Jambands.ca

Election 2011

Big Wooly Mammoth

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'>Issue number 1

The court heard that doctors across Canada have effectively boycotted Health Canada's medical marijuana program. The doctors have been refusing to grant the licences because they say they haven't been given enough training about how to prescribe the drug. They also say the government has failed to fund sufficient clinical trials of the drug.

Exactly why my doctor(s) in 1997 refused to ok my medicinal during my first cancer treatments. Only the my doctor at the Juravinski cancer centre here in Hamilton was willing to get involved, even though at the time the laws were even more muddy then they are now. My current doc also claims that *if* he were to sign off on me for approval he'd open the doors to harassment and scrutiny from both other doctors and the police. Exactly how true that is I can't say, but according him the process of prescribing or just giving his approval can cause enough issues that he isn't comfortable getting involved, for the most part for the reasons I quoted above. He's not against medicinal marijuana, just the bullshit that comes with getting involved.

In my opinion, legalization shouldn't be the topic just right now, our gov't needs to stop dragging their heels on the medicinal issue and come to a final, solid decision - is it allowed or not? - plain and simple. By that I mean, if your going to issue permits for it, then stop busting/raiding the clinics that try and create a safe, clean and controlled environment for patients to obtain their medicine and provide doctors with the necessary education, literature and training not to mention clear laws, they require AND have been asking for all along. As well, start educating the authorities on this issue. I know two people with permits that have been busted and harassed on a few occasions for growing in their backyard (the legal number of plants) only to have the plants destroyed and then be released without charges and without as much as an apology after the police did some homework and found out they were within their legal rights to possess, grow and smoke.

Personally, I'm not concerned about getting a permit now-a-days. For the most part my needs just aren't the same anymore so I've given up trying and hell, I'll grow and smoke regardless.

[color:red]

[edit to add]

Our gov't also needs to be educated that remission doesn't mean cured.

Edited by Guest

I find it fascinating that the more Harper goes arrogant styles, and simply can't be made to talk in any tone but a condescending one, the more it solidifies his standing with his base, who act in almost the exact same way most of the time ("Well that's just the bottom line and if you aren't with us you're with the terrorists/seperatists"). And on the other side, those who vote NDP seem just as tired as Jack does this go around... and almost as hopeless as Jack. He seems to have come off so well because he was so much less 'amped' during this debate. But on the other hand, the more Iggy acts like his base, the more excited he gets about Harper's record, and the more frustrated his voice sounds, the less likely the people who feel the same ways when confronted by neo-Con rhetoric are to support him. Why?

That's a solid point. I think what is happening is that the tone works well for Harper given who his base is. That is going to sound insulting to Conservative supporters (are there any here, besides my friend Birdy?), but I think it is actually the case. And I think it plays ok with the rest of Canadians, for the following reason:

Liberal arrogance?

Yes. The perception of such, at least. The 'natural governing party'. The guys who do no wrong, because shit, people are going to vote them in anyways. I suspect you are right - Ignatieff's smile was probably more one of frustration and 'are you serious? you must be kidding me!'. I think that unfortunately, they have a lot to live down before they can make that face without people thinking that it is uncalled for and simply rude.

And on the other side, those who vote NDP seem just as tired as Jack does this go around... and almost as hopeless as Jack. He seems to have come off so well because he was so much less 'amped' during this debate.

I agree with the 'amped' bit, for sure. I think part of the reason why Layton came off well this time is that he didn't sound like a rabid dog. And he seemed much less scripted - usually he follows his lines so closely that you want to just say 'shut the fuck up and speak for yourself for once'.

Part of that, though, is that the party has always recognized the problem that it does not get equal coverage. It is the same problem that the Green Party is experiencing, although the Green Party is experiencing it more, now (about equal to where the NDP was 10 years ago). You are only going to get 12 seconds of coverage on the broadcasts. Make your point, make it succinct, and make it fast so that they can use it. Layton's team seem to be feeling like they have a bit more breathing room than they used to. And they are probably correct.

Call to mind how frequently Mansbridge used to shut them down. I love Mansbridge (who doesn't), but that shit wasn't fair.

I don't know about the voting public who vote for the NDP being 'just as tired as Layton'. Maybe? I don't know. I know that I will be voting NDP only for the following reason - Paul Dewar is my MP, and I think that he has done a fantastic job and deserves to keep it.

What's wrong with that, ollie? (remember, there's a difference between 'problem' and 'don't like/NPC')

The guy does his job very well and anyone would be hard pressed to find a suitable alternative.

Do you expect the CBC to go the way of CNN and get in sub par anchors to merely change that image?

Wasn't he all pissy that Knowlton Nash wouldn't retire fast enough for his liking?

In 1988, Nash offered to retire from his duties at The National in order to keep Peter Mansbridge from accepting an offer to host the morning news at the American network CBS

And now Mansbridge is over the hill, not particularly sharp or witty and looking like death warmed over and still clinging to his "spot".

Just watch him crawl over to the Senate once he does hang 'em up.

62 is "over the hill" for a journalist?

Not sharp? have you heard him interview heads of state and how he actually has the balls to ask some of the tougher questions? Watch Mansbridge One on One sometime.

Not witty? Didn't know he was supposed to be, but he's witty enough to make me puke when he throws to Claire Martin? ;)

I'm sure he will end up in the Senate. At least he has shitloads of knowledge and could actually be of use in there ... as long as he's not too over the hill :P

Most tv news personalities don't get to stretch their wings with a program like one on one.

I'm glad we live in a country that has some journalism left in its zt least some of its news.

Too bad they dropped the ball on C-36. Now we're ripe for the picking unless we vite someone in that cares to rescind the measures that leave us open for 'harmonization'

Gold, baby:

By Jon Kelly

Unconscious references to ET contact were detected in the statements of key political figures during an analysis of last night's Canadian leadership debate. While responding to a question from Gibsons, BC resident Len Gould regarding crime and safety, Bloc Québécois leader Gilles Duceppe involuntarily disclosed information in the form of an encrypted narrative describing his unconscious recollection of a naked encounter with “little brown aliensâ€. The secret message parallels covert remarks from a former US president commenting on the 2007 presidential debates, indicating how alien abduction colours the personal history of political leaders in both countries. Detection of secret alien abduction histories as revealed in these studies underscores how the application of a robust Disclosure technology for access to unconscious intelligence regarding the nature of UFO encounters is instrumental in charting the future of G20 nations and NATO partners. This story is the subject of a new episode of The Secret Message Report – Podcast Edition, produced by Vancouver UFO Examiner and former CBS Radio feature producer, Jon Kelly.

Gibsons, located on British Columbia's Sunshine Coast, is a 40 minute ferry ride from Vancouver. The question regarding crime and safety was one of six from a reported 6,000 questions submitted by members of the Canadian public that was used during the first hour of the debate, aired nationally on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 from 7-9pm EST. The Federal Election, to be held in May, follows the defeat of Stephen Harper's minority Conservative Party on a motion of non-confidence. In a first for any Commonwealth nation, the Harper government was cited by the Liberal opposition for contempt of Parliament in late March. Earlier this year, Money Magazine named Gibson's, BC the fourth most liveable Canadian city, noting ironically how the community is subject to “little crimeâ€.

Mirror Messages

The open source analytic methodology used in detecting the secret messages of Canadian political leaders reflected a graph of their digitally sampled speech across the Y axis, enabling audio playback and monitoring in reverse. The messages detected through this procedure are formed by unconscious processes related to sleep talking and Freudian slips. These communications repeatedly provide involuntary disclosures that reveal hidden contents of the speaker's unconscious mind. Examiner.com has previously reported how such analysis has proven effective in the gathering of intelligence for military, political, forensic, clinical and UFO Disclosure applications.

Examiner.com has also reported how Vancouver-based investigative research studying the detection of secret messages encrypted backwards within the human voice fulfills legacy demands from the scientific community for an advanced technique of UFO witness interrogation. Eminent researcher and US government UFO scientist Dr. J. Allen Hynek wrote in his book The UFO Experience - A Scientific Inquiry how "[The 1960's US Air Force Project] Blue Book was a "cover-up" to the extent that the assigned problem was glossed over for one reason or another. In my many years association with Blue Book, I do not recall ever one serious discussion of methodology, of improving the process of data gathering or of techniques of comprehensive interrogation of witnesses."

Multidimensional Speech

The method used in the leadership debate study complies with the standards and results of a published study in which human listeners monitored speech sounds that had been subject to various degrees of mirror filtering in order to measure their relative intelligibility under highly filtered conditions. Commenting on the results of this study, Britain’s prestigious Royal Society noted how "It is remarkable that speech remains reasonably intelligible even under conditions of extreme distortion, such as ... time reversal of segments of speech (Saberi & Perrott 1999)" - Brian C.J. Moore, "Basic auditory processes involved in the analysis of speech sounds", (Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B12 March 2008 vol. 363 no. 1493 947-963) The authors of the study told Nature, one of the premier publications in science, how "We have studied the intelligibility of speech, and find it is resistant to time reversal of local segments of a spoken sentence" - Kourosh Saberi and David R. Perrott, "Cognitive restoration of reversed speech", (Nature 398 (29 April 1999) 760). One of the authors, distinguished University of California, Irvine Professor of Cognitive Sciences Kourosh Saberi even went so far as to state how "Speech is a multidimensional stimulus. There are different ways you can extract a message from it.â€

For more on this story please visit Examiner.com.

• 2 weeks later...