Jambands.ca

Election 2011

Big Wooly Mammoth

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good site Al. Thanks for posting. I may just attend the Oakville Catch-22 meeting :)

Here's a good page on CBC that does a "reality check"

Informative piece on Harper and his twisting of the truth around coalitions and the 2008 election:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/realitycheck/2011/03/video-just-what-was-the-2008-coalition.html

An NDP candidate in London has dropped out to support the Liberals. It almost feels like a country-wide ABC campaign is needed this time.

I've been worried about the Conservative Party for a long time, but this time somehow they seem the most frightening. If people aren't willing to leave them after they have done so many un-democratic, stifling, and frankly, illegal things, then I'm not sure what's going to wake people up.

This debate is a fuÇking joke!

Agreed, in large part. I have to say though, Layton has kicked some serious ass tonight. I recognize that it sounds like I am showing my bias, but I have always been critical of his public performances. I thought he did much, much better than his usual scripted bit. A little off the cuff, even.

Duceppe has been surprisingly poor.

I'm still wrestling hard with the strategic voting thing. I'm sure that was at the forefront of the 3/4 of the participants tonight, though. Iggy came off better than I thought he would, at least; it feels like that was a result of him not letting go of any the scandals that have come up over the last couple of years, repeated often enough to keep them in awareness over the course of the debate.

For what it is worth, Ipsos Reid is saying that the Liberals remain unchanged at 23%, the Conservatives gained all the way to 40% (apparently, somehow, Harper came out gold) and the NDP climbed enormously to a 55% approval.

This is pre-debate vs. post-debate approval ratings, which is why the the 23 + 40 + 55 doesn't add up to 100. You can like (or dislike) two parties at once.

I'd post a link, but there doesn't seem to be anything online yet.

Not that anything will change a lick at the polling station. Oh well.

Iggy choked his way through what might have been his only significant opportunity to put a dent in Harper's armour. Very disappointed in his performance and inability to ask Harper a pointed question. He would bring up some great points and then ramble them away before Harper even had a chance to address them. I don't know why I was under the impression that Iggy is a master debater.

My grades:

Harper A

Layton A-

Iggy C

Duceppe B-

We are due for at least a Harper minority.

Not one of these clowns mentioned my two top issues.

It would be impolite to not ask ... what are they?

Jack brought up proportional representation, which was good.

Yeah, and good for him. Saw it coming from a mile away when he started going on about democratic process, but it is one of my pet issues. Glad to see it brought up in such a public debate. (Hey, where is Hux? We usually like to fight about PR)

Very disappointed in his performance and inability to ask Harper a pointed question

Unbelievably bad performance on Ignatieff's part, IMO. He wore a very arrogant looking smirk through the entire ordeal, and didn't really drive anything home. The last thing that the Liberals need is more proof of arrogance.

I've always been hard on Ignatieff. I've read all his books, and used to write essays about him. In the end, my estimation was that he was incorrect. This was long before he came back and ran politically. *But*, I think he has way more capability than what he demonstrated last night.

He should have smoked Harper. He is much more clever.

I still think that Jack stole the night. Which is rare and weird.

Liberal arrogance? Iggy seemed super frustrated to me. That smile was rueful, not happy. It was Harper who reassuringly smiled directly into the camera while claiming that the election had been called because of the budget... that's arrogant. It works, but it's arrogance.

I find it fascinating that the more Harper goes arrogant styles, and simply can't be made to talk in any tone but a condescending one, the more it solidifies his standing with his base, who act in almost the exact same way most of the time ("Well that's just the bottom line and if you aren't with us you're with the terrorists/seperatists"). And on the other side, those who vote NDP seem just as tired as Jack does this go around... and almost as hopeless as Jack. He seems to have come off so well because he was so much less 'amped' during this debate. But on the other hand, the more Iggy acts like his base, the more excited he gets about Harper's record, and the more frustrated his voice sounds, the less likely the people who feel the same ways when confronted by neo-Con rhetoric are to support him. Why?

Edited by Guest