Jambands.ca

I am *so* reading Slash's autobiography...

Patchoulia

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work with a guy who did stage set up back in the early 90's. He told me this story once of how his boss volunteered him to drive Slash up to Eddie Van Halens cottage in Muskoka after a GNR show in Toronto. He said they did blow and drank whiskey the whole way up. Said Slash chain smoked the entire ride. Said Salsh was just a nice dude.

Im a sucker for good stories, but I like to believe this one is true.

The guy was driving while drinking whisky and doing blow???

-My Quest to Purchase this Book-

I went to try to purchase this book on Friday night at the Chapters in my neighbourhood.

I searched the "New and Exciting" displays at the front of the store, with no luck. Then I checked the auto/biography section, with similar results.

I couldn't see anyone who looked like they worked there, so I located one of those look-stuff-up computers and determined that the store apparently had 20 copies of the book and they were, evidently, shelved in the "Arts & Entertainment" section.

After wandering around for a good 10 minutes looking for the aforementioned "Arts & Entertainment" section (and seeing nary an employee who could assist me), I decided to butt into the check-out line and ask the woman working there where I could find it.

Despite shopping in this store pretty regularly for the past 3 or 4 years, I had no idea there was a second floor. Huh. Who knew? Evidently, that's where they keep their arts & entertainment.

I ventured upstairs and still could not find the book. I did, however, find an employee and asked her to assist me. She searched the same section I had just perused and also came up empty.

She then told me, if the book was new, it might still be "in the back". She went to the "back" and came back several minutes later, empty-handed. She then informed me that the 20 copies were likely unpacked and loaded on to a trolley for shelving...she went upstairs, located the cart in question and...did not find the book(s).

Apparently, they lost 20 copies of Slash's new book.

They're supposed to call me if/when they find them.

I have a sickness where I can't leave a bookstore without purchasing something. It's expensive, but I'm getting help.

Anyway, since I had to buy something, I bought Kevin Smith's new book...it's a collection of his blog entries, in book form...it's oddly and remarkably compelling reading.

-end saga-

The people helping you sound like idiots. Although yesterday/today is when stock gets changed over, so I suppose it could have been in transit somewhere. Or on an endcap/wheelie/other display (They can check which displays its supposed to be on if they are smart enough). Or wherever they put the books they think will get stolen. I work at Coles, we have a bunch of them on display behind the cash desk. Actually, maybe try going to a Coles. The stores are much smaller and therefore harder to lose things in. And probably more likely to actually call you when they find it.

Edited by Guest

you can also check store stock through the website, maybe then you can call another store that allegedly has it and get someone to confirm over the phone and then reserve it for you at the cash or something. customer service can really be an oxymoron sometimes. good luck

My sister picked up this book for me in NYC this weekend -- I started it last night/today and it is.... AWESOME!!! Sooooo great to have a killer book like this to read on these cold wintery days.

Although my sis' story about trying to buy the book is quite funny/shocking -- when she asked to buy the "Slash" autobiography, the person helping her at the book store first said "What's it called?" -- she said "Slash" -- and then bookstore employee said "Who's it by?" -- my sis said, again, "Slash". This girl/idiot working at the store HAD NO IDEA WHO SLASH WAS. Jesus, save us all.

Maybe you could just score some heroin and blow and lock yourself up in your pad for a couple days and LIVE THE DREAM!

Then you could write a book about it! Which people would try to buy, but be prevented from buying by screwed-up sales personnel and systems at large bookstore chains, causing them to be frustrated and spend their money on heroin and blow, which they'd use locked up in their pads for a couple of days, LIVING THE DREAM, and then writing their own books, which other people would try to buy... Think of it as a multi-level life-adjustment scheme...

Aloha,

Brad

I started this book on Saturday afternoon...and finished it on Sunday morning.

Very entertaining read...debauchery and personal history aside, I found it fascinating to read how a band that became as huge as G n'R did, as quickly as they did, managed it..and what led to their downfall. This book gives a great snapshot of that. Also interesting to read how they came up with some of their songs, famous lyrics and signature guitar leads.

Definitely recommend it.

Incidentally, I finished the Kevin Smith book, too..which, if you've read any of his blog (or seen "An Evening with Kevin Smith), you'll know, was an hilarious look at pretty much every aspect of his life (and history).

Slash Announces Toronto Book Signing

posted Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 11:35:29 PM by zMETALlica. (thanks BWBK)

Former GUNS N' ROSES and current VELVET REVOLVER guitarist SLASH will be signing copies of his self-titled memoir, Slash, in Toronto, ONT on Monday, November 19th at 7pm at Chapters Festival Hall.

Chapters Festival Hall is located at 142 John St. For further info, contact the store at 416-595-7349.

anybody else go to this signing? it was madness. 3 floors of people lined up weaving throughout the book shelves and up escalators. quite the event. apparently there were people there lined up at 1:15 am the night before!! regardless i got a couple shots and my book signed.

Edited by Guest