Jambands.ca

When does Ottawa Bluesfest typically announce the lineup?

Hartamophone

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize some of these artists have already played the fest before, but for some its been awhile & if they added all these cats to the lineup, nothing could stop me from going..

Bluesfest wishlist:

Coco Montoya

Roy Rogers

Tinsley Ellis

RL Burnside

Willie "Big Eyes" Smith

Otis Clay

Deborah Coleman

Studebaker John and the Hawks

Long shot wild-card pick:

The great Otis Rush!

I heard rumor he has played some shows since his stroke in 2004. I doubt he'd want to make the trip up here now-a-days, but I can still wish...

Anyone else would be the gravy to me.

I hope Xavier Rudd makes it on the bill this year.

He pretty much lives in Ottawa, and has been doing the same show for 5 years now...

I think MMJ is a reasonable wish for Bluesfest.

The Black Keys' new disc should be out and they love playing Ottawa.

I'd love that Tom Petty wish to come true.

Lots of wishes for me but I'm gonna keep them in for a while.

Re: Bluesfest dream team, Feb. 19.

I always look forward to hearing about the Bluesfest lineup every year. The 2007 festival will be very, very tough to top.

Since the Allman Brothers Band is hitting the road this summer, I believe that hosting them at the LeBreton Flats location this time would be an unforgettable experience. The (formerly Grateful) Dead are also resurfacing after four years to play for U.S. presidential candidate Barack Obama. I'm not sure if they're going to tour, but I've got my fingers crossed. For them to play Ottawa would be simply electric.

Any of the off-shoot groups birthed from these jam-band giants (Ratdog, Gov't Mule, The Derek Trucks Band) would be wonderful to see, too.

Jamie Douglas,

Ottawa

• 2 weeks later...

jazzfest news, Ott-Cit:

'As good as it gets': Jazz fest lands giants; Mehldau, Marsalis and Hancock to play Confederation Park this summer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three of the biggest names in jazz will be among the headliners at this summer's Ottawa International Jazz Festival.

The Citizen has learned that pianist Herbie Hancock, fresh from his surprise Grammy for album of the year -- the first jazz recording in more than four decades to capture the honour -- will play on the main stage in Confederation Park on Sunday, June 22.

Backed by an all-star band including saxophonist Chris Potter, guitarist Lionel Loueke and bass player Dave Holland, Hancock will perform music from River: The Joni Letters, his jazz interpretations of Joni Mitchell's music that won the Grammy.

A vocalist for the show is still to be announced. Tina Turner, Norah Jones and Corrine Bailey Rae were among the singers on the CD.

A week later, on June 29, jazz's latest crown prince of the piano, Brad Mehldau, will play on the main stage with his acclaimed trio, bassist Larry Grenadier and drummer Jeff Ballard.

It will be the third festival appearance for Mehldau's trio, but its first outdoor show since 2002, when he transfixed a large Confederation Park crowd with his bold, modern innovations.

The pianist performed a pair of sold-out indoor concerts in 2006.

The festival's opening night on June 20 will feature Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, whose last concert on the big stage in 1999 was among the best attended, and most memorable, in the festival's 28-year history. The orchestra ended its concert by playing as it marched, New Orleans-style, through the overflow crowd.

The 15-piece band will come complete with its A-list of heavy-hitters, including a killer trumpet section made up of Marsalis, Sean Jones, Ryan Kisor and Marcus Printup. The orchestra's repertoire is expected to include music from its Congo Square project, a post-Katrina tribute to New Orleans.

"I feel like we've done the impossible by nailing these three groups," executive producer Catherine O'Grady said yesterday as she confirmed parts of the lineup. "This is just about as good as it gets."

O'Grady said a few more big names are close to being signed for the festival, which runs from June 20 to July 1 at its usual four venues -- Confederation Park, the Fourth Stage and Studio in the National Arts Centre and the auditorium at Library and Archives Canada.

While the full lineup will not be announced until April 8, O'Grady revealed that the popular atmospheric Swedish trio E.S.T., led by pianist Esbjörn Svensson, will return on June 22 at Library and Archives. The show will be one of three "special concerts" that will require admission not covered by festival passes.

Also on tap is Nordic Connect, the splendid quintet featuring the Canadian Jensen sisters, Ingrid on trumpet and Christine on saxophone, and pianist Maggi Olin. The group plays June 26 on the main stage.

Another top-notch Canadian quintet, this one with saxophonists Mike Murley and Tara Davidson and pianist David Braid, is booked for the NAC Studio on June 28.

For fans of more traditional jazz, the festival will offer 83-year-old swing clarinetist Buddy DeFranco on the main stage on June 21.

Jazz strings will be the theme this year for the late afternoon Connoisseur series at Library and Archives. Among the artists booked are bassist Alain Caron playing with pianist Lorraine Desmarais (June 24), guitarist Mimi Fox (June 25) and Quebec vibraphonist Jean Vanasse on June 29.

The festival will actually run an extra day this year so it can offer free programming in Confederation Park on Canada Day -- a Tuesday this year -- a practice started a few years ago when the festival moved its dates ahead to late June from mid-July to avoid a scheduling conflict with Bluesfest.

The Canada Day lineup, done jointly with the National Capital Commission, is in the works.

A week later, on June 29, jazz's latest crown prince of the piano, Brad Mehldau, will play on the main stage with his acclaimed trio, bassist Larry Grenadier and drummer Jeff Ballard.

It will be the third festival appearance for Mehldau's trio, but its first outdoor show since 2002, when he transfixed a large Confederation Park crowd with his bold, modern innovations.

I was at the 2002 Mehldau show, and it was awesome. With Hancock also part of the festival, I may buy a pass this year.

Aloha,

Brad