Jambands.ca

Neil Young @ MASSEY HALL Nov 26, 27 & 29

Kanada Kev

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my thoughts from tuesday...

woke up early but didn't make it out until around 2 for lunch. i am still getting over this cold. had a nice rooftop hot tub, looking out at the CN tower, and a nice nap. decided to skip pegi's set and we arrived just as she was finishing. checked out the merch which made me want a shirt but since i wasn't madly in love with any of them i decided i didn't need one. we had better seats on the floor. the crowd was way better tonight, no yahoos. (not many annoying YOU THE MAN type comments.) the lady sitting in front of me called out for heart of gold just as neil was starting up old man. he stopped and played heart of gold instead. couldn't she have asked for something else though, hehehe ;)

i felt like tonight's acoustic set was tighter. various factors though...the crowd, the seats as well made it more enjoyable. anyway, it absolutely blew me away. ambulance blues was sick. after the gold rush as well. the second set was the same as last night, which might have been why i didn't enjoy it as much as monday night. however, neil seemed to have more energy and was rocking out harder tonight, or so it seemed to me. i didn't enjoy hidden path nearly as much as last night though. the cortez encore was sweet though. what a show.

No time to write a proper review right now but save to say this was one of the best concerts I've ever laid witness to. Absolutely beautiful evening!! Its hard to pick out highlights but I guess "Ambulance Blues" and "Mellow My Mind" are two of them. Also "The Loner" to kick off set II - I wasn't really expecting it, even though its been on all the setlists.. Guess I never really bothered to fully synthesize what I'd been seeing on the screen, to good results. :)

When Neil got all "excited" about someone yelling something about Woodstock, I thought for a sec we might get "Roll Another Number".

I predict "Helpless" for THursday. (I'm not going)

Nice to finally meet you K-Kev! Only other Skanks I saw were Velvet and Phorbesie, sitting a few rows behind me.

Pffft. Clearly that person never listened to Neil's album "Arc". (Then again, I might be the only one who ever did.)

I've got it. Arc and Weld - 3 CD set IIRC.

that was from the 1990 (?) tour. Neil had that giant mic with the yellow ribbon. During the first Iraq war. Social Distortion and Sonic Youth were the openers, which most people just didn't understand, but it made complete sense to me. I think that I was only a handful of people that was actually there and enjoying SYs set. (I enjoyed SD as well)

Al, I totally remember that show. You reminded me of it when you mentioned the big mic with the yellow ribbon. He also had some of the oversized "prop" amps up on stage too, didn't he? (the ones you see on the cover of Rust Never Sleeps).

He was also touring around that year in the old Buffalo Springfield tour bus I think?

Another GREAT show last night. After a night off tonight, i'm really wishing I could make it to Thursday (Helpless, Sultan, Powderfinger ... maybe?)

Interesting seeing the show from a different vantage point in the first balcony. Could get a much better sense of what was going on around the stage. The sound was perfect! Couldn't quite catch the facial expressions on Neil as much as up close on the floor. We had very respectful people all around us ... even the Chatty Cathy dude behind us would shut up whenever the music was on ;)

Had lots of time to relax before the show. Met up with a bunch of friends at The Library and had a few pints. Got to put some more faces to names from this board which is always fun. Had a talk with KevO and his buddy before leaving there. After the show got to bump into TimmyB again and had the pleasure to also meet the lovely Phorbsie, and Velvet outside on Shuter Street. Wish I could have had the time, and the energy, to hang out and party a little. I was exhausted. Trucked home and crashed. Work today was a bitch, but the post show glow still remained ;)

These two shows are bigtime highlights of my live-music going experiences. Never to be forgotten (especially when the recordings come out ) and always cherished.

THANK YOU NEIL.

I'll be there in spirit on Thursday. Have a great show for all those lucky enough to be attending :)

Long may you run....

that was from the 1990 (?) tour. Neil had that giant mic with the yellow ribbon. During the first Iraq war. Social Distortion and Sonic Youth were the openers, which most people just didn't understand, but it made complete sense to me. I think that I was only a handful of people that was actually there and enjoying SYs set. (I enjoyed SD as well)

I saw that tour, too. I was on the floor at Copps Coliseum, and remember totally digging Social Distortion's set, but being a little confused at times during Sonic Youth's performance. I'd like to hear it again now to see if I would feel differently about it. I quite like Sonic Youth these days, but I think at the time I wasn't quite ready for them!

I didn't go but here's the setlist:

11-29-2007, Massey Hall, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

w/ Rick Rosas, Ben Keith, Ralph Molina, Anthony Crawford & Pegi Young

From Hank To Hendrix / Ambulance Blues / Sad Movies / A Man Needs A Maid / No One Seems To Know / Harvest / Journey Through The Past / Try / Mellow My Mind / Love Art Blues / Heart Of Gold / Old Man //

The Loner / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Dirty Old Man / Spirit Road / Bad Fog Of Loneliness / Winterlong / Oh, Lonesome Me / The Believer / No Hidden Path //

Cinnamon Girl / Tonight's The Night / The Sultan

another great night.

i knew what the game plan was by neil over the three nights, and was more than amazed each night....

last night i was up in the nosebleeds with a very young, energetic crowd...

i sat DIRECTLY beside the dude who was told to "SHUT UP (or keep quiet, or whatever neil said)"

It was priceless....the kid went red, and the lady infront of me asked him what it was like to be burned by Neil Young, lol.

No, I didn't get the ticket after all.

By the time I was able to touch base with my buddy it was spoken for (go figure).

I missed out big time.

Oh well, I have way too much work on the go right now anyways. A Neil break would have been a "terrible" idea...yeah...right...

"The Sultan" was the surprise of the night. It was great that a roadie came out dressed as a sultan and banged a gong to start the song and all the way through as well.

It's a song I could very much see the Sadies perform. Interestingly enough I saw Travis and Dallas Good at the show, next time I see them I'm going to bring that up to them.

Now for my final night of 6 pack Neil Young run in Buffalo. Here's hoping for "Campaigner" and/or "Love in Mind" and/or "Kansas."

Tim

last night was great. we ended up right next to timmy b! the crowd had a few losers but i loved it when neil put them in their place, the dude clapping....'who are you playing with?' hehehe

i had been hoping we'd get tonight's the night ever since i saw the setlists someone posted up recently. it was great, neil was groovin. sultan was wacky!

i took a few pics that i'll post up later :)

last night was great. we ended up right next to timmy b! the crowd had a few losers but i loved it when neil put them in their place, the dude clapping....'who are you playing with?' hehehe

i had been hoping we'd get tonight's the night ever since i saw the setlists someone posted up recently. it was great, neil was groovin. sultan was wacky!

i took a few pics that i'll post up later :)

It was nice to see you again phorbesie as well as Velvet.

I didn't notice you taking any pictures, then again it's not like my eyes often left the stage while Neil Young was on it.

Tim

^^^

Yup, and then he said something along the lines of "I've got over 600 other songs to choose from though" :D

Hey, have you ever seen the Neil vid from the BBC back in '70 (or '71)? You can see a bunch of clips from it here:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=neil+young+bbc&search=Search

And I can burn you a copy on DVD if you like, too. AMAZING performance!