Jambands.ca

QotD— What's Yer Favourite Painting?

Davey Boy 2.0

Guernica

guernica-init.jpg

I'm not big into visual arts but I saw this in person and all the planning sketches and learned the history behind it and it's truly stunning. Good enough for an art newbie like me.

The Spanish struggle is the fight of reaction against the people, against freedom. My whole life as an artist has been nothing more than a continuous struggle against reaction and the death of art. How could anybody think for a moment that I could be in agreement with reaction and death? ... In the panel on which I am working, which I shall call Guernica, and in all my recent works of art, I clearly express my abhorrence of the military caste which has sunk Spain in an ocean of pain and death.

Link to more info on the mural

in 2000 niffermouse and i went to england for 2 weeks, and in the national gallery i finally "got" impressionist painting looking at "cedars in wheat field" by van gogh. i couldn't find an image of it on line...

a close second is 6302538.2215537.jpg

it's one of jennifer's, 24 ' x 30" and it hangs in our living room.

gainsb26.JPG

GAINSBOROUGH, Thomas: The Blue Boy

The one I have hanging on my wall has the eyes poked out! Some strange intruder must have did it because when I returned from home after the weekend none of my college roomates had any idea how it happened! I will never solve that mystery. ???

Me too Jaimoe, while in Paris in '97 I checked out one of his museums/galleries there, the hostel I stayed was named after him, apparently he painted there. As well, while in Amsterdam, I bought a print of "Skeleton with Burning Cigarette", the Guitarist print was a bit above my price range though.

One of my favourite as well Jaimoe... (although for some reason I couldn't seem to find a copy that I could cut and paste...) (I will never claim to be technically inclined that's for sure)...

The print was one of my first gifts that I ever gave to Todd. It's in our living room. I got it from one of those university poster fairs...

Edited by Guest
can't spell

This one's a little twisted but I have always found it facinating.

magritteva4.jpg

Rene Magritte - The Rape

I think Magritte is an endlessly fascinating artist. I just went to an exhibit of his work that was showing here in Seoul last month and loved it! Except for all of the people who were pontificating about what they thought Magritee was trying to symbolise or represent. If you know anything about Magritte, you know that he hated the idea of symbollism, and thus wasn't trying to "represent" anything in particular with his paintings.

Yay!!!! A thread about Art!!

Except I'm to scared to post a picture in case it turns out to be homeless person cocksucking-not that that isn't art-somewhere (technique???)

I'm a visual art junkie so I couldn't possibly pick one favorite painting.Depends on mood,what I'm working on,etc.

I like this guys stuff right now-he's my favorite of the last week.Grant Barnhart