Jambands.ca

NRPS and Fat Cats @ Pepper Jack's

briguy

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too had a great night all in all.

Thanks to Marc and Laurie for having me over for a pre-drink and toot. I am glad that MarcO, Sarahbelle, Hippyrastachild and I survived the cab ride over. I felt like we were in some kind of police chase... psycho driver with something to prove...a little scary, but we made it nonetheless.

I was a little dissapointed/shocked when we first arrived, (I'm sure some of you may know what I am referring to here, but I'd rather not dwell on that right now...) I then proceeded to go up to use the washroom, only to twist my ankle on the stairs on the way back down (i'm a knob). So my vibe initially took a bit of a downturn, because I hadn't exactly envisioned spending my night on the sidelines in pain. I wanted to boogie dammit!! Fortunately, it was a relatively minor sprain (old injury), and I had enough beer and smoke in me at the time to ignore my discomfort... enough to pull off a decent hobble shuffle anyways.

Finally NRPS begins, and my excitement returns. After their first song finished Buddy Cage had a beer poured/dropped on him and his instrument from the balcony up above. What a welcoming bunch we are! But although he was clearly irritated he took it like a champ and forged along. I thought things were a little choppy for the first couple of songs, but as their set rolled on things just got better and better.

Actually I was very much impressed. I was expecting a good show, but they even surpassed my expectations. Holy moly were they EVER in the pocket! So smooth! That slide guitar just made me melt. A great combo of tasty originals (minus one or two songs that I thought were a little lyrically cheesy) and a couple of super fun, sentimental covers. They played for a long time. I thought when they first decided to take a set break (which must have been pretty late into the night), that we would be lucky if they even got back on stage, or that we'd only get a short second set (due to the predictable 420 shennanigans), however they delivered second set, and kept me moving well into the wee hours of the morning. I wasn't surprised to hear that they ended after three.

The crowd was awesome too. Many good folks pokin around. What a treat to get to see this band in my own backyard (and at the pepperjacks at that!!!)

Thanks Bri, kc and anyone else who was involved in making this night a success.

I am TOTALLY looking forward to seeing NRPS again. Hopefully next time I will be grooving under the sun, on the sand at Gratefulfest. Bring it on!

Very psychedelic moments throughout.

great to see lots o good folks out lettin loose, a great big happy (for the most part) gathering... pleasing to see so many kind familiar faces

highlights of seeing NRPS for me were really mostly found in the jams... they create some truly beautiful spaces when they extend a song, can't beat the dreamy sounds of the pedal steel for that sort of thing... also hearing those old favorite tunes played by a band I never really thought I'd see was a real treat

nice

I was a little dissapointed/shocked when we first arrived, (I'm sure some of you may know what I am referring to here, but I'd rather not dwell on that right now...)

As someone who couldn't make it to Hamilton for the show, I'm at the edger of my seat for the rest of this story.

I had a great time :D NRPS are really great and it was a pleasure to see them!!! I got pretty tired during the set though.. I am getting old (and probably oversmoked myself) ahhaa

but yeah.. it was really fun and it was great to see Pepperjacks packed and full of people jivin out to some sweet sounds :D

woohoo!

I was a little dissapointed/shocked when we first arrived' date=' (I'm sure some of you may know what I am referring to here, but I'd rather not dwell on that right now...)[/quote']

As someone who couldn't make it to Hamilton for the show, I'm at the edger of my seat for the rest of this story.

Yeah, me too. Dish!

Basically the drummer from the Fat Cats is without wheels and usually carts his kit in from Toronto on the bus. Sometimes, in the past when there is more than one band on the bill Adam will share a kit (both for his own convenience and also to minimize tear-down/set-up time between bands). As far as I understand there was some communication back and forth with the manager of NRPS to see whether this type of set-up was going to be okay. By Friday afternoon he seemed to think that this was promising but it was made clear that there was no guaruntee that this was okay until he verified this with the drummer himself. Adam made the unfortunate assumption that all would be gravy, and hopped on the bus without his full kit and was notified while in transit that he would need to have his own kit there. He did not have enough time at this point to get back to Toronto, grab his drums, hop back on the bus and make it to Hamilton in time for the show. Efforts that had been previously made to ensure that there was a back-up plan also fell through.

As I'm sure you can all appreciate members of the Fat Cats were dissapointed to let anyone down (namely the audience, Brian and Kenny), and had been very much looking forward to rockin it out and playing some new material for the first time. Anyhow they forged ahead and played without a drummer (which actually sounded better than I thought it would thanks to Dave stepping it up on the bass, and Todd being extra percussive with the guitar)

Anyhow, after this unfortunate and embarassing circumstance the band would like to put this behind them, and look forward to getting back on the mark this upcoming weekend in Kitchener.

Anyhow they forged ahead and played without a drummer (which actually sounded better than I thought it would thanks to Dave stepping it up on the bass, and Todd being extra percussive with the guitar)

It's quite surprising how you end up not missing drums, and how excellent things can sound when you've got a few excellent musicians playing without a net.