Jambands.ca

Tentative OC Strike Date. Dec. 10.

rubberdinghy

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm very happy to see a settlement on this. labour dispute are always difficult situations and nobody wins. this must be a huge relief for striking workers and the whole city.

given the comparisons with the York strike ... and i know this is likely an unpopular opinion, in my mind it would be more reasonable to legislate public transit workers back to work than university teachers. public transit is much more an essential service than university courses. as to how to legislate people back to work in a fair and just way, well that's another question altogether.

They say it's possible to have a Sunday service up and running by next Friday.

We'll probably vote this weekend and have mechanics back on the job as early as this weekend.

Funny thing...I'm sure they'll be paying the mechanics wicked overtime to get the buses certified. There goes some of the savings.

Quite a few of the buses are already to go. They've had management starting and moving the buses around the garages. Another funny thing, apparently a few buses have been damaged by management!

Protesters greeted Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien and OC Transpo general manager Alain Mercier yesterday morning as riders boarded the O-Train at Greenboro station for the first time since the transit strike began in December.

The mayor and Mr. Mercier welcomed O-Train riders back on the first day of service after city-wide transit service was shut down for 54 days and left tens of thousands of commuters stranded. The mayor was at the station early with a cup of coffee in his hand, shaking hands with riders and welcoming them.

But amid the gladhanding with commuters and the mayor's relief that at least the O-Train was back in operation, several protesters were on hand to dampen his early-morning excitement and pep talk to riders. They held up yellow signs reading "More for public transit / less for Larry's buddies" and "Public transit takes a kicking / O-Train keeps on ticking."

"The big problem right now is that the union and the city have been quarrelling and they couldn't care less about the customers of OC Transpo, the riders," said Duncan McGregor, one of the protesters.

Mr. McGregor wasn't too impressed with the mayor's early-morning public relations campaign.

"It was in poor taste, there is no other phrase for it," said Mr. McGregor, adding the mayor saw his sign but didn't offer any comments.

Union head André Cornellier has charged that the city has orchestrated a slow return to full service in an effort to punish the union.

But Mr. Mercier countered saying that all the rhetoric has to end and the focus should be on improving OC Transpo.

"We had indicated that if we were not able to return to service with the amount of fleet we would have no choice except to face lay-offs for a period of time," said Mr. Mercier.

"We're re-assessing that now and currently at this time we'll only be up to 70 per cent of the fleet and we'll be discussing with the union this week the implications (of that). We want everybody back to work as soon as we can," said Mr. Mercier.

Carleton University student Bill Deng said he was happy to see the O-Train back.

"It was pretty hard during the strike and I had to take the school bus," said Mr. Deng, 22, a commerce student. "I'm very happy the train is back."

It looks like we'll have full weekend service starting this Saturday, Feb. 7.

http://www.octranspo.com/mapscheds/Contingency/Transit_Riders_Pass_Holders.htm

The O-Train and buses are free during weekends in February.

Weekday service resumes on Monday, Feb. 9, and outside of rush hour (i.e., mid-day and in the evenings), everything's going to be running; rush-hour service won't be fully restored for a while.

Aloha,

Brad

Weekday service resumes on Monday, Feb. 9, and outside of rush hour (i.e., mid-day and in the evenings), everything's going to be running; rush-hour service won't be fully restored for a while.

plenty of angst in the news these days about rural and suburban routes that won't be running for a month or more....

Downtown record store End Hits is celebrating the return of bus service with a sale this weekend:

Woohoo, the buses are back Feb 7. In honour of the City Of Ottawa's amazing ability to resolve labour disputes and help it's citizen's we're having a 25% off sale at End Hits this Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday Feb 7 - 11am-6pm

Sunday Feb 8 - noon-5pm

25% off everything in the store*

*except tickets, and any purchases made by Larry O'Brien, his immediate staff or bus union representatives.

Aloha,

Brad