Jambands.ca

What kind of Vegetarian are you?

AdamH

I read an article a little while ago about "flexitarianism", which applies to those people who call themselves Vegetarians but who, when served meat in a social situation where it would be more polite to eat it, will do so on a whim. I would call these people Omnivores more than a made-up word.

So I guess by definition I'm an Omnivore because I'm quite capable and happy to eat both vegetarian and non-vegetarian options when presented with them. I don't favour one or the other but make my choice based on the quality of the dish, the origin of the meat..if it's raised sustainably and sourced locally it is good meatin' in my books. And even then I don't eat ground beef and stick to pretty good cuts of Lamb, Beef, Chicken or Fish vs. Organ meats or what have you.

So what do you eat, or not eat, and why?

I refer to myself as a "discriminating omnivore". I only eat fish and vegetables.

Contrary to what a number of people think, of course, I am clearly not a vegetarian. I could certainly eat fish all day every day and no vegetables, according to my self-imposed restrictions. It would be ludicrous to call me a vegetarian (although people often do).

Ahess - I was searching for a thread you posted a while back looking for non-farmed salmon. How did that turn out? Since moving to New Brunswick we've found plenty of local, organic beef and chicken. But despite the abundance of seafood, the salmon is all farmed (likely unsustainably and high in metals).

I'm a life long lacto vegetarian. witch means i drink milk, eat cheese, use butter but no eggs or meat. yes i can say no meat ever and i have no ambition too. It looks nasty, smells bad and does horrible things to your insides. i will not start to tell you what it does to the environment. i am not a preachy veggies(you asked). the sight of meat does not make me turn away. you can choose to eat what you like and so can i.

Quote:

What kind of Vegetarian are you?

An angry one.

that's funny.

also funny are the "vegetarians" who thrive on pop, chips & chocolate bars. they're not eating meat, so that's okay. i'm certainly not complaining about junkatarianism, but i don't even want to hear these people call themselves vegetarian, even though technically they are.

i'm a carni. down here in the south, we like to smoke whole pigs and eat them. and it is damn good.

also funny are the "vegetarians" who thrive on pop, chips & chocolate bars. they're not eating meat, so that's okay. i'm certainly not complaining about junkatarianism, but i don't even want to hear these people call themselves vegetarian, even though technically they are.

Huh? What a strange comment. I, who am not a vegetarian as I eat fish, choose not to eat mammals and fowl because I feel badly for them. I feel that most animals raised on farms are essentially tortured until they are slaughtered. (Of course, that is not the case with free-range, and I would probably eat such meat, but simply don't go out of my way to do so.)

It seems to me that you are assuming vegetarians are health-conscious. Why do you assume that? Is it your belief that it is far healthier to be a vegetarian; because my understanding is that that is hardly a proven, objective fact.

it is a proven, objective fact that the farming of livestock is the one of the largest pollutors on the planet, right up there with cars and industry in general. it is also proven that a high fibre, low fat diet is the healthiest choice. such a diet is most easily practised on a vegetarian regime.

Bokonon. I think you missed my point. I was pointing out that tatterdemalion is suggesting that in order to be a vegetarian you have to be health conscious. First, I would be very surprised if you cannot find literature indicating that eating meat can also be a healthy diet. Second, that is not my point anyway. Whether or not vegetarianism is healthier, it is entirely irrelevant whether a person is health-conscious in order to be a vegetarian. If you do not eat any flesh, but live on french fries and avocado, you are not likely to be healthy. You are, however, a vegetarian.

That was my point.

BTW, I've wanted to mention to you for some time that I LOVE the name you have chosen; from one of my favourite books of all time.

Bokonon. I think you missed my point. I was pointing out that tatterdemalion is suggesting that in order to be a vegetarian you have to be health conscious. First, I would be very surprised if you cannot find literature indicating that eating meat can also be a healthy diet. Second, that is not my point anyway. Whether or not vegetarianism is healthier, it is entirely irrelevant whether a person is health-conscious in order to be a vegetarian. If you do not eat any flesh, but live on french fries and avocado, you are not likely to be healthy. You are, however, a vegetarian.

to clarify: many vegetarians i have come across have chosen the lifestyle based on their beliefs of a healthier diet. many vegetarians i know also have chosen the lifestyle as a part of their religion or other non-health reasons. i think it's ridiculous & hilarious to see some of the former groups' eating habits, as it's clearly not a healthy lifestyle (yet is vegetarian).

i'm not suggesting that health consciousness is a prerequisite for being vegetarian. i'm health conscious and i eat meat on a regular basis. as you say, there is a strong argument for eating meat & living healthy.

i'm just sayin'

it depends on your blood type in many cases as far as whether vegetarianism is healthier. you can argue that the right food combining can get you all the proteins you'll ever need but there are SOME things that you can only get from another living thing in enough abundance for your body to utilize properly...there are some fatty acids that are in chicken fat for instance that are very good for you and you'd have to take supplements to get them elsewhere. I'm an omnivore but generally prefer vegetarian cooking. it takes more skill to make good meatless dishes than putting garlic and pepper on a steak and throwing it over a flame.

generally though a vegetarian diet (a proper one, not just meatless, but actually eating vegetables) is better. it's WAY better on the environment. many foods have higher protein and iron content than red meat anyway.

i like fish, canned or otherwise and seafood and snails. I like lamb, mutton, beef, chicken, duck, turkey, and if i were in desparation i'd eat a person (dont' be afraid...we're not in the andes and our plane hasn't crashed) - i'm genuinely appreciative of what i eat but i do feel better when i eat mainly vegetables. they're easier to digest.

I get serious flesh cravings. i think mushrooms would satisfy them though. i presume they're high in protein.

i would be lacto ovo if i were veg.

I'm about where you're at CB. From the environment's perspective a vegetarian diet is smart...fewer calories needed to produce an ample food supply. Health-wise it is a little more debatable but even if I said we need meat we definitely don't need it in the quantities we get it. The health benefits of, say, Eggs sort of go out the window when you've slathered them in butter, cheese and sausage and stuffed it in an enriched wheat flour bun.

And thanks for the quote J Roc :)

I've been vegetarian for a year and a half. I don't eat anything with eyes. I started by quiting red meat because I felt absolutely awful after each and every meal. After I quit all meat I felt better than ever. I've been easting healthier in the last year and a half than I ever have. On tour in the usa is a tough challenge. Its extra meaty down there.

I can honestly say I became vegetarian for purely selfish reasons of my own health but over time I've become much more political about it. Although I never want to be a agressive pusher.