Jambands.ca

Hi from Bamako, Mali (back with a few photos)

Blane

popping online for the first time in a while to say a quick hello. been on the road for a bit over a week now and loving the country. great people (despite the occasional hassles) beautiful historical and natural scenery and great friggin' weather.

Will be back in Canada in less than a month now, so I'll look forward to catch up with folks in late october.

ciao!

Edited by Guest

figured I'd put up a couple of photos from the trip. Gord, I got into Bamako at like 1:30am on Friday after a harrowing 12 hour bus ride and couldn't make it out, so no Hogon for me, but did make it to Djembe for some amazing "open mic night" style malian performances. That city is unreal for live music.

Basically, I followed the Niger river from Bamako into Dogon country several hundred kms inland, then worked my way back to the coast. Saw lots of varied and incredible scenery. Well worth the visit if you ever have the chance. didn't make it to Timbuctu as it's a tough slog during the wet season and I was on a limited time budget.

A few images from the journey...

Kids fishing on the Niger

1449137914_2770a41701.jpg

Sunset on the Niger

1448284631_45966a95fc.jpg

More sunset on the Niger

1448284803_a6b76163d0.jpg

Heading into Dogon Country

1448291477_05a1b46959.jpg

Dogon Village

1449141872_df0e5bd257.jpg

Sitting on the Bandiagara escarpment looking toward Burkina Faso

1449146634_7710765065.jpg

The Mosque in Djenne. The largest mud building in the world.

1449159076_763e5e5905.jpg

Female Koranic scholars leaving their school. Djenne is still a city of muslim scholars for west africa. There are schools everywhere.

1449160366_0715bd4f35.jpg

yeah they believe they originally came from Sirius (the star).

Amazing story about that...

In Dogon lore (as transcribed by a French ethnographer in the 1930s or 40s) Sirius is actually 3 stars, one big one, a little one, and one which is invisible and purely energy.

Well western scientists first believed that Sirius was one star, then in the 60s (i believe) with new technology, discovered that there is a much smaller star alongside it. Finally in 1995 with a new super-telescope they discovered that there is indeed a 3rd star to Sirius which is almost invisible to the eye.

Kinda wild eh?

COOL pics!! i love the one of the mud-mosque. looks like it's been around for a very long time.

Well it has and it hasn't...

The Great Mosque of Djenné is the largest mud brick or adobe building in the world and is considered by many architects to be the greatest achievement of the Sudano-Sahelian architectural style, albeit with definite Islamic influences. The mosque is located in the city of Djenné, Mali on the flood plain of the Bani River. The first mosque on the site was built in the 13th century, but the current structure dates from 1907. As well as being the centre of the community of Djenné, it is one of the most famous landmarks in Africa. Along with the "Old Towns of Djenné" it was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1988.

thanks for all the kind words folks. Actually I was a bit disappointed with how a lot of my photos came out. I think I've managed to slightly damage my camera over the past month with all the bumping around and crushing it in the back of vehicles and screwed up the autofocus just slightly enough for it to be annoying. (Mike, do you know anything about reported problems with the D70's backfocus?). This means that a lot of the landscape photos turned out ok, but some of the closeups aren't sharp.

Anyhow, there is a sorta excessive number of them on flickr here:

But there's like 60 of them so it's a bit of a slog.

Gord, Peru vs. Mali? Tough friggin' call. I loved both. Peru's got more varied scenery and is way less hassle, but Mali feels like more of a "feat" if you will. Peru's probably cheaper in the long run too. There are a number of my Peru photos up on that flickr page I think if you feel like flipping through them. Also, if you're going to Peru you've GOTTA throw Bolivia in. Equally or even more impressive.

Edited by Guest

so cool! i love this one :)

1448301723_8c6dd566bf.jpg?v=0

my last nikon had the same problem after getting dropped and when i took it back to nikon they told me they couldn't fix it (well they said they no longer make the parts - which is my biggest pet peeve ever!!! on a product only a few years old - and told me to buy a new camera. grrr.