Jambands.ca

Phish Poll #1: YEM.

FunkyBeats

O.K., here's the deal:

I would like to make a Phish mixer of some of my favourite Phish tracks. Now I'm a bit of a Phish freak but I know that I can't compete with your collective freakiness on this subject. So I would like to poll your opinions on the best versions of different tracks and compare them with mine. Let's start with the perennial favourite; YEM.

What's your favourite version?

Thanks,

FunkyBeats.

My favourite YEM is one that i was at. 12-2-99 i think it was. there was a silent jam in the middle of it and then fishman sang little drummer boy at the end and left.

Wicked show overall:

12-02-99 The Palace, Auburn Hills, MI

1: Runaway Jim, Farmhouse*, Heavy Things, Roggae, Run Like an Antelope, Wading in the Velvet Sea, Poor Heart, Sample in a Jar, Free, The Squirming Coil (1:18)

2: Boogie On Reggae Woman, Gotta Jiboo, Bathtub Gin** -> Also Sprach Zarathustra, You Enjoy Myself*** -> Little Drummer Boy# (1:19)

E: Bold as Love (0:06)

*With slightly different vocal arrangement (refrain at end). **Unfinished; with "Also Sprach Zarathustra" teases. ***With silent jam. #Basically part of the vocal jam, which ended with Fish alone onstage, standing behind his drums, singing "Little Drummer Boy" (possibly with "vulgar variations" such as "I want to make love to you, ba rum ba rum ba bum bum").

review here.

Another one from my collection that came to mind was from this show:

07-08-94 Great Woods, Mansfield, MA

1: Llama-> N2O*-> Lizards-> Tela-> Wilson-> AC/DC Bag-> Colonel Forbin's Ascent-> Fly Famous Mockingbird-> The Sloth-> McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters-> The Divided Sky

2: Rift, Sample in a Jar, Reba-> Y-Rushalayim Schel Zahav, It's Ice, Stash, You Enjoy Myself-> Frankenstein-> You Enjoy Myself, Julius, Golgi Apparatus.

E: Nellie Cane, Cavern.

First set contained a complete "Gamehendge" narration. *The idea was being in a dentist's chair, with the gas slowly putting you to sleep, and on your way to Gamehendge.

Gonna put this second set on now, sooo good :)

Edited by Guest
fixed the date

partial to the June 11, '94 from Red Rocks (3rd song set 1)

whole first set is crazy on, top of the wave

have only bumped into the FM broadcast but its still great sound quality (aside from the rock radio dj girl who tries to go for commercial during a spacey moment before someone abruptly turns her mic off)

My favourite version of YEM is the one from 07/25/92 Stowe Performing Arts Center, Stowe, VT. This is the one with Carlos Santana and his percussion section sitting in. Actually one my favourite live moments in Phish history, not just my favourite version of YEM.

My favourite version of YEM is the one from 07/25/92 Stowe Performing Arts Center, Stowe, VT. This is the one with Carlos Santana and his percussion section sitting in. Actually one my favourite live moments in Phish history, not just my favourite version of YEM.

Ah yes! forgot about that gem.

I've been giggling about this thread since I first saw it because 09-17-99 immediately popped into my head. Some of my best friends raved about this one right after it. I would have given my right nut to have seen this show with them because it is great on disc but its not the best YEM.

09/17/99 (Fri) Shoreline Amphitheatre - Mountain View, CA

Set 1: Free Thought, Guyute, Ghost, Lawn Boy, Peaches en Regalia, Moma Dance, Water in the Sky, When the Circus Comes, Get Back on the Train, David Bowie, The Squirming Coil

Set 2: Runaway Jim, Sand, Piper > Jam, Roggae, You Enjoy Myself* > Bass Duet*, Wolfman's Brother > Cold Rain & Snow**, E: Viola Lee Blues***

Comment: * - with Phil Lesh on bass (and trampoline on "You Enjoy Myself"), ** - with Phil Lesh on bass and vocals, *** - with Phil Lesh on bass and Warren Haynes on guitar.