Jambands.ca

My Ottawa Folk Fest reviews...

Velvet

Good time at the folk festival last night. My only regret was not bringing a jacket. It was nice and warm when I left the house at 6:30 pm, but it certainly got colder after dark!

Bruce Hornsby was amazing, thoroughly enjoyed his performance with his top-notch band.

Unfortunately we've got other plans tonight and tomorrow, so I'll see y'all there on Sunday!

ug. that hornsby portion has me shivering. I wish I was there. The last time I saw him was at the Glen Gould theatre in Toronto...where he seemed to recognize me and walked off the stage to shake my hand. bizarre moment.

Though, I'll never forget a show that my friend Paul and I luckily caught in Hyannis Port near Cape Cod in about 1993 or 4. He played a tent on a revolving stage. The ENTIRE night was request driven. People writing on napkins and walking them right down to him. I wrote out "Jack Straw", handed it to him at his piano and sure enough, he launched into it.

There as a point during The Way It Is where Bruce was commanding the band through hand and facial signals and the whole band erupted into laughter and smiles- I wasn't sure what had happened or is they were just getting off on the groove. When Bruce left the stage with his band they were all still laughing and he grabbed his drummer in a big walking hug and told him "You saved my ass during The Way It Is"- to which the drummer replied, "Wow I thought you saved my ass!".

It was a refreshing moment that reminded me that this band was really in the moment and it was not a totally rehearsed and timed set.

There as a point during The Way It Is where Bruce was commanding the band through hand and facial signals and the whole band erupted into laughter and smiles- I wasn't sure what had happened or is they were just getting off on the groove. When Bruce left the stage with his band they were all still laughing and he grabbed his drummer in a big walking hug and told him "You saved my ass during The Way It Is"- to which the drummer replied, "Wow I thought you saved my ass!".

It was a refreshing moment that reminded me that this band was really in the moment and it was not a totally rehearsed and timed set.

I had completely forgotten about that.

Heather and I both caught it, and I think it was totally Bruceès bad. He held up his finger for the "One last progression and then end it" signal, but then he changed his mind and asked for another...three times! As soon as the last note was hit the drummer totally called him on it, laughing and pointing his stick accusingly at his boss.

Hilarious.

Hornsby was at least as great as I'd expected but I was really impressed with the Punch Brothers. That fiddle player...wow. Their version of Ophelia made me wonder why their band bio talks about the mandolin being virtuostic. Thoroughly impressed.

Here's to the weekend starting off with record numbers in attendance thanks to City and Colour's audience and fans of Steve Earle.

Hoping that I'll be able to pry myself away from the RavenLaw stage to catch some of those sets.

Bouche - do you know if he actually did recognize you from somewhere (i.e. Cape Cod show)' date=' or do you think he thought you were someone else? Anyway, that's pretty cool. :cool: [/quote']

He may have thought that I was Sam Roberts...that has happened before.

He was probably congratulating you on your marriage to Drew Barrymore

drew-barrymore-tom-green-0710-de.jpg

digging on the new mofro

did they ever bring it last night

tom morello was the big surprise for me for some odd reason i did not think it would as mind blowingly good as it was

colin hay is a total pro and a very underated...i am glad he had a nice turnout.

thanks for the review Velvet we went to the same shows yesterday

I thought Morello would be really interesting and that Colin Hay would be slighly nostalgic but otherwise meh. Wrong on both counts. Morello was so lame it almost sounded like he was joking, and Hay was so awesome I didn't budge for his entire set. I would totally go see Colin Hay again.

If any of you are on site early today allow me to recommend Sean McCann. I know nothing about McCann himself outside of being a member of Great Big Sea, but his sideman Craig Young is a pretty damn good player.

Good work on all of those reviews Velvet. And for the commenter- the levels at main stage were discussed many times but the headliners front of house staff overruled festival staff a few times resulting in too much bleed.

I snapped one fairly good picture of the Levon Helm Band with special guests during The Weight:

304326_10150773213780203_685660202_20249743_7887197_n.jpg

And got to meet many of the artists, including Tom Morello!:

319366_10150773218325203_685660202_20249837_4297423_n.jpg

Final review is up.

I thought the festival went really, really well, and what a lineup! In just four days I saw:

Hawksley Workman

Justin Townes Earle

Punch Brothers

Bruce Hornsby

City and Colour

Garland Jeffries

Steve Earle

Tom Morello

Kim Churchill

Colin Hay

JJ Grey and Mofro

Sean McCann

Levon Helm

I've been to Folkfest before, but I think only when I had been playing there - I never bought a ticket. I was usually on vacation when the fest was held, though missing it never really concerned me.

I'll be making a point to stay in town for it from now on, if this year was any indication. That said, I hope I maintain my record of not buying tickets...

what a great chilled festival

love the new digs...especially accommodating for that crazy sunset yesterday

the korean bbq tacos were tasty

i don't think i did the festival right because i thought i had a wristband for the whole thing, i looked yesterday and it said thursday on it (it was covered up by the other side of it)

so i guess i should have got a daily wristband right lol

i don't think i did the beer right either as i always seemed to have my beer with me once i went across the bike path

thurston moore was really good once he got the ghosts away from his amplification.

i was behind the 'we love you levon society' for LHB...

the chair people are funny

love this festival

for everyone involved: very good work people!