sign flashing DENIAL above your head.

This is beautiful. Thanks for taking the effort to be an inspiration. Not just the goal that you are after but the fact that you came out and opened your problems and realizations with the rest of us.

Hopefully any friends that may have been enablers and are now aware of your goals will respect them and honour you your wishes.

I promise I will never offer to buy you a beer the next time I see you. Not that I would have anyway ;)

Hey Aaron, either way, whatever happens, you know I got your back buddy...but do remember, we've had many a good time without being messed up (albeit usually on the way somewhere to get messed up). Still, you've got a strong will and I think you've got it in you to break the pattern. I think I agree with zero though, that it may be a good idea to take a break from any old haunts for awhile. Anyway, chin up, stay healthy and keep smiling! See ya soon - K :)

hey Aaron - you know you have my support. You're a good man and I have every confidence you'll go out of 2007 feeling way better than how you went in!

Luke makes a great point: probably best to stay away from places (and to an extent, people) that may trigger a relapse. Remember, while Luke makes a prescient point that this community is full of people with addictive personalities there are also plenty of people who DON'T abuse alcohol or drugs, and they have just as good a time as the rest of us who are busy getting ripped.

Stick with it and I guarantee you will be an example to those around you to take a good hard look in the mirror as well. Honestly, how many people here might stop to say "well if Aaron can do it......."

rock on brother. BTW, my non-alcoholic beer of choice is President Choice Lager.