Jambands.ca

Tips for dealing with a 1 year old going to bed?

PassedOutGuy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey POG, we went through the same thing. It's really annoying when the "experts" say to just let them cry it out, when your kid is losing their voice (literally) after 45 min to an hour worth of screaming at the top of their lungs. Not to mention what the neighbours must think...but anyway, catphish is right, read the discussion boards, they offer really good advice (for the most part)and I think the routine idea works very well. Honestly though, it's not fun and its just something you have to really work at, but it does get easier! Trust me, and good luck!

turn my amp up to 11

Ok, maybe not to the point of ear-damage, but I found this worked for our oldest, especially when she was under a year. Found some old Dead Kennedys and Exploited tapes and cranked them. It was uncanny how quickly she mellowed right out.

You just have to have sympathetic neighbours (unless you figure they'd actually prefer raunchy music to incessant wailing).

If you have something to record the little one crying do it. Then play it back for them. There's something about babies hearing their own cry that puzzles them and makes them stop!!!

You can also try crying yourself (which has probably already happened due to frustration). I understand your frustration :(

Hang in there Bob.

Now these are the suggestions I was hoping for. Thank you all. The routine has definitely stayed the same like you suggested Catphish... its really weird because after about a half hour he may wake up screaming one night or its two in teh morning the next.

Some thoughts are because of teething and pain but I dont really think thats the case here. He has his sleep tunes such as the series of lullabies from Radiohead, Pink Floyd, The BEatles, The Beach Boys etc which are all fantastic for instilling calmness. He has a nightlight as well... so far so good tonight has gone well as he went down early. We celebrated his 1st birthday (this coming Wednesday) with some neighbours and he is pooped.

Fingers crossed... thanks again everyone. Much appreciated.

I have read,that when babies are learning or have just learned a new skill, like walking for instance, they often awake during the night because their brains are on stimulation overload...it will pass.

I kinda have a feeling this is a big part of it. He has been walking with our help lately.. all over the house to be exact. He loves to explore and is probably a month or two away from walking completely on his own... great thought.

Our little guy is two and our routine for a while has been books, lots of cuddles, and the lullaby Beatles (he asks for it). Definitely try and have wind down time before bed to get him sleepy.

Try and have as much patience as possible, because they will feed off that, and same with the opposite, they'll feed off your frustration and then every thing just gets harder.

Good luck, and remember, he's only one and going through so many changes and learning SO much everyday. Don't expect to much from him, and know his intentions aren't to make you pull your hair out ;)