Jambands.ca

x

Joan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I talked to some people in school and it looks like we may be starting a collaborative – translocal study about beards! This is not a joke. Facial hair style is (often) produced in a conscious manner and when a man wears a beard he is making a statement to the world. How do men feel about them? How men do choose their beard style(s)? How are beards represented in the media? What subcultures are more likely to have beard wearing participants? How do beards relate to identity formation and the sense of self? And most importantly, how do beards relate to our understanding of beauty and power? In terms of methodology we plan on using questionnaires, statistical analysis, interviews and public observation.

And the best part is that we get to talk to bearded men all over town ;)

As an side - at Dal there is a beard club. They have to grow a specific type of facial hair during exams. Apparently it’s not all about the hair it’s about an attitude.

That sounds like fun Meg's. I may do a survey of bearded clams around here and will post the results soon. ;)

I'd like to be the first to offer up some info for that study Meg. My beard is merely utilitarian. I start growing it labour day weekend, shave it all off and go bald face after may 24. It keeps my face warmer in the winter, then cooler in the summer. That's all there is to it.

For what it's worth, when I was a student and had a wide array of McJobs, I would periodically grow a beard, typically as a result of the following conversation:

BOSS: Hey, Corey, I notice you're looking a bit scruffy. Didn't get a chance to shave? (read the above with snarky tone)

STONEMTN: Oh, ya, um ... actually I'm growing a beard!

Never wanting to be a liar, I would inevitably have a beard for the next 6 months. The upside, of course, was always the joy of seeing my boss' face for the first couple of weeks; knowing that he can't really tell me I'm not allowed to grow a beard, but still very pissed-off at StoneMtn's scruffy-as-hell appearance. (I suppose the hair down to my ass didn't help either... ;))

hmmmm since i'm the only one to hold this opinion, i'll state it.

I don't really think that beards are sexy. certain types suit certain people, don't get me wrong, but in a general way, nuh uh. different combinations of facial hair (the mutton chops are truely my most favourite on the entertainment scale side of things friendly you've got the best pork chops i've ever seen) are ok, but the full on unabashed just let it grow forever, i think i'll work for idomo or join zz top beard....just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe it's cause my dad had a full on jerry beard till i was approx 9...i dunno. maybe it's cause as a woman i can't imagine thick prickly hair coming out of my face and being satisfied. *looks at the 80% bearded crowd* please don't throw rocks at me, or your beard trimmings, or your unused razors.

but in the end, to each their own. do whatever makes ya feel good, and have some fun doing it. confidence and charisma always out sexify even the most unsexy of qualities, whatever they may be. i third the motion of random style changes, that always did seem like 1 fun thing about being a man (besides peeing your name in the snow)

I think you guys should all do something fun like everyone with a beard has to show up on New Years with a totally different look - either mutton chops or fu man chu or just a moustache - startrek side burns - i dunno - but i think it would be hillarious if you all did it!

or, if you dont currently have facial hair and are able to grow some - show up with some. ;)