Jambands.ca

Confirm if you're being throttled

bouche

the google link works but I get the stupid rogers search screen (their new answer to 404 page error is that they shove their search results, and ads, down your throat) for the actual test link.

Found the tool but their servers are overloaded at the moment so no go. I don't use torrents so I don't know if rogers throttles them (probably).

Edited by Guest

Heres the results from my test, I posted the detailed results - firewall still up, router to modem. My ISP is Source Cable (quickclic)

Is BitTorrent traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

Completed BitTorrent and TCP transfers using the BitTorrent port 6881:

Transfer Speed TCP Speed BitTorrent Conclusion

Download #0 2593 Kbps 132 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Download #1 2647 Kbps 141 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Upload #0 599 Kbps 693 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #1 674 Kbps 673 Kbps No rate limiting

Is BitTorrent traffic on a non-standard BitTorrent port (10009) throttled?

Completed BitTorrent and TCP transfers using the non-BitTorrent port 10009:

Transfer Speed TCP Speed BitTorrent Conclusion

Download #0 3221 Kbps 105 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Download #1 2977 Kbps 218 Kbps Potential rate limiting

Upload #0 687 Kbps 691 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #1 688 Kbps 687 Kbps No rate limiting

Is TCP traffic on a well-known BitTorrent port (6881) throttled?

Comparing TCP transfers using the well-know BitTorrent port 6881 and the non-BitTorrent port 10009:

TCP Transfer BitTorrent port Non-BitTorrent port Conclusion

Download #0 2593 Kbps 3221 Kbps No rate limiting

Download #1 2647 Kbps 2977 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #0 599 Kbps 687 Kbps No rate limiting

Upload #1 674 Kbps 688 Kbps No rate limiting

Note that it is hard to detect rate limiting and that there are many explanations why a transfer can observe lower throughput than another transfer. We run the BitTorrent and TCP transfer back-to-back and at least two times to add more confidence to our measurements.

I use Primus and can get 500kb/s anytime of day with no download limit (I'm pulling down whole DVDs daily and I've never even got a warning...Duane's on my ISP too and downloading like mad).

Both Bell and Rogers couldn't even come close when I had them.

Also with Primus for home phone & unlimited internet I am paying 1/2 what I was with Bell for the same service a year ago.

Edited by Guest

I use Primus and can get 500kb/s anytime of day with no download limit (I'm pulling down whole DVDs daily and I've never even got a warning...Duane's on my ISP too and downloading like mad).

Both Bell and Rogers couldn't even come close when I had them.

Also with Primus for home phone & unlimited internet I am paying 1/2 what I was with Bell for the same service a year ago.

Im on Primus too. Never had a single problem to date and I download/upload day and night.

Did you know for the same great price plus $1o more you can get 10mb service? Its well worth it if you can get on it and can make use of all the bandwidth.

I currently have Bell. Throttling between 4 pm and 2 am isn't ideal, but at least downloads are fast 14 hours a day.

I'm wondering if Rogers throttles torrents 24 hours a day, or if it's part time like Bell.

I'm thinking of getting Rogers again (reliability), but don't want to if the throttling is 24/7.

Does anyone know ?

Thanks.