Jambands.ca

question about ottawa neighbourhoods

meggo

i've been living in centretown for 3.5 years, and while there are LOTS of things i love about this 'hood, it is costing me too much money in car repairs b/c it keeps getting vandalized/broken into [3x since i've lived here]. last year's first murder was almost on our front lawn and a girl got robbed tonight just steps away. that coulda been me! [i know, that's kind of selfish.]

so anyway, we're thinkin' we need to find a new place to live in. i know the glebe area is probably pretty safe, but what about places like hintonburg, sandy hill, lowertown...? anyone care to weigh in on pros/cons of different spots?

[PS east end need not apply, i work there and i don't want to live there!]

I've been in the Glebe since September and am loving it....that is of course if you can find a decent place that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for rent. I spent about 2.5 months looking for something worth the cost and got pretty lucky, granted it was during the summer months, so it may be somewhat easier now.

I recently moved out of Centretown after many great years there and I am now in the Glebe as well. I was skeptical at first, but I have to admit its better here.

My decent place does cost an arm and the better part of one leg but it's worth it for what I get in return. No more crack heads for neighbours and no more of those nasty little centipedes which were all over my last apartment on Arlington.

At least I don't think my neighbours are crack heads ...

Edited by Guest

I have been living in Hintonburg for a year and a half now. There is no shortage of crack heads, street walkers and drunks but I haven't really found it that unsafe. We haven't had any issues with vandalism or break ins at all. You can definitely find a better/safer neighbourhood but the 'burg' does have it's charm and it's generally cheap rent.

That said, I'm moving closer to Westboro at the end of the month. Anybody want to buy my house? It's real nice.

my old landlord lived in one of those huge-ass homes on revelstoke, i used to haaate dropping off my overinflated rent cheque for my shitty place at his mansion.

i've lived in old ottawa south, the glebe and now centretown. all three have their benefits and bad points too. i've never had problems in any neighbourhood.

I live in Sandy Hill (renting) and its pretty good, except that everyone seems to live West. We are walking distance to the Market, Bytown, Mavs and Rideau Center. There are no crackhead problems but the students can be a bother at times. No crime to really speak of that I have noticed. Rent is pricey though ($1400 for a 2BR)....

I also live in Sandy Hill - bought my house in 2001. Couldn't afford it today. But, houses are cheaper than they are inthe Glebe, and I assume that so is rent. It's a very mixed neighbourhood - lots of students, but also lots of families. It really depends on the street. As NW said, it's walking distance to the Byward Market, Rideau Centre, Bytowne Cinema (!). And you're also close to the canal and river pathways. I really like the neigbourhood.

The best place to live if you can find a place is the Golden Triangle area... the convenience of Centretown but nicer. A bit more happenin' than the Glebe as well if thats important.

Mind you I lived in the Glebe 3 years ago and loved it, the GF currently lives on McLeod and Elgin and if I had to compare I like her 'hood better (mind you I now live Barrhaven so practically anything central would be better so I might be overinflating the Triangle)...

We are moving to West Wellington Feb. 1. That stretch of Wellington between Island Park and Parkdale has developed so much. We were looking the Glebe or GT, but the perfect place came up, just in a different neighbourhood, so we took it.

Hintonburg, though really only western parts of Hintonburg close to Parkdale would also be okay as well. I don't really think its all that sketchy anymore (5 years ago, no question), its slowly transforming itself a la Westboro or the Glebe...

any thoughts on lowertown? close to the bridge to vanier [eek!]?

I think that's another up and coming neighbourhood. There are those blocks around the missions that aren't so inviting but lots of other good streets in the hood. A friend has owned a house on Dalhousie for years and he loves it. Lots of houses with character and some interesting shopping outside the market. I wouldn't mind living there myself.