Jambands.ca

the Simpsons Movie - coming to a Springfield near you.

timouse

_41510602_simpsons_ap203b.jpg

Sixteen Cities named Springfield competing to host the premiere of the Simpsons Movie.

The cartoon series is based in its own fictional town of Springfield - creator Matt Groening has said he chose it because it is a common US city name.

Film company 20th Century Fox will pick a winning short film submitted by the real-life cities about community life.

The fictional Springfield boasts several prisons and a nuclear plant. The series is now in its 18th year.

"There's plenty of serious issues to talk about, but this is something that we might as well try to have a little fun with," the mayor of Springfield, Oregon, Sid Leiken, told local newspaper the Register-Guard.

Worldwide success

The Simpsons revolves around the antics of bald, beer-guzzling family man Homer and his spiky-haired son Bart.

It is the longest-running prime-time entertainment series on television in the US and a worldwide hit.

There has long been speculation about whether it would be turned into a film.

Groening has said that the animated hit would keep going as long as he and his colleagues could keep generating fresh ideas.

"That's what you're looking for in television - surprise," he added.

• 4 months later...

What a great time. I was laughing out loud through the whole movie. Kids were transfixed as well. I didnt even get asked for a trip to the snackbar at any point and my wallet thanked me on the way out. The Frederick twin is running it in Ktown for 6 buck ticket anytime - kids under 12 4.75. best movie deal in town.

One loose end for me though...anyone know what happened to 'Spiderpig'?

I'm assuming he was eaten during the Springfield meltdown days.

I downloaded a watchable handy cam version of this, and to my amazement the thing I noticed the most was that no one in the theater was laughing (or at least loud enough to be caught on tape).

For me it had some funny spots, but to be honest, I have seen single TV episodes that were funnier. (eg: Grimey)