Jambands.ca

Tentative OC Strike Date. Dec. 10.

rubberdinghy

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-lost revenue from not issuing parking tickets

i heard parking tickets were up 35% during the strike' date=' but that most of the fines were being cut in half. Still, that's more money that usual. Isn't it?

[/quote']

i had assumed that they would have issued less tickets, since they didn't enforce the one and three hr parking restrictions. I guess there were more violations at meters and in no parking zones. but if all fines were reduced by 50% a 35% increase in the number of fines would still be a net loss.

Did you know that if you got downtown to "fight" your ticket, chances are you'll get off "scot-free." No pun intended.

Also true for Transit tickets.

Same goes for speeding if you go to the Ontario courthouse on Elgin.

Also, there was a report sometime last year about out of town parking tickets just torn up, costing the city further millions.

I was myself, said Hello to everyone, some just looked down and didn't acknowledge me...Nothing out of the ordinary happened, and I haven't heard any stories.

I'm on the 2/12 today...that could be a different story.

Quick hit....talking to another driver...

Guy comes on and shows the driver a penny. "This is what I think your service is worth." Drops it in the box.

Driver. "Why'd you do that? You know the service is free today?"

• 4 weeks later...

Transpo drivers to be bound by federal law: Baird

The federal government is stepping in to limit the number of hours OC Transpo bus drivers are allowed to operate their vehicles.

John Baird, federal minister of transport, announced on CFRA radio this morning that beginning later this week he will begin the process to end the service's exemption from federal safety guidelines. This will restrict city bus drivers from operating their vehicles for more than 14 hours a day.

The battle over work-rest rules for bus drivers flared up again yesterday as transit workers complained the city is imposing the very rules they went on strike over.

City officials say the union is confusing the issue of safety with the question of who sets their schedules.

Baird said he was reluctant to step in during the recent 53-day transit strike but since learning some drivers are operating their buses for 22 hours straight and working double shifts without rest, he has has a growing concern over the safety of passengers and the drivers.

"Fatigue is a major contribution to traffic accidents and fatalities," Baird told CFRA. "This is a concern I just can't push aside."

Baird said it will take about a month to change the regulation because it has to go through a 30-day period to allow the public to comment. After that the government can move and make the changes.

When they are in place the same work-rest rules that apply to commercial bus operators and long haulers will apply to OC Transpo bus drivers. It will stipulate that drivers will not be legally allowed to driver for more than 14 hours and when they reach that point will be forced to take an eight hour break. It also means drivers must take one day a week for rest. During the strike the city said some drivers were going weeks without a day off. One driver worked about 190 days without a day off.

"Safety is a paramount concern," said Baird. "I can't in good conscience sit back and this to go on unaddressed."

Control over scheduling was a key sticking point during the 53-day strike. On Monday, drivers began booking routes and schedules for May and June. The process lasts six weeks.

"This is why we went out on strike," transit union president Andre Cornellier said, explaining that OC Transpo boss Alain Mercier told him the city wants to limit drivers to 14 hours of work a day with eight hours rest between shifts. As a result, Cornellier said the union won't participate in the booking process.

Mercier said although the work-rest issue is set to be addressed in arbitration as part of the deal that ended the strike, city council has consistently pushed for drivers to follow national safety standards.

Aloha,

Brad

Weaksauce.

Don't know why the city had to meddle in our booking for the spring, considering we are waiting on arbitration.

Another gross waste of money if we go full service right through the spring with empty buses.

Dumb Dumb Dumb. The arbitrators ruling will most likely be instituted for the fall. Couldn't wait till then?

Unbeleivable.

The arbitrators ruling will most likely be instituted for the fall. Couldn't wait till then?

I'm not sure I agree. What happens if the arbitrated agreement includes scheduling limits that are in excess of the limits in the federal regs?* Wouldn't it be better to have the regulations that specify scheduling limits in place before an agreement on (or including) scheduling is set up?

Aloha,

Brad

* I wonder if OC Transpo was given an exemption from the 2007 federal regulations precisely because there was already a contract in place with limits that exceeded those in the regulations, to avoid having to have the regulations include provisions for how existing agreements would have to be changed.

Weaksauce.

Don't know why the city had to meddle in our booking for the spring, considering we are waiting on arbitration.

Another gross waste of money if we go full service right through the spring with empty buses.

Dumb Dumb Dumb. The arbitrators ruling will most likely be instituted for the fall. Couldn't wait till then?

Unbeleivable.

Incredible. Are busses there for the passengers or the drivers?

"One driver worked about 190 days without a day off."

holy cow. one whole driver?

exactly' date=' Sharon... and the point being made is about how extreme it can be abused not how many drivers work 190 days straight

[/quote']

That's not really my point. I just find that 'fact' to be very lean on facts. 190 days, doesn't mean that the guy worked without proper rest. It also looks like the fact was pulled from hearsay. "One guy, he worked 190 days straight without a day off". I wonder how many days were a 4 hour shift, and the rest of the day was.....rest.

It is a bad fact to put in the paper without qualifying it.

I agree that people need their rest, but that little published sentence is misused.