Jambands.ca

Best female rock singer ever!

phishtaper

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know, i've actually really developed an appreciation for courtney love over the last few months. i've always thought she was smart, funny & fascinating, but i was never a die hard hole fan, so beyond the kurt connection, i didn't know much about her. i got her book as a gift for christmas (a collection of diary entries, pictures & miscellanous bits of her life -- incl. her rejection letter from the mickey mouse club -- her audition consisted of reading a sylvia plath poem... she was 11. haha), and she has led one hell of a life. reform schools, juvenile hall, one of the most fucked up families you can possibly imagine, and she's lived all over the world. japan, new zealand, england, ireland, all over the u.s. it's a very intimate look into her life, which of course includes kurt (who i have always loved immensely).

in addition to that, a few months ago, i found this website that she posts messages on from time-to-time (and yes, it is really her -- i don't think anyone on this planet could fake the things that come out of her head). the media has always portrayed her to be such a monster, so you can imagine how shocking it was to discover that courtney love has a very kind, sweet, endearing and downright adorable side to her. she is sober, she has a fantastic-sounding daughter that she loves more than anything, she is ambitious, she is hard working and she is a survivor.

plus she is badass, not afraid to speak her mind, and nothing against janis' talent, but what has janis done lately? oh yeah, that's right, courtney is the one that's still alive (against all odds). janis is arguably a legend, but courtney is WAY more rock n' roll.

Plus her music's really, really good.

I don't lump Janice into the list of female rock singers. She was blues to her soul and her soul fueled her blues.

Sure, Courtney is this generation's Janice in terms of influence. I'll take Chrissie Hynde as the best female rock singer ever... and Patti Smith for punk.

i didn't earlier in this thread, but i these genres are pretty broad and vague, which is fine, but i see chrissie hynde as a pop singer. there was no real "rock" in the pretenders. i'd put debbie harry in with chrissie hynde if the category allows. i dunno. love her voice and songs, i'm not knocking her, just the category.

kathleen hanna - rock singer. joan jett - rock singer (not so good). shirley manson, kim gordon, kim deal, grace slick, donita sparks (L7), those are "rock" singers. would heyday Tina Turner be rock?

just my opinions, i hate the 'genrefication' but it's neccessary sometimes. i shouldn't pay so much attention to the title of threads perhaps. :)

emily haines as best rock singer? cmon.

big ups to bradm for recognising melissa aur der mar as amazing.

If lyrics, performance and sex appeal have anything to do with it.

ah yes, along with "genrefication" there are the differences in criteria. not to mention opinion.

she's a good looking girl (sometimes), but i find her lyrics kinda pedestrian, and her singing certainly not that great. great performer, definitely.

i was using just singing in my picks. but you raise some good criteria that are for sure being used.

kim gordon, kim deal, grace slick, donita sparks (L7), those are "rock" singers. would heyday Tina Turner be rock?

big ups to bradm for recognising melissa aur der mar as amazing.

Kim Gordon! Yeah, how come she wasn't mentioned until now? She's definitely up there and she seems cool too and level-headed.

I like Courtney Love but she disappoints me when she gets any plastic surgery done. Looks shouldn't matter (unfortunately, they do matter for women in any field, and looks always become a criteria, whereas it's not as much for men). She actually looked better before the surgeries. It's sad that she thinks she has to compete that way. Anyway, Courtney has the kinda voice I like for females, deep, raunchy and not very pretty.

I like Fiona Apple also, at least her last album. She has a softer voice though and she's more alternative piano rock/pop.

that's too bad, I really love Etta James, I guess because of her lack of sex appeal (for me), she wouldn't ever win best anything. Such a waste of talent.

Nice call. Etta is fuckin' awesome!!!! I saw her live on a double-bill with Maria Muldaur ... what a night :)

I'm very fond of these two releases of hers:

SME_0101_201005_R82114.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

SME_0101_201005_R82128.70Q_200x200_72dpi_RGB.jpg

that is a beautiful picture of Janis kanada-kev!

my vote would go to her. but palaceprincess raises a good point. you don't hear much of janis these days...

Yup, a great shot of an amazing talent.

These sorts of threads always stir up controversy. "Rock" is a pretty generic category. Pure singing talent vs. showomanship and the balance between. What do we each prefer? Ever since the dawn of the commercial music video, looks will always be in the forefront. Tell me that Janis would even get a chance in this day and age. It's the friggin MUSIC that matters, IMHO. It seems that rock/pop/country are wayyy more concerned with the 'visual' than more roots/folk/blues. Maybe because there isn't as much of a video market?

So, Janis isn't rock? Bjork isn't rock? Courtney rocks more than others rock? Chrissy is pop? Some don't count because they are dead??? There are some artists who have left a bigger mark on music and culture with a very SMALL body of published work than some who've been around for decades.

In the end ... it's all just opinions ... none absolutely right, and none absolutely wrong.

I love Etta James, Koko Taylor, Billie Holiday and the rest of the blues legends. Blues is the springboard to rock, but these greats don't belong in a rock category - nor do I think they would or do like the rock genre in the first place. Emily is fantastic. Time will tell where she'll rank. She certainly should make modern lists.

I like Kim Gordon, but she's a co-singer and occassional front-woman. Same with Kim Deal. I disagree with AD about The Pretenders not being rock. They aren't Hole rock, but they were pretty rocking for the 70's and 80's, far more than Stevie and Christine-led Fleetwood Mac. They may sound pop-rock by today's standards, but back then they were lumped in either new wave or rock. Chrissie's a fine guitarist in her own right and her crunchy Telecaster allowed for her fantastic guitarists to shine like: James Honeyman-Scott, Bill Bremner and Robbie McIntosh. I'm not a real fan of The Pretenders, but to brush them off isn't right.