Jambands.ca

Earth Hour - March 29th (this Saturday)

Schwa.

I think the most important variable in all of this is the fact that this campaign has reached so far. I hope there is a worldwide measurement taken so metrics can show everyone how much POWER they have together.

It's amazing to me that this message and event has reached so many people. I don't think that it's anything to sneeze at.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Earth Hour is such a crock drop in the bucket. [color:purple]Now everyone can feel all good because they've saved the Earth. Hopefully people can remember this one mobilized hour across the globe and repeat for the 8759 other hours in the year.

I don't think the point is the quantitative difference that will be made during the one hour. Rather, I think it's more an issue of awareness. Hell, take a look at the discussion it's spawned right here in this thread; a conversation that would not be happening otherwise.

You're not going to change the world in an hour, but you can damn sure plant the seed.

I will tell ya something... I was speaking with my regional manager at work who is good friends with someone at Ontario Power Generation and belive it or not, they are worried about the outcome of this event... nuclear power is not so simple as to just shut down and start up again on a dime... when you think of how many lights and such will be turned on all at once at 9 pm they really dont know how it will affect the grid... i guess we'll see now wont we...

I will tell ya something... I was speaking with my regional manager at work who is good friends with someone at Ontario Power Generation and belive it or not, they are worried about the outcome of this event... nuclear power is not so simple as to just shut down and start up again on a dime... when you think of how many lights and such will be turned on all at once at 9 pm they really dont know how it will affect the grid... i guess we'll see now wont we...

This is now 3rd hand information. You're posting on the internet about a guy you work with that is allegedly good friends (are they really that good of friends?) with SOMEONE (janitor, vending delivery guy, wife of employee?) at the crown corporation of the power plants. So is this guy an engineer even?

You can't scare me with this nonsense passedoutguy.

i had a chance conversation a few years back with a woman who was working at environment canada. we discussed how bleak things looked and how apathy and ignorance were going to be the death of us, however she put things inperspective a bit in saying that every little effort we put in to conservation and green pracctices effectively buys us time.

so who knows, maybe tossing that newspaper into the recycling instead of the trash or shutting the lights off during the day will delay our demise by a few seconds. if we do enough of these things then maybe they'll add up enough and we'll have the time to figure out how to shoot all our waste and GHGs into outer space before it completely destroys our planet

anyway

i think i will set up some candles. buy some cheese and crackers and open a nice bottle of wine this saturday evening.

... and then go out at 8:45 and smash everyone's porch light that's turned on! get outta my way, im saving the planet! earth hour fuckin' rocks!

:o :grin: :grin:

i also agree with birdy. packaging drives me nuts. we can land on the moon, but cant design a garbage bag to hold garbage bags? instead we get a box. or useless plastic. its really quite absurd.

Edited by Guest