Jambands.ca

Tentative OC Strike Date. Dec. 10.

rubberdinghy

Or perhaps the city isn't running as smoothly as I (a vehicle owner) percieve.

you're obviously not driving during rush hour. it takes forever to get anywhere. once you add snow to the mix it's even worse. It took me 1.5 hrs to get from Sandy Hill to McNabb skating rink a few weeks ago for my kid's hockey lesson. that drive would normally be 10, maybe 15 minutes. The downtown core is like a vaccum during the afternoon rush hr, but there is horrible traffic surrounding it.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends when you are driving out there for sure, or if you have to walk 1300 blocks. I am loving the bus strike and my job right now..... In at 10am home at 6pm:

-no traffic on the way to work

-roads have already been cleared and driven on

-no parking restrictions next to work so I don't have to move my car three times a day

-leaving early and getting in late are totally cool as every one is making due

And then there are those of us putting in an extra hour and a half every day because it's the only way to find a ride all the while having to deal with the insane traffic coming out of the downtown core.

Loooooooooong days for me right now but I am managing by drinking more often to offset the stress. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Honestly, I don't normally pipe up in things like this, nor do I know everything about this situation, buuut....

I can't believe you guys are talking about rush hour as the big bad circumstance of the strike when obviously the most affected people would be the low income people without cars who rely on public transportation to get to work? Am I out of line here?

Speaking of which...

Academic Disruption Has Ended at York University

Courses and Other Academic Activities Resume Monday, February 2

The York University Labour Disputes Resolution Act, 2009 has been passed by the Ontario legislature and received royal assent. As a result, the Executive Committee of Senate declares that the disruption of academic activities that began on November 6, 2008 has ended. Courses and other academic activities that were suspended at the outset of a strike by CUPE 3903 will resume on Monday, February 2.

This communication has been issued by the Executive Committee of Senate in accordance with its responsibilities under Senate's Policy on the Academic Implications of Disruptions or Cessations of University Business Due to Labour Disputes or Other Causes. Over the course of the disruption the Executive Committee issued a number of important communications on academic accommodations and remediation of courses. The documents can be accessed from the University Secretariat Website at

http://www.yorku.ca/secretariat/Strike2008/Strike.htm

The principles of the Disruptions policy - academic integrity, fairness to students and timely information -- will continue to apply during the remediation period.

Faculty members are urged to prepare for a re-orientation period at their first meeting with students. During the first five days of instruction student are not required to submit assignments that were due during the disruption or to take tests.

Students and faculty members may also wish to review FAQs and guidelines issued by the Registrar’s Office, Centre for the Support of Teaching and Faculties.

For the Executive Committee of Senate,

York University

January 29, 2009

York University Media Relations . Fax: 416-736-5779 . Address: York University, West Office Building, 4700 Keele St., Toronto, ON M3J 1P3

And in a way that makes more sense but is much more "partisan"...

York president welcomes end of strike

President looks forward to welcoming 50,000 students back to class on Monday

On Thursday Jan. 29, the Legislature of Ontario passed back-to-work legislation to end the 12-week strike by CUPE Local 3903 at York University.

York President & Vice-Chancellor Mamdouh Shoukri said:

“I am delighted that our 50,000 students will be back in class on Monday. Now is the time to look to the future. Now is the time to return to our academic mission. We have a lot of work to do in repairing some of the relationships in the York community. We will begin now to rebuild bridges. We are committed to working with the community to resolve these problems. There are no winners in this situation.

“Our first priority is to welcome our students back to class and to make their return as smooth as possible,†Shoukri continued. “Everything we have done has been directed towards this outcome.

“The question has arisen as to whether the University should have returned to the bargaining table this week while the legislature was in session,†Shoukri said. “At that point, we were actually within 48 hours of ending the strike and of bringing our 50,000 students back to class – something we had been working towards for 11 weeks. Two independent mediators had concluded that the parties had reached deadlock and that a negotiated settlement was not in sight.

“We were concerned that agreeing to more negotiations could have jeopardized the speedy passage of the bill – and hence delay the return of our students to class. Our summer term was in jeopardy and we had run out of time,†Shoukri said.

Classes will resume for all students on Monday, Feb. 2. Students should check the Registrar’s webpage for more information.

York University Media Relations . Fax: 416-736-5779 . Address: York University, West Office Building, 4700 Keele St., Toronto, ON M3J 1P3

Edited by Guest

When they arent on strike, I take the bus you beautiful hunk of manlove. Douglas has to drive me into the core every morning and I get a ride home. It sucks but there are far worse situations for people right now and I empathize with them.

yeah she straps on the 12 incher every morning, works better than an enema

and that's the rest of the story

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2009/01/29/8195761.html

City and union negotiators have struck a deal to end the city’s 52-day-old transit strike.

An announcement is expected within the hour. Sources say both sides have agreed to send all outstanding issues, including the controversial driver-scheduling issue, to binding arbitration.

City officials plan to continue to demand that OC Transpo bus drivers meet federal work-rest rules, including a minimum of eight hours rest between shifts.

The deal comes a day after the Conservative government announced it was prepared to introduce back-to-work legislation to end the strike.

OC Transpo's 2,300 dispatchers, mechanics and drivers have been on strike since Dec. 10.

Aloha,

Brad

Guest Low Roller

Probably a couple of weeks until we see the first busses on the streets because of that whole safety certification thingy.

But it's about fucking time. This whole thing went tits up when O'Brien and Cornholer decided to make it personal.