Jambands.ca

Bit of time Wasting nonsense : guitarists!

kung

Was hoping someone like Velvet would pipe up. Seriously certain players are guitarists guitarists- Lenny Breau, Kevin Breit, Bill Frisell. It's odd that so many of the calls for best guitarist really come out of one or two branches of american musical tradition i.e. southern blues rock and prog rock. Admittedly it's hard to find all the wonders of the world out there. Tielli's a good call too, Fareed Haque, what about our good man Brad Barr (check out his tune Built Frisell).

I have always thought Brian Setzer was a full steam ahead kinda guy......and Andy Summers is rather unique, props to Steve Cropper and here's hoping SRV is one of those "notable musicians"

I dont know alot about Buckethead, but on Bonarroo, he peaks my interest. Cheers to Slash.........seriously.

Hey Velvet, dont you love Marc Ribot?

I never should have read this thread...

Yeah, Kevin Breit is one of those unknown-ish Canadian guitarists. Check him out every Monday night at the Orbit Room in Toronto.

And of course, a tip of the hat to all those great studio guys, like Cropper, Allman, Baxter, and you gotta love guys who nail their styles down like Seltzer and SRV (who I saw in concert together!), but I really want to emphasize that everyone who likes monster players should go out and but a Danny Gatton cd as soon as they can. I mean, really, he's the greatest! Country/jazz/blues/twang, all rolled together to make crazy hillbilly jazz. It's stupid how good it is. Gawd. You could stop on your way home from work today and grab it. Just get some. Let me know how you like it.

And the real reason I shouldn't have even read this post: I'm sorry Dave, but Eric Johnson's tone makes me wish the electric guitar had never been invented. C'mon now.

Along with the awe-inspiring Gatton, we'd have to include Albert Lee, and (in the tragic category) Roy Buchanan.

Jimmy Vaughan is also one of the greats: he's not a blow-you-away "flash" player; he plays exactly what's required, no more, no less, and with absolute taste.

Aloha,

Brad

The Breit Brothers do a wonderful cover of "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" on the Neil Young tribute CD, Borrowed Tunes. Kevin's playing is beautiful on it.

Howzabout heartstopping individual guitar moments?

Hendrix : Solo on "All Along The Watchtower"

Gilmour : opening notes to "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", Pink Floyd

Jerry Garcia : second guitar solo, "Eyes Of The World", One From The Vault

Bernard Sumner : closing moments of the live version of "Shadowplay", Joy Division

Eddie Hazel, Michael Hampton, Blackbird McKnight : intertwining simultaneous solos, "Maggot Brain", P-Funk All Stars Live At The Beverley Theatre

Bernard Butler : closing guitar freakout, "Asphalt World", Suede

Robert Fripp : "Heroes", David Bowie

James Burton : solo, "Polk Salad Annie", Elvis Presley Live On Tour movie

Richard Thompson : solo, live version of "When The Spell Is Broken"

Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham : solo before last verse of "Still In Love With You", Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous

Dave Roback : guitar line through a Leslie cabinet, "Cry Cry", Mazzy Star

Nick McCabe : closing jam out on live version of "Gravity Grave", The Verve

Pete Cosey and Reggie Lucas : heavy blacksploitation soundtrack styled guitar groove/freakout on "Prelude" from Agharta by Miles Davis

Geordie Walker : opening riff to "Empire Song" by Killing Joke

Lee Underwood : jam out at end of live version of "Drifting" by Tim Buckley

Ron Ashton : "TV Eye" by the Stooges, the whole damned thing

Peter Green : closing jam of "Green Manalishi", Fleetwood Mac

Johnny Marr : the lead riff, "The Queen Is Dead", the Smiths

Frank Zappa : original solo to "Outside Now" from the Guitar CD

Bob Mould : solo, "Tilted", Sugar

more as they come to me ...

Rob Not Bob

NP : Grateful Dead, Rotterdam, Holland, 5/11/72

Hey! Nice call on Kevin Breit, for sure. I'd add two Canadians to the mix that I don't think have been mentioned:

* Don Ross - Scary-good acoustic player, if you've never heard him I'd definitely recommend checking out:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/181/don_ross.html

* Kim Mitchell - I know, a lot of y'young folks here are thinking "what, the "Patio Lanterns" guy?" but check out some of his early stuff with the band Max Webster - there's an almost a Zappa-ish vibe to some of that stuff, and Mitchell's got the slipperiest left this side of Steve Vai - I just love that no-attack-note-squeezed-from-nowhere kind of sound they both have.

Peace,

Mr. M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

Kim Mitchell

Bang on (as arcane would say, "get outta my head"), and he's another one (I now realize) in my "best of..." album category. Growing up in Scarberia in the late '70s - early '80s, Max Webster was yet another mainstay. I know of at least two buddies of mine who, upon waking up after our Grade 13 formal, put "Hangover" on the stereo as the first thing they did...

Don Ross is also amazing; I could listent to a whole album of him just re-tuning between songs.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

"Hangover" on the stereo as the first thing they did...

Jeez Brad, we're having a lot of syncronicity moments today - my buddies and I (when we were growing up in Scarberia) used to crank up "Hangover" on the stereo the morning after parties as well - followed closely by "Hair Of The Dog" - the song and the, err, cure. [Wink]

"Battlescar", "Toronto Tontos", "The Party" & "Check" were also obvious festive sing-alongs for all drunken occations - a Molson Dry in one hand, or preferably, both hands. Ahhhh the 80s...

- M.

How about Huddie Ledbetter a.k.a. Leadbelly. He was an incredible finger-picking 12 string player from the Thirties.

Another old finger picker was a guy named Blind Lemon. Not much is known about him, but he left a few recordings.

I believe the Folkways label has stuff from both of these guys. It's what the kids today call " old school" [Cool]

Wow, someone other than myself giving props to Kim Mitchell?!? Awesome! [smile] "Battlescar" is a great tune.

I just checked out Don Ross' website after seeing him mentioned here, and noticed that he's playing tonight in Kingston - check him out if you're in the area! Its at the Grand Theatre.

I believe Jake Langley was the name of One Step Beyond's old guitarist.

Nice thread!

This subject came up on another e-mail list, thought I would toss it out to the Santuarians ... personal guitar heroes! Here is my "Top Five FavoriteGuitarists" list, which of course is 67 players

long because hey, what's in name? [smile] These aren't in any particular order,

but a number of notable musicians (Jerry, Trey, Hendrix, Page, etc.) are

missing because they have such huge followings they have transended being

limited to my favorites, they belong to the world [Wink] Comment, critique, complain, contribute your own list ... it's fun! Here goes :

1. Duane Allman (Allman Brothers Band, Derek And The Dominoes)

2. Dickey Betts (Allman Brothers Band, Great Southern)

3. Warren Haynes (Allman Brothers Band, Gov't Mule, Phil Lesh Quintet)

4. Derek Trucks (Allman Brothers Band, Derek Trucks Band)

5. Jimmy Herring (Allman Brothers Band auxilliary, Phil Lesh Quintet,

Aquarium Rescue Unit, Jazz Is Dead)

6. Steve Howe (Yes)

7. Steve Hackett (Genesis, solo)

8. Steve Rothery (Marillion)

9. Eddie Hazel (P-Funk)

10. Jimmy Nolen (James Brown)

11. Michael Hampton (P-Funk)

12. David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

13. Frank Zappa (Mothers Of Invention etc.)

14. Robert Fripp (King Crimson, Sylvian/Fripp)

15. Richard Thompson (Fairport Convention, solo and with Linda Thompson)

16. Bernard Butler (Suede, solo)

17. John Squire (Stone Roses, Seahorses)

18. The Edge (U2)

19. Adrian Belew (King Crimson, David Bowie, Frank Zappa)

20. Mick Ronson (David Bowie, Bob Dylan & The Rolling Thunder Review)

21. Reeves Gabrels (Tin Machine, David Bowie)

22. Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead)

23. Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music)

24. John McLaughlin (Miles Davis, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Shakti, solo)

25. Kim Thayil (Soundgarden)

26. Carlos Santana (Santana)

27. Lowell George (Little Feat)

28. Paul Barrere (Little Feat)

29. Fred Tackett (Little Feat)

30. Michael Houser (Widespread Panic)

31. James Burton (Elvis Presley, Rickey Nelson, Roy Orbison)

32. Johnny Marr (The Smiths, The The)

33. George Harrison (The Beatles, solo)

34. Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac)

35. Steve Cropper (Booker T & The MGs and pretty much everything done in the

classic era of Stax)

36. Al DiMeola (Return To Forever, solo)

37. Pete Cosey (Miles Davis)

38. Reggie Lucas (Miles Davis)

39. Marc Ribot (Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, David Sylvian)

40. Bernard Sumner (Joy Division, New Order)

41. Rowland S. Howard (The Birthday Party, These Immortal Souls, Crime & The

City Solution)

42. Will Sargent (Echo & The Bunnymen, Electrafixion)

43. Jorma Kaukonnen (Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna)

44. Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser (Blue Oyster Cult)

45. Vernon Reid (Living Color)

46. Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy)

47. Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy)

48. Michael Karoli (Can)

49. Marty Willson-Piper (The Church, All About Eve)

50. Ron Ashton (The Stooges)

51. Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith Group)

52. Dean Wareham (Galaxie 500, Luna)

53. Nick McCabe (Verve)

54. Robby Krieger (The Doors)

55. Dave Roback (Mazzy Star, Opal, Rain Parade)

56. Geordie Walker (Killing Joke, Murder Inc.)

57. Craig Scanlon (The Fall)

58. Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction, Deconstruction, Red Hot Chili Peppers)

59. Mato Nanji (Indigenous)

60. Dave Brock (Hawkwind)

61. Huw Lloyd-Langton (Hawkwind)

62. Lee Underwood (Tim Buckley)

63. Brix E. Smith (The Fall)

64. Bob Mould (Husker Du, Sugar)

65. Martin Barre (Jethro Tull)

66. Larry "Ler" Lalonde (Primus)

67. Garnett Rogers (Stan Rogers, solo)

68. Paul Kossoff (Free, Backstreet Crawler)

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

Rob, have you ever heard Steve Kimock?

My favourite living guitar player.
[smile]

Unfortunately I've only hear a little bit of him and that is on releases where he is playing with other guitarists so it is hard to distinguish which is him and which is the Other Guy (Love Will See You Through and Only The Strange Remain). I'd love to hear more of his own stuff, but you know, so much music, so little time [smile]

Rob Not Bob

NP : Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Henry's Dream

On "Only The Strange Remain", (which is, pardon my french, a fucking incredible and underrated live album) the 2 lead guitar tracks, Kimock and Karan, are on separate channels, ie. Left/Right...if you pan right you get one guy, pan left the other...I forget which is which at the moment, but that's one way of hearing him clearly on that album.

Best "Corrina" of all-time on that one as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

On "Only The Strange Remain", (which is, pardon my french, a fucking incredible and underrated live album) the 2 lead guitar tracks, Kimock and Karan, are on separate channels, ie. Left/Right...if you pan right you get one guy, pan left the other...I forget which is which at the moment, but that's one way of hearing him clearly on that album.

Best "Corrina" of all-time on that one as well.

Sort of like being the most powerful pro football team in Alaska [smile] Actually, that's probably the one version of that song I like, but it's been a while since I listened to it ... I recently DLed 5/11/72 and found a copy of 5/26/72 that I had gotten in a trade some time ago and never listened to, and that has been my Dead related listening for the past few days [Wink]

Rob Not Bob

Archived