Jambands.ca

Earth Hour - March 29th (this Saturday)

Schwa.

I'm having my big 40th birthday bash tonight at the Bedford Academy starting at 8:00. The lights will be turned off for an hour along with whatever else they allow us to shut-down. I have a portable stereo with batteries and a pretty decent hour-long mixed CD and lots of candles. Should be interesing.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My porch light is on a sensor (not a switch) that makes it come on whenever it's dark (enough). I'm planning on standing outside during Earth Hour shining a flashlight at the sensor to make sure the light stays off.

But don't worry: I'll be using rechargable batteries in the flashlight.

Aloha,

Brad

Between Google, the story on CBC news and now they're discussing it on Quirks and Quarks, well, I'd say it's a success if the goal was awareness.

i love google's black page right now. i think it's the only time they've changed their background colour.

Wait just a second. It just occurred to me that Cops is on from 8-9 tonight.

Is it okay if I do Earth Hour from 9-10? Or can I just turn off everything but my tv for Earth Hour and turn off the tv right after Cops?

I'm looking for some guidance here folks. Here at the house we're tied 1-1 on this issue.

Is it okay if I do Earth Hour from 9-10? Or can I just turn off everything but my tv for Earth Hour and turn off the tv right after Cops?

I'm looking for some guidance here folks. Here at the house we're tied 1-1 on this issue.

I say it's not OK, if for no other reason than the fact that your savings from 9pm to 10pm won't be included in the overall 8pm - 9pm total.

Aloha,

Brad

Velvet says: But you're always wrong BradM!!!

I say: Everyone has something to give up for earth hour, like COPS (::rolls eyes::) or NCAA hoops or whatever. but you have to be willing to give up whatever it is, right? It's a symbolic thing more than anything, I think.

C'mon let's do it! :)

We are drunk.

as long as its right after Cops and for a full hour I don't see why the fuck not ;) Its a token event at best but definitely going to raise awareness.

Who's gonna bust the balloon and post between 8 and 9 tonight?

Personally we're getting ready to shut down the house....of course we'll probably be burning energy somewhere else!

g

Velvet says: But you're always wrong BradM!!!

I say: Everyone has something to give up for earth hour, like COPS (::rolls eyes::) or NCAA hoops or whatever. but you have to be willing to give up whatever it is, right? It's a symbolic thing more than anything, I think.

That's a whole other valid argument.

We are drunk.

Cool, but no light beer between 8pm and 9pm.

Aloha,

Brad

I think this is a cool movement...I also think that most people aren't considering the fact that the sun is getting hotter which is causing the ice caps to melt...carbon emissions causes humans to be unhealthy and develop cancer etc. The sun causes extra heat melting ice caps

I planned my snowshoe tonight to coincide with Earth Hour. It's something I would have done today anyway, but I planned accordingly.

Funny, though, we're getting much more daylight up here with each passing day. Turning out lights from 8-9 tonight wouldn't have been too big a challenge, as it was still plenty light out at eight o'clock. It's almost ten now, and only in the past half hour or so has it actually started to get significantly dark outside.

The North is awesome.