Jambands.ca

Grateful Dead Documentary ‘Long Strange Trip’ Spans 235 Minutes

Esau.

http://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-documentary-long-strange-trip-spans-235-minutes

As reported a long-in-the-making documentary about the Grateful Dead directed by Amir Bar-Lev, which counts Martin Scorsese as an executive producer, will premiere next month at the Sundance Festival. A page for the film, titled Long Strange Trip, has been posted on Sundance’s website and confirms the run time for the documentary is a whopping 235 minutes.

A May report said the documentary would be presented as a mini-series but that appears to be incorrect. Long Strange Trip will premiere at Park City’s Yarrow Hotel Theatre on Monday, January 23 at 8:30 p.m. The Yarrow Hotel Theatre will also host showings on Tuesday, January 24 at 8:30 p.m. and on Saturday, January 28 at 8:45 p.m. In addition, Salt Lake City’s Tower Theatre will screen Long Strange Trip on Thursday, January 26 at 6 p.m. The film is expected to feature plenty of never-before-seen footage and interviews.

It was probably about twenty hours long before the first edit.

Basically no other crowd in the world would entertain the idea of a four-hour movie like the Deadheads.  Good news for the director.  I bet most film makers would love to put out movies this long but the studios (via the audiences) insist on cutting more and more.

Remember that scene in the directors cut of Apocalypse Now where they encounter the Playboy bunnies?  I've often thought how much it must have sucked to have acted in such a major film and had your entire scene cut out.  And of course the director shot it because he thought it was important, and yet...cutting room floor.

1 hour ago, Velvet said:

Basically no other crowd in the world would entertain the idea of a four-hour movie like the Deadheads. 

Dylan fans would be the only others I imagine.

Bob's 1978 film 'Renaldo & Clara' was also four hours (232 minutes). I love the film but it's a tough watch for most folks. I've met three people in my life who saw the four hour version of film in a theater, in Vacouver. (only Candian showing). I may know a half dozen that claim to have watched it more than twice. It never got good reviews back then, and Dylan eventually cut it back to two hours, but it was never officially released.

8 hours ago, Esau. said:

Dylan fans would be the only others I imagine.

Bob's 1978 film 'Renaldo & Clara' was also four hours (232 minutes). I love the film but it's a tough watch for most folks. I've met three people in my life who saw the four hour version of film in a theater, in Vacouver. (only Candian showing). I may know a half dozen that claim to have watched it more than twice. It never got good reviews back then, and Dylan eventually cut it back to two hours, but it was never officially released.

Never even heard of it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...