Jambands.ca

musical highs and lows of 2003

mikey d

what were your best and worst show-oriented moments of 2003?

for me:

Standing behind the backstage area at NPS before MMW's show for an hour, and finally persuading a police officer to go backstage and get John Medeski to come out and talk to me, and then proceeding to have a great conversation with him for about 20 minutes as well as another brief one after the show

Standing 3 feet away from John Medeski, directly facing his hands at that same show.

Scoring a free ticket to Moe in T.O. (thanks to bones)

Moe's incredible Meat jam that night.

ABB's Layla encore at the Amphitheatre.

im sure theres more

And worst . . .

The hip-hop group that opened for Nero here in PTBO. They started late, stopped halfway through for about a half an hour as the lead mc was sick, and played for waaaay too long after that. not only that but they were playing eminem and the sort. this wouldnt have been much of a problem had it not been the night before a big exam at school and I had to leave about halfway through nero's set, and it was my first nero experience.

Passing out during Moe's second set.

Missing SCI

Missing AGP [Frown]

how about you?

Canada Day at Frontier, my virginity smashed through like a japanese man through "glory hole" on MXC.

Ween in Rochester (You rochester, I don't even know'er)

GTB in London.

Heiroglyphics in T.O. and then GTB in the Hammer.

De La Soul in the T-dizzle.

Izzy's on Labour Day Weekend.

Any of the shows at the Lanc recently (DD, nero, DD)

Any concert where QQC showed up randomly, such as Fat Cats in Guelph.

The trip to Ottawa for the ND. [big Grin]

And this coming New Years Eve... [Wink]

Lo's > Getting kicked out of the Raw Deal in Ottawa... BOOOOOOOOOOO!... [Mad][Mad]

but at least some good friends smuggled me back in!!! [big Grin]

The best part of this year was meeting so many awesome friends!! Hands down nothing beats that. [big Grin]

high

in retrospect, i'd have to say every Dark Star Orchestra show i had the good fortune to be at this past year (looks like 64 from the end of Jan to end of June `03)

hearing Ralph Stanley play/sing at Deer Creek

meeting Peter Rowan and hearing him sing/play reggae! was SO wicked [Cool]

meeting a whole bunch of the Allman Bros. band and crew (especially when earthfreak and I were backstage after Ottawa...her, Warren & I...we're talking about what an insanely busy schedule he keeps up, while Warren's stuffing chocolate bars in all his pockets ) it was awesome [big Grin]

NYC in the green room of Irving Plaza getting high with Woody Harrelson, Ed Norton and friends

getting BIG hugs from Mountain Girl at the California shows...being passed a spliff from MG...MG helping me sell DSO merch [Cool][Eek!]

seeing/meeting Betty Cantor Jackson again

seeing Jerilyn Lee Brandelius kickin er right down , front row at DSO

almost busting Wavy Gravy's balls for trying to sneak in the back door at a DSO show...then I realized who else walks a fake dog??

meeting John Barlow at a show in Chicago, and getting a kick out of him dancing away [Cool]

burning bowls with Sanjay Mishra [Cool]

lows

only thing that comes to mind is leaving Peterborough at 1:30 pm on a Friday, and finally arriving in Hamilton at 6:30pm through HELLISH traffic...only to see a show that musically did nothing for me live

that was the GTB/Logic show @ PJC

i'll stick to listening to GTB on cd (kinda hoppin' on the basher train with this band)

logic, I had met before and is a real nice guy, so i thought it would be good to go and support the show....would i go again, knowing what i know now... NO THANK YOU

that hiphop band that opened for nero was the fucking worst i agree but sadly there was way more people there to see them than nero and without them i wouldnt have been able to pay neros guarentee.

good

cuff the duke- every show

run chico run-trash nov 4th

deadly snakes\tangiers- last march-trash

the constantines- horseshow this year\trash this year\underground hamilton

wow bones,, i remember meeting you that night

what made you have a bum trip? was it the music or the scene an setting do you think?

man i was having a good ol time at that show, when logic busted out the disco mikeyJ tunes i was gettin down as hard as i could, even tho i was still working

Highs:

• Jammer Tuesdaze: I think every band's dream gig would be a regular/weekly show at a nice place with a good crowd. From the start of January until the end of September, I had that gig.
  • Phish/moe. in Vegas.
  • nero at moe.down
  • Keller Williams in Winooski, VT.
  • Ween in Burlington, VT.
  • Trey Anastasio Band in Burlington, VT.
  • moe./nero in Ottawa.
  • seeing ferriswheeler three times in the space of a week around Canada Day.

Lows:

• The demise of Jammer Tuesdaze.

Aloha,

Brad

so many highs:

going solo to steely dan, and meeting skanks there. aaron, bryce, you guys rock!

ween, ween. twice is a charm?

creekside jamboree... perhaps the best week i've ever spent. thanks sweetmarie, and everyone who showed up later.

nero tour: lindsay>kitchener, what a fun two days [smile]

a black girl named becky, funkiest hiphop band in the world.(common's band) damn funky!

fish fest in dover, nice fish hats, teheheheee!

tripping to ottawa, tND, Prine... but mostly everyone i met in ottawa: steve, todd and jaybone to name but a few...

lows:

its hard to pick any, since this year rocked!!! but risking alienation and a sever ass kicking... i really hated the howie day show. (sorry, but he just plain sucked, sucky suck suck).

cheers,

Craig.

HIGHS: Southern Rock week in July where I saw ABB on the Wednesday, Gov't Mule in Buffalo on Thursday and Widepread Panic in Cleveland on Friday. Also me and Stonedfree gettin' high with the Drive-By Truckers at the back of the horseshoe, Gov't Mule at the Danforth, Wasnobbi Selective at Frontier Town, seeing Bob Dylan play with Niagara Falls as the backdrop!

LOWS: Not being able to hear Willie Nelson's set at Vernon Downs, the bands that opened for the Truckers both times, George Clinton's set in Buffalo getting cut short after 40 minutes, missing Dead/Dylan at Darien Lake, missing the Mule at U of Buffalo and missing Drive-By Truckers in Buffalo despite being guests of the band!

Highs:

-EVERY nero show I saw this year. Sure, some were definately better than others, but it was nothing but smiles on my face regardless. (Personal favs: Chatham, Ottawa 4-20, Killaloe, U.S. mini tour (Buffalo & Rochester in Oct.), Holiday Run Guelph)

-Phish Nassau/Greensboro Feb. Tour run. Hadn't seen them since Hershey, PA in Fall 2000, Things felt "right" again on that tour (music aside), it was good to be home.

-Wassabi mini-tour June 12 &13. 2 days and nights (no sleep, what a surprise) of drunken, drugged up silliness... I don't think I had ever danced that hard in my life!

-CTMF May 24. Those who were there, know...

Lows:

-BNB @ The Horseshoe. The "comeback" show. Too hot, too crowded, and the music sucked. I don't care that they played Frankenstein, they did it horribly.

-DJ Logic/GTB. The bus played a sub-par set, and Logic stunk the place up. I was generally (and chemically) excited to see him, but I got so bored I spent most of the night on the patio talking to people. I stand by my earlier statements regarding Logic's skills (or lack thereof).

Overall a great year.

For the most part, the year has been one big high. I recently marked the first anniversary of getting involved in the Ottawa and greater Canadian jamband scene, instead of just staying on my ass and listening to the same old CDs I was actually out seeing new bands and experience new music. So big hugs and thanks to all of the bands I got to discover and experience in small clubs around Ottawa and Wakefield this year : The Music Never Stopped, Blue Grassy High, Dr. Huxtable, Hiway Freeker/Bob Dylan Project, Ferriswheeler, Grand Theft Bus, nero, Project Gold, Jiva Ju, Spincycle, Uncle Seth, Quivertwist, Bluestone, The Slip, The Serotones and way too many others to remember on Christmas Eve [Razz] I especially thank them for not only providing me with wonderful music but also helping me out in a number of my other efforts, notable the Pagan Picnic and Dr. Huxtable playing the Witches Gathering. Hopefully we can all make the Food For The Soul Jamboree a success this year.

I would be sadly remiss if not mentioning that this year I finally got to see my idols the ABB at the Blues Festival, particularly Warren Haynes [smile]

Bummers : as bradm said, the loss of Jammer Tuesdaze and Jambands Thursdays. However, now that I have seen and met these musicians and bands, I can at least keep my eyes open for future shows.

RnB

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

highs

summer camp (moe, keller, umphry's) may 24

bonnaroo

berkfest

albeny phish 12 01 03

vernen downs- the dead, moe , willie

TND zen fest NYC

silver hearts every wednesday i could make it

TND halifax chillin with ricky from TPB

New Orleans Halloween

jazz fest Montreal

lows

stealy dan

leafs out frist round game 7

Highs: in order

Phish Cinci

July 1st Weekend (party first music second)

Hookah in Lansing Michigan (Temple Theater)

Greendale in June

Smoking doobs in the basement of Howie Day while he did his thing UPstairs.

The Kitchener weekends of Nero and then Deisel Dog. Wicked people wicked parties.

The weekend of GTB and JSB and jam sessions at Willy's

I, like Thorg, also like the random QQC show upp'rs

Lows:

All the Fuckin weddings that ruined my summer (you'd think i'd be happy for my friends, but no.)

ups - gtb/jsb seamless sets. may 24 frontiertown (esp. wassabi, caution in the saloon, and the slip). wilco. greendale in june. dylan/dead @ darien. george clinton in london. bjork on the island. martin tielli in guelph. bnb @ cto. nero the other nite.

downs - no shows stick out in my mind as being bad at all....but mmw at evolve didnt do it for me, my state of mind held me back from having a good time at labour day come together, and moe. in toronto was almost too much to handle.

hi's:

- frontier town July 1st weekend (especially Friday Night)

- 50 Jazz Reunion @ Massey Hall

- Kodo Drummers

- AGP

- FRONT ROW Ratdog

- The Slip (both htown and ftown)

- Antibalas

- Stephen Franke & Noises From the Toolshed

- Greendale (both of them)

- BB King (so much better than before he had his 'big band')

- DJ Logic

- Bela at Massey Hall, and meeting Vic at BK.

- King Sunshine

lo's:

- White Stripes opening for the Stones

- Getting denied going to Phish in Cincy

- The Rap Event at PJC in February (i think feb)

- Bowie getting Cancelled

- Missing Simon and Garfunkel (stupid, stupid, stupid)

- No More Frontier Town (major major bummer)

Tough to Remember:

Best:

1. B.B. King's Blues Festival and the security guard girl clearly coming on to me while I was grooving to Galactic.

2. Spearhead at Bonnaroo. Just incredible, plain and simple.

3. Dead at Darien. So many friends, so much fun.

4. nero and AGP last week. oh boy.

5. Thanksgiving weekend with SCI, GTB, nero, JSB and Jomomma. fun!

6. Phish at Shoreline. Phish in Nassau, Philly, Albany and now Miami.

Worst:

1. 8 hour wait in the cold and rain at Bonnaroo after partying for the first 8 hours of the 16 hour wait.

2. Losing the girl at B.B. King because I was too far gone to remember where to meet her.

that's all I can remember.

Guest Low Roller

HIGHS:

1. Radiohead in Montreal. By far the top concert of the year for me musically and emotionally. Worlds colliding.

2. Phish/moe. Las Vegas

3. moe./Nero in Ottawa and Montreal

4. The White Stripes in Montreal the night after moe./Nero in Ottawa and Montreal. Awesome show.

5. Gotan Project in Montreal

Honourable mentions:

- SHARING THE GROOVE!

- The Dead in Saratoga. My first Dead show.

- Allman bros., Spearhead, New Deal, and Robert Randolph at the Ottawa Bluesfest

- MMW in Montreal. My first MMW show.

- SCI in Montreal. My first SCI show.

- Blue Grassy High letting me play on stage with them for a couple of tunes despite all the internal turmoil and contractual disputes that were happening at the time.

LOWS:

1. Radiohead in Toronto. Bad karma all night.

2. MMW in Ottawa. The small crowd deflated the band at the start and they never recovered.

3. Missing Neil Young (twice!), Rancid, Broken Social Scene, moe./Nero in Burlington and Toronto, DJ Logic and scores of others I can't remember right now.

4. The sudden disapearance of the Ottawa jam scene.

5. Not enough time, money, and energy to be everywhere for every show.

hahahah i remember that girl shainhouse.

highs> logic and bus, AGP, Phish in cincy, Phish on the control tower,Phish comin thru the car radio on the bunny, the archives this year fuckin rocked, callin the opener at IT, ween in new hampshire, the friday13th wassabi show @PJC, slip @frontier, that whole may24 was so fun, harper, king sunshine, RHCP, agmufuckinp, ratdog, seeing Myka again

lows> steve gettin shut down, we missed ya bro, the mud at IT, my foot at frontiertown canada day, blacking out during moe.TO, jeff beck@bbking, i got to front row no worries,, then i foudn out why,, cuz beck was reeking the joint up. PEEEEE YEWWW! working the door outside for how many, at least 30+ shows, not being able to see the goods happening,i know theres more, cuz i remember whining about more then that,, but thast all i can remember for now.

Highs:

Helping start U.F.Productions and working at PJC.

Cheers to Shane & Ken.

Highest moment though....being invited by Briguy to assist in the promoting and working of Little Feat in Hamilton,meeting the band and seeing my favourite Canjam band open for them...so fucking sweet!!

Fat Cats(my favourite Canjam band,so all shows are highs mostly the Little Feat show)

Spring Shaker Fest (nero,TWC,GTB,JSB and others)

The Slip at PJC

Drums & Tuba at PJC

CTMF (may)

Gov't Mule

AGP

GTB/JSB seamless sets NYE in PEI(1700 folks in a bar in Charolettetown...come on!!)

So many more shows.....etc etc

Lows:

Not important.

Archived