Jambands.ca

Good Spot to Live in TO?

YearsAlongTheSea

So, I'm looking for a good spot to live in TO. I don't rage, I like space, especially outdoors, and I like my privacy. Would like to live relatively close to downtown but not right in the concrete Jungle. I have a dog and a car, which I'd like to not have to use too much but still makes it tough to be right in the core anyways. I may be looking for a 2-Bdrm to split with my brother as you can probably get more bang for your buck that way. So, areas I've been eyeing are cabbagetown, Little Italy, Danforth, etc... I don't know Toronto too well yet, so, if anyone has some feedback, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

I never lived on the Danforth but I always marvelled at it. I had friends out at Danforth and Greenwoods. They lived pretty cheaply in a shared place and the area wasn't terribly rough. And the subway is right there, that'll avoid car use.

I lived on Queen West for a year. It was a good hood for seeing a lot of music and hanging out at fun places, and the streetcar service is pretty good, but I think there are other unsung neighbourhoods in the city.

The streetcar service along St. Clair is being improved, I've considered the neighbourhood west of St. Clair West station. Bloor West too, for sure, High Park and west of there.

Good luck man

I live on The Danforth (Broadview and Danforth) in a great apartment building. The neighbourhood is extremely healthy and vibrant and The Danforth is tough to beat for food, parks and shopping (plus the pubs are generally excellent). The best parts of Danforth to live in are between Broadview and Jones (even Donlands). The further east you go the sketchier it gets, particularily Danforth and Coxwell, Greenwood or Victoria Park.

Cabbagetown is great in the day but scary at night. Bloor West and the Roncesvalle areas are cool, but way the hell west. I like Little Italy. I'd personally live there as my second choice. Leslieville is an up-and-coming area too.

I lived five years at Bloor and Yonge, five at Gerrard and Church and two in Kensington Market. I have friends from all parts of Toronto and wouldn't switch places with them - I've been in Riverdale (Danforth) for three years and I won't move.

I'm seriously seriously wondering the same thing. Please advice people for a safe quiet nice place. Please. i'm thinking college and ossington

I find the west end busier than the east. For noise I'd also avoid the Yonge & Eglinton region, although Davisville is pretty good.

Riverdale is quiet, other than the streetcar noise. Even the DVP doen't bother me since Riverdale Park is an excellent noise buffer.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, I'm liking the Danforth for the city within a park aspect...

Two parks actually. Withrow Park is right in the middle of Riverdale, just a minute walk from Danforth. You can also walk over the footbridge over to Riverdale Farm in Cabbagetown. I live right around the corner from the Danforth Music Hall and Allen's.

Edited by Guest

I have lived in the same area for about 5 years and i love it, kinda Little Portugal area, Dupont and Christie (about a block west of Bathurst and The Annex, one block north of Bloor) Can get anywhere in the city in about half an hour, relatively cheap. Nice quiet neighbourhood streets.

Isn't there a blue grass night at the one bar right there too?

What nights good for blues at the Black Swan? Do they have food too?

Riverdale and Leslieville are great - but if you're looking for easy access to night life go little Italy.

True' date=' but if pubs are more your style, then Riverdale will suit your needs. Plus, the infamous blues dump The Black Swan is at Danforth and Broadview.

[/quote']

"Isn't there a blue grass night at the one bar right there too?

What nights good for blues at the Black Swan? Do they have food too?"

Well, Tony "Wild T" Springer has an open mic night on Wednesdays. The Swan books blues bands all the time, so just check the sign out front. The second floor is where they play. Downstairs is a scuzzy dive. The Swan has pub food. I'd rather eat at the 80 restaurants in the neighbourhood including the pub I listed below.

The Old Nick on the corner of Broadview and Danforth has bluegrass every Sunday - late afternoon until 8pm or so. The band is excellent, but they tune their instruments too much and for far too long between songs. Still, they are hardcore bluegrassers. Open mic night at the Nick is on Tuesdays and is usually pretty darn good.

Edited by Guest

Queen East is starting to burgeon. Lots of galleries opening, really nice restaurants, close to the beaches and lots of bike trails. It only takes about ten minutes to bike downtown. It can be slightly sketchy at times, but hey it is Toronto, it can be sketchy anywhere.