Jambands.ca

New Guitar!

Pablo Sanchez

Soooo, I had a guitar built for me recently and I just got word that it is on its way. I thought I'd share some pics. What is unique about it is that it is built and braced for very heavy strings .016-.070 so the bottom strings are like bass strings but the guitar isn't a full baritone scale. The first pic is the wood set I picked out.

coco99 set

Finished guitar!

lauzon 1

lauzon 2

lauzon 3

lauzon 4

Edited by Guest

Brad,

Well hopefully I'll get something together soon. I know I'm going to Collingwood in December but I really really should try and play Ottawa at least half as much as I play Collingwood :) Seriously... I really need to find somewhere to rehearse in the perth area until I get my house sorted out. Because I would really really love to play much much more.

Larry Breedlove of Breedlove guitars I presume? Wow, can't wait to see this guitar in action! I can only imagine the tunings this would make possible what with the heavy gauge strings. Cool.

Yes. Larry did start Breedlove guitars, but he sold it to his brother a while ago and went back to Taylor to focus on design and the R.Taylor guitars. He has been working with Bob Taylor since the 70's I think.

Its setup tuned c to c but I would imagine I'll be able to get quite a range of useable low tunings from it. Should be here on Thursday!

I put money on the guitar being from the luthier masters at El Degas.

I'll take that bet.

The company is R.Taylor guitars. The main guy there is Larry Breedlove, who built a similar guitar to this (the heavy strings) for Dave Mathews a few years ago.

very nice :) what is the blonde strip on the top/side? just the actual wood? what are the specs on this baby?!?

The blond strip on the sides is an effect the high sap content had on the wood. It's become rather prized with our modern need to work with some flatsawn woods.

I'm going to say the back & sides are Cocobolo and the top looks pretty wide grained (can't see super well in the pic though) and going with the fact that it needs to support some heavy strings; I'm gonna say the top is likely Adi Red Spruce...

Nice Gitter Dave! I look forward to hearing you go it er' some time

May The Blessings Be,

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D