Jambands.ca

Smoking FActs

headymamamyrna

First off, the Government doesn't care, they just pretend to so that they can keep the support of the non-smoking population. They make way too much money off of it to actually care.

sorry jayr, but that's wrong.

smoking now costs society. yes, the government raises revenues through taxation, but since 2002/04, more moneys are spent on smoking-related healthcare than moneys coming in, and that's just direct costs.

i work in health research and deal everyday with people in government and can assure you that they do care a great deal about the health of Canadians. they care a great deal. it's very sad that you think otherwise.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually read something recently that because life expectancy has increased it's costing more (health) money to keep the frail living into their twilight years.

i think we should give the coffin-dodgers free smokes and unlimited, heavily salted big macs to lighten the load on the top-end of the system.

Now you see, there in lies your problem. Reading can do nothing but lead to trouble.

I call on our government to organize a good ole fashion bookburning!

Whose with me? High Five!

First off' date=' the Government doesn't care, they just pretend to so that they can keep the support of the non-smoking population. They make way too much money off of it to actually care.[/quote']

sorry jayr, but that's wrong.

smoking now costs society. yes, the government raises revenues through taxation, but since 2002/04, more moneys are spent on smoking-related healthcare than moneys coming in, and that's just direct costs.

i work in health research and deal everyday with people in government and can assure you that they do care a great deal about the health of Canadians. they care a great deal. it's very sad that you think otherwise.

I believe that people care. Sorry, I did make that comment in haste but lately I have become extemely skeptical of Government in general because money is all that seems to matter. My comment was more directed towards highlevel Government because I am sure that workers in healthcare and other areas that actually deal with these issues first hand could not care more.

Peace,

J

Isn't it possible that revenues are low because fewer people are currrently smoking, while costs are simultaneously high because hospitals are treating people who already spent a lifetime smoking? There's bound to be a time-lag between the decrease in the number of smokers and the decrease in the money spent on treating smoking-related diseases and illnesses. Since fewer people are taking up smoking than ever before, it stands to reason that in the future there will be lower costs associated with treating the attendent illnesses.

last time i looked you could legally buy cigarettes in corner stores. ban that sale and you hugely reduce cigarette consumption within the mainstream.

Doubtful. Consumption may decrease somewhat, but what's more likely to happen is cigarettes will be produced and sold illegally.

I could see people growing their own tobacco if cigarettes were made illegal.

are you naive enough to actually think that your middle-class neighbours are going to drive their SUV's down to the comfort zone at midnight for a hit of tobacco? please. they will just stop smoking.

Read up on prohibition of alcohol in the US 1919-1933. Alcohol was banned in the entire country, but somehow a lot of people managed to go to bars (speakeasies) nightly, while organized criminals got rich.

Isn't it possible that revenues are low because fewer people are currrently smoking, while costs are simultaneously high because hospitals are treating people who already spent a lifetime smoking? There's bound to be a time-lag between the decrease in the number of smokers and the decrease in the money spent on treating smoking-related diseases and illnesses. Since fewer people are taking up smoking than ever before, it stands to reason that in the future there will be lower costs associated with treating the attendent illnesses.

absolutely. most researchers recognize a 15- to 30-year time lag depending on clinical outcome. yes, fewer people smoke now and compounding that "deficit" is the fact that various jurisdictions in Canada (Ontario included) have actually lowered cigarette taxes (primarily because of smuggling) much to the disgust of health groups. and as you point out, we are currently dealing with health costs of people who smoked 20 years ago. no doubt, its a very complex social, political, and economic issue.

Since when did the plural of money have an 's' at the end?

its an Economics term used in policy circles to refer to discrete streams of revenue, taxation, expenditure, etc. “moneys†or “monies†are both acceptable, but the former is preferred. im not sure why.

Bla Bla Bla...smoking's bad for you, quit or don't.

opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one.

So why did you bother to chime in.

By the way..I just put up some imformation. Its not up to me if you smoke or don't and I certainly don't judge people about there decisions regarding this. Addiction is a tricky bitch. The thread was here.

Nathan Moore (not sure about the song's title):

I have unprotected sex tons of times

I've never broken out in hives

I’ve never gotten anyone pregnant

I’ve never ruined any lives

I’ve done psychedelic drugs tons of times

I’ve never jumped, thought that I could fly

But I wouldn’t trade anything for the world I’ve seen

With my third eye

And I smoke cigarettes

I know one day I’ll die

But not til I’m done living

And that could take the rest of my life

Mary wanna dance all night long

She pleads with me “Please sing another songâ€

And I feel thankful every time I get the chance to find

Mary wanna dance

And I drink alcohol

I know one day I’ll die

What’s next? Let’s see we’ll flip a coin

My destiny could be to hop this train

But I’ve done it all for Lady Luck

I’ve left it all up for the Lord to explain

Oh this magic Life

I know one day I’ll die

Anyone that has tried to quit knows that smoking is not a choice. Sure you choose to start (most people make this choice when they are pretty young, and I think few consciously choose to become addicted) but once your hooked it's not a choice anymore, it's a compulsion.

They still make John Player Specials and they still come in the same box. Those things are as strong as rez butts for chrissakes!

I havent baught a pack in years for that exact reason. I havent noticed them around either, so just figured they were gonzo. Maybe Ill indulge myself the next time I go out on the town though.