Jambands.ca

Art-is-in Bakery at City Centre (Ott.)

bradm

jesus. had the duck confit BLT with goat cheese on brioche today. probably the best sandwich i've ever had, no exaggeration. amazing. probably 1500 calories but man.

had a nice conversation with kevin too, really nice guy. glad to see his business going so well.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Christine picked up a couple of sandwiches for us on Saturday. We split the tuna salad and chicken club. Taste was good, nice integration of flavours and good value for money. Didn't wow me though. I still think DiRienzo's reigns supreme in the Ottawa sandwich market. Happy to have this option around though. A sandwich place on every corner is my dream.

I stopped in just after the place opened on Sunday morning just to check it out. While I found it to be very expensive, everything (except the apple turnover) was delicious!

Cheese, green pepper and rosemary loaf: $8. Much like AD's experience, I don't want to know the calorie or fat content- because it was so damn good. Yes for $8 a loaf of bread should be, but this made me forget how much it cost.

Cinnamon Bun: $2.50. I loved this as it wasn't soaked in icing or cinnamon. Just enough flavor so that the delicate pastry still shone through the sweetness.

Lemon Tart: $4. Probably the best one I have ever had. Its tough to make a lemon anything stand out, but the filling tasted so tart I would be surprised if it isn't handmade with lemons on site. Perfect thin but crispy crust.

Apple Turnover: $2. Meh. Good pastry but nothing special. You can probably do just as well at the grocery store.

I'll be going back to continue to sample the wide variety of bread they had and some more lemon tarts- but I'll pass on the overpriced pastries.

We split the tuna salad and chicken club. Taste was good, nice integration of flavours and good value for money. Didn't wow me though. I still think DiRienzo's reigns supreme in the Ottawa sandwich market. Happy to have this option around though. A sandwich place on every corner is my dream.

probably because you had tuna salad and chicken club. go for the prime rib with truffled mayo or the duck confit club. the crispy cod, on friday's is fantastic too.

deli meats and mayo can't compete with home made sandwich goodies like this, so I think dirienzo's has lost the trophy.

deli meats and mayo can't compete with home made sandwich goodies like this, so I think dirienzo's has lost the trophy.

Don't forget the hot sandwiches at Big D's: chicken spezza, parm, roast beef, meatloaf, etc. It's more than just deli meat.

I think art-is-in's breads are generally much better than their pastries. I've been buying the crazy grain regularly for the last few weeks. One of the problems with the place is they don't make large quantities of most of the breads so it is hit or miss. I saw a multigrain sourdough once - didn't buy it - and haven't seen it since. they make lots of the crazy grain.

I've been going more vegy lately, so this place beats dirienzo's hands down. their baguettes are just so damn good.

The cod sandwich was awesome. cod fried in a beaus beer batter, homemade tarter sauce on a brioche bun.

agree re the cinnamon rolls. all other pastries have been just okay. and VERY heavy on the butter.

their pizza flat bread is also awesome.

Sandwich Tour there FBN..........Sandwich Tour.

Coincide it with an MLB Tour? BAM! Gotta see a game at Wrigley and while in Chicago:

The Giant "J" - "special delivery," direct from New York. beaucoup roast beef, rare and juicy, with shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, horseradish, and heaps of Russian dressing

$9.00

DiRienzo's is the most overrated sandwich in Ottawa. True story.

Not when it was only 3 bones for a chick parm sammy. That ain't over-rated.

Can't beleive there hasn't been any talk of Parma Rav's sammy's...

best in the city by far.

PS. Next time you are at City Centre...have a look for a black and white Gelaskinned Blackberry.

Mine is there...somewhere....

If I win the lottery boys we will do a modern take on the merry pranksters travelling cross country. Booze, sandwiches, baseball and Charlie Sheen blasting from the rooftop loudspeakers whenever the sun is up. We'll decorate the bus in Gelaskins.

Winning.