Jambands.ca

QOTW - 03/29/08

scottieking

What songs do you feel that there is one version so strong that no one should attempt a cover?

For me, two of the untouchables are Van Morrison's original recording of Into The Mystic and Rust Never Sleep's perfect Trasher, one of my favorite Neil Young moments.

Well, I saw Glen Hansard from the movie Once (and the band The Frames) do a solo acoustic version of Into The Mystic that was fucking cool. It is touchable when he does it.

I heard Bob Dylan said that after Hendrix did "All Along the Watchtower," that it was his song now and nobody could do it better.

This is a hard question because some songs you think only the original will do and then you hear it covered and get blown away. E.G. I heard Gov. Mule perform "The Ocean" by Zeppelin and it was killer.

But anyway, I pick, "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath"- Black Sabbath

there are a lot of songs in the James Brown / Al Green / Muddy Waters songbook that shouldn't be attempted by others.

I'll say "I Feel Good" by Brown cannot be imitated or duplicated, above all others that I can think of at this moment.

Yeah, I always hated that damn "Into the Mystic" song and, well, anything Van Morrison, really, until I heard the Warrenized version. :)

was gonna post the same thing..

into the mysitc with warren, and karl denson on flute was sweet on jamcruise...

its strange, i've heard some beautiful dead covers. yet phish covers never seem to be really good.

Edited by Guest

But anyway, I pick, "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath"- Black Sabbath

funny (good call)... hopped into the car a few weeks back and was quite taken aback by the tasteful lounge music sounds coming from the radio and the ultra pretty feminine vocals accompanying... not elevator music, something bold, rich and magestic while frail and intricate... thought sounded somewhat familiar, tried to place it, was unduly pleased to realize it was a very pretty version of sabbath bloody sabbath

if someone tries to cover The Bird Song, they'd better not be fuckin around

I heard an R&B version of a Pink Floyd song the other day I thought was really odd. It was off Floyd's worst album (A Momentary lapse of Reason). Either On the Turning Away or Learning to Fly. It wasn't good IMHO and a weird choice for a Floyd cover.

The version of Hurt that Cash did... even Resnor should leave it alone now.

yup.

What songs do you feel that there is one version so strong that no one should attempt a cover?

For me, two of the untouchables are Van Morrison's original recording of Into The Mystic and Rust Never Sleep's perfect Trasher, one of my favorite Neil Young moments.

have you heard stephen fearing's version of thrasher?