Jambands.ca

Most Under-rated Can Jambands

Greg Hemmings

I know there are so many more great bands out there in Canada that i just havent heard. For example Mark Tonin jsut sent me a sampler with Diesel Dog on it, it was great! Anyway, unfortunately not all bands can tour to get their sounds out. One band that does tour alot and I must say are kicking some beautiful jams is Tala..I saw them twice last week to small but very appreciative crowds. Definately check them out...in my mind they are very under rated and should be getting more attention then they do....Any other not-so-known bands we should hear more of????

I agree with ya about Tala,we had them at Pepper Jacks and they kicked ass.

They lowrider sitar jam was amazing.

Definetly should be gettin more attention,

We had Rueben's Exotic Ranch last night and I beleive they are underated also,great jazz jams,very clean sound,really laid back vibe...

Very good show.

Esau13

Uncle Fungi Productions

Gotta agree with the underated Diesel Dog, just a great vibe comin off those guys

quote:

If I remember correctly, it was a major disco funk time!

I don't know what the hell was going on in there, but I sure was sure as hell lovin it!!! [Eek!]

can't wait until the 17th

was really impressed by what I caught of the tail-end of the fairly empty Tala show as well... really looking forward to a full show with a bigger crowd. [Razz]

Agreed, Tala is amazing. I have only seen Diesel Dog at CTMF but once was enough to make me a fan.

I think one of the best things going (aside from my beloved nero...that's just too easy) is Blue Quarter. Very danceable, tranceable and even a spectacle with the chapman stick and all. Incredible tightness and pretty unique sound.

well then, just noticed Diesel Dog, Mark Wilson and the Way and Erin Smith are playin in Port Dover New Years... that actually sounds like a lot of fun........ gonna have to think about that................

couple of other under-rated and under-discussed j-bands are Guest House and Friends of Hefner outta Brantford... some jiggedy grooves there

pretty much totally unheard of is a band that plays every monday @ mermaid's lounge in hamilton called This Way Out... jazz with a twist... they've been groovin their extended mix jazz jams for 3 or 4 years now... brilliant players... made up of most of the members of Jam Central Station... one of hamilton's many hidden musical gems

Diesel Dog really ripped up the Saloon at Frontier Town last Canada Day.

I remember showing up there at like 1 AM. We heard some killer Garcia band music going on in there, got our tents up, and headed straight over. They gave us a great party at that time of night. If I remember correctly, it was a major disco funk time!

Hey Mark! Whats yer phone number so i can call ya right now?

On another Under rated music note...where is Moses Mayes and the funk family orchestra these days? IO saw them open for the bus 2 halloween's ago and they blew my mind..also i just picked up their CD and its much more than I expected, those guys are incredible...are they still around? These bands gots to start touring more!!!!

I know they are not truly underrated but

JUKEJOINT

would have to be the best 'least talk about' band that i've seen around.

that band is too good, way too good. The members are so schooled in such a variety of music, i believe they could really do well for themselves. ( i guess they just don't want to? )

anyways, they get my vote

hey jay from soul pleasure here, just wanted to let you guys know we had some problems with our bass player and scott went to new zealand for a month.

So know we got 2 keykeyboard players (one piano) and our key player is playin the bass lines as well.

We are in midst of a huge change which you i think you guys will dig aswell.

We are changing the band which i wasnt going to mention but what the heck, heres the it is. SANZWILL, which means free will.

Paisley you were at that raven show [Frown] , thats too bad cause we got cut off after like 4 songs.

Give us about another month and we are ready to hit the scene for good this time, we are all working hard on this.

Hey Greg maybe you can hook us up at peppers when we are ready to start giging again [Wink]

Days Of You

Not so under-rated amongst my closest friends, but in the grand scheme of things, they sure are. I will never understand that. When we started to see them in 1990, I envisioned them playing huge gigs, which never materialized. In a selfish way, I am thankfull, but I have always wanted the best for them.

well...i dont' think a band is one of the best if they don't play mostly originals. i know there are killer bands that play covers but anybody can learn other people's songs - even though not everyone can do it really really well...those same people could likely play really realyl good originals too.

i'd have to say that i think that the aaron macdonald band is one of the better underrated canadian jambands. i don't really dig on the whole poppy side (songy) of jambands but they're pretty good. great songs and good voices. i think jukejoint is a jazz band more than a jamband but they're not as prolific as they deserve to be.

if i counted coverbands, i'd say the music never stopped or caution jam...tmns is tribute and caution jam are a bunch of geezers that want to play fun tunes. those guys have really impressed me before. great party and greater jams by the day. caution jam are worth cover and tmns don't play enough.

really, a lot of jammier bands aren't really underrated, just underappreciated. few bands really unimpress me. i'm not a fan of AMB but i understand the talent. i just don't dig on em. same with fat cats and they're a fantastic band. i just don't like to hear a lot of stuff that reminds me of the radio and a lot of rockier bands do that to me.

quote:

Days Of You

Not so under-rated amongst my closest friends, but in the grand scheme of things, they sure are. I will never understand that. When we started to see them in 1990, I envisioned them playing huge gigs, which never materialized. In a selfish way, I am thankfull, but I have always wanted the best for them.

I'd have to say no-rated, when was the last time they actually played a gig. three in a row no shows for their last three local gigs....

they do exist?

DOY were awesome. (note use of past-tense) I must have seen them 60+ times back in the day. One time at the Penguin in Ottawa, I went outside between sets to smoke a fatty and returned to the best DOY set ever - of the many times I saw them, this was by far the most intense show - they totally blew my mind that night. (or maybe it was the pot...) I've seen a lot of shitty shows from them as well, but Thackway always seems to redeem himself... I also saw them a few days after Jerry's death and had a long coversation with him about Jerry - he's a cool guy. (so was Jerry) I think I'll go and eat a toasted bagel.

Remember the Would-Be Traveler's Promenade? I saw them a few times in Hamilton a few years ago and was very intrigued. I'm guessing that they all went their separate ways though.. Anyone know? Last time I heard that name mentioned was just a few weeks ago on here, when one of the BNB dudes posted about a one-off show going on in Toronto with some of their former members.

I thought Jazz Pharmacy from Montreal were pretty cool too. It wasn't the dancy-est of music but very experimental and spacey.. I liked.

Hey Greg, Moses Mayes & The Funk Family Orchestra broke up at the end of June.. Too bad eh? Actually they did get back together for one final show -- they opened for James Brown in Winnipeg in the Summer! Besides that though, they're done. (CLICK HERE)

Yeah, last Moses Mayes gig I seen wuz at the Winnipeg Jazz Fest. Dude Everyone wuz getting down with the funk! Too bad I wuz out of town for the James B. opener. A buddy of mine saw that show and said that they even jammed with James for a song or something to that effect. I miis those days. Hope to see them get out there again.

Must agree, JUKE JOINT definitely were such a pleasure to take in. Unfortunately, they have gone their seperate ways to persue other venues. Rumour has it that James Quinn, guitarist from DownTime and Dave, drummer from Juke Joint, are putting together a trio. Let's keep our fingers crossed 'cause I think it would be a welcomed addition to this scene and the music community in general.

In Peace,

Can'o'phish

jazz pharmacy's an awesome band...i lost a bit of interest when they released their full length...didn't seem to have the same earthy sound i totally loved...couldmn't hear the vox enough on a couple of songs...really digital sounding...too crisp for a trippy jazzy band if you don't want them to become a fusion band...

great tuff, and i want to see them live sometime.