Jambands.ca

Exeter, ON

Irie Guy

Anybody got anything to say about this town. Contemplating the move closer to a major city. Being 40 minutes from London while maintaining affordable housing has appeal. I would not need to find work as my job would simply follow me. Liking the idea of being closer to some culture and amenities.

We are currently in the heart of Bruce County which I like but definitely has its limits.

its not far from huron park, and apparently, every once in a while you can find kurt russell (i think, is he the one that was/is married to goldie hawn?) in that diner there on the corner on #4.

so, there's that.

the best culture you'll find in london is ordering a frank and gus pizza and asking too many questions.

have fun!

OH and I lived in Woodstock before which is about 45mins to London and it's a nice little town as well.. BUT i imagine the prices are going up since Toyota will be opening soon.. Stratford is a super nice town.. Richard Manuel is buried there as well.. but the art festivals make it a pricey city i'm sure..

Exeter isn't too bad. As far as amendeties go its got a Canadian Tire, big grocery store etc. You are 15 mins from Grand Bend which is a plus. Good schools if that's important.

I know its tough living in Paisley (I'm from Chesley) and I love London and know more than a few people from Exeter that turned out OK.

the best culture you'll find in london is ordering a frank and gus pizza and asking too many questions.

Don't forget the Prince Albert Diner. Is that place still there? I used to love eating there - the food was delicious and reasonably priced!

Best. vanilla. milk. shakes. ever.

Not a big fan of Exeter - just from an asthetic ponit of view. Doesn't have a very warm feeling to it. It's main intersection is where 2 highways cross - everything's just kind of bland.

It is close to Grand Bend which is a plus but that's about it as far as I can see.

If you're looking for something close to London - Stratford is a really nice town. So is St Marys. They have lots to offer and are beautiful.

Anyway you go, good luck!

Where do you live now Irie Guy? I'm a Bruce County resident.

We are in Paisley. I know there have been some jokes about culture in London. The thing is we adopted twin boys from Ethiopia this past year and the reality is there just isn't much opportunity around here for them to experience some of their own culture let alone see another black person.

We want to think about some things before they start school and where would be the proper place for them to grow up. Paisley is fine, we like being close to the beach but diverse it is not. Quality schools and programs not too sure either.

We are also vegetarians in Beef Country which really doesnt give us many options for dining out. As petty as it seems I really miss Ethnic Food.

The truth is my job is safe for now but that may not be the case 12 or 18 months from now and there are not a lot of opportunities up here in or outside my field which could provide a suitable income for the family. Being close to London I know I could get a job almost instantly within my field if the need arises.

What has us looking Exeter way is the idea of being within reasonably quick access to the city while keeping pretty close to the Lake.

Thanks for the responses.

What about Goderich??

I second the Stratford, but it's great to be close to the lake.

I hope to be in Kincardine for as much of the summer as I can so if there's a Diesel Dog show around I'd want to be there.

If you can buy property for the cheap around there then it's a worthwhile business opportunity, but Paisley's a nice place (for someone that doesn't live there)

What about Owen Sound?

Ever thought about the bay?

If you want them to see black people then small town Ontario is not the place to be.

Being a Veg in Beef country is a great limitation as it makes you cook more. Is there a chance that you'll appreciate that frustrating part of your consciousness? Are you good cooks? Do you have people to have potlucks with?

You don't really live in the best place to eat locally (nuclear power plant, near a great lake...) so if you're looking to relocate then I'd suggest getting closer to Guelph. Haven't been there in awhile but it's a headier town than London.

There's also the Niagara region and then you're even that much closer to Detroit.

Man oh man am I ever looking forward to getting out on the beach.

Stratford has its ups and downs...

Ups are (white) culture (theatre and music and literature), food, scenery, great place for kids...

Downs are tourists, few job prospects, not much to do if you are kid-less and between 20 and 40 years old. Also, gonna be lots of construction this summer. But that's temporary.

South exeter is sweet... I read the water meters in the whole area and it's all really nice in the spring/summer/fall but the winter can be kinda impassable as far as trips to London. Hwy #4 can be ridiculous.

The town itself is nothing like the huge intersection at the north end... any left or right leaves you on a street that ends on a creek, a forest or a farmer's field, typical small town atmosphere but it is a little bigger than it first appears. Lots of century farmhouses and recondition older stuff all over and the prices are good for the area. If you want somewhere really cheap look towards Rodeny, West Lorne or closer to London you could check out Glencoe. The prices down there are crazy low, but it's also crazy underdeveloped.

Thorgnor,

Thanks for the advice. So you read the water meter eh.... whoops was that an extra $20 that I left stuck to the side of the house, how did that get there??? lol

Anyhow we're gonna take a day trip sometime soon and check out the environs. I've driven through Exeter a number of times but never venturing off #4. As far as winter goes little worries me. Having lived in Bruce County for 7 years close to the Lake. I know Winter wrath. Paisley is like a black hole in th Winter time if you try to leave the weather will suck you back in.