Jambands.ca

what music do you dislike?

shitidiot

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, there are actually three levels of affinity for music (or anyting): liking, disliking, and not caring. Most popular music (including young country, pop-punk, the various Simpson sisters, etc.) is in the "not caring" category for me. It may ruffle my feathers that it exists (and thus edging out stuff I like), but the sounds themselves aren't particularly displeasing to my ears.

However, in the "dislike!" category, I have dixieland jazz (which seems to pride itself on an extremely narrow and rigid definition, and uses sounds that just bug me), and a lot of 20th-Century avante-garde music (especially the stuff that demands you study it in order to appreciate it or which takes itself too seriously; for example, I've seen some Philip Glass piano performances on TV, and, well, hated almost all of it).

Aloha,

Brad

punk music all sounds the same. ( I know I hate it when people say that about jam music, but punk really does)

I'll agree that today's pop punk music all sounds the same.. but I'd say there's a big difference between Black Flag, Patty Smith, The Ramones, The Clash and Gang of Four.

If you want I could hook you up with some MP3s and you can see for yourself.. then you won't be wasting any money on buying music you'll potentially hate

I completely agree with ThatPhatGuy. You only have to compare the Stiff Little Fingers with the Dirty Rotten Imbeciles or The Gruesomes to see that punk rock is quite a varied mix.

I also agree, however, that today's watered-down pop-punk is all designed to sound the same. That being said, most long-term punk-rockers that I know wouldn't even consider listening to Green Day or Blink 182.

When you consider that punk came about by musicians just "going for it" regardless of training, talent, money, etc... I think there is a good argument to be made that today's pop-punk is really not punk at all; just pop.

There's alot out there that I dislike and downright hate. Music makes me emotional, ranging from joy to disgust. I take all forms of produced music personally.

I really dislike the tired pop-punk genre. The band that started it all, Green Day, are good, but all the bands that they spawned suck.

I hate over-produced blues too. The North Mississippi Allstar's last studio album, Polaris, is an over-wrought disaster. It's not a young or white-blues thing either. Some of Buddy Guy's late 80's and 90's albums blow. There are many offenders of soulless over-produced crap like: Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Jeff Healey, Johnny Lang, Robert Cray, Taj Mahal, Eric Clapton, Dickey Betts, The Allman Brothers.

The blues should be raw, emotive, soulful, honest and simple.

I've never liked Genesis and have grown to hate Art Rock as a genre. Bombastic, over-blown and self-indulgent are some of the words that come to mind when describing Art Rock. I still don't hate Yes and I like Pink Floyd and Rush, but bands like King Crimson, Asia, The Moody Blues, Procol Harem and Roxy Music are tough to listen to.

I've never liked Post New Wave, Synth-pop and 80's Brit Pop ( I love The Jam however ). I do think bands from these genres are talented and creative, but I don't like their collective styles and sounds. I respect, but dislike these bands immensely: Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Order, Joy Division ( although I like their punkish first album ), Soft Cell, The Smiths, Morrissey, Duran Duran.

Nu-metal bands like Korn, Incubus, Creed, Nickelback, Puddle Of Mudd all bite. There's a real generic quality to this genre and these bands bore me silly.

Lastly, I'd like to give " you all suck " props to serious Canadian artists like Diana Krall, The Tea Party, Celine Dion and Our Lady Peace. Krall's arrogant smirk can't hide the fact that she can't write songs without the help of her incresingly discreditable husband. The Tea Party behave like rock-stars, but Jeff Martin couldn't write a melody to save his life - and Jeff, get off the nose-candy. I hate Celine and her bland tunes, but her creepy husband Rene should have been arrested when he checked her out as a minor.

PEACE BE WITH YOU ALL,

Esteban out

exactly.. the artistic movement that people like Richard Hell, Patty Smith, David Byrne, Jonathan Richman (and the rest of the CBGB/east coast guys of the early 70s) were trying to set up was a counter to the increasingly complicated, schooled, and ultimately inaccessable rock music of the day.

It was an attempt to return rock music to it's roots, a music for social misfits who just wanted to have a girlfriend and maybe a cool car. Songs about dragons and fairies (english prog rock) or psychedilec head trips (west coast rock) meant nothing to a bunch of awkward, poor, and rather lonely teenagers growing up in the urban neighborhoods of the eastern US.

Today's pop punk of Blink 182 and Good Charlotte (I actually like a lot of Green Day's stuff.. and though they get lumped in with the pop punk of today I think they are a bit beyond that.. they aren't a band that's been assembled by a record label) reminds me of what happend to heavy metal in the 80s. A couple of bands showed there was money in it and all of a sudden every label was looking for the next Motley Crue.

Like all trends this will burn itself out. Grunge (a rather obvious spin off of punk as far as I'm concerned) killed the excessive 80s hair metal.. I wonder what will kill of pop punk.. I'm hoping bluegrass myself :)

ok.. I'll stop hijacking this thread.. sorry :)

oh yeah.. and it's thatPATguy (no 'h') :)

First, sorry to thatPatguy, for getting his name wrong. It was not meant to indicate you should diet. ;)

Second, I should say that I also agree that Green Day is a huge cut-above the usual pop-punk scene, and are certainly the closest thing to the real deal in that genre.

(I, too, will stop hijacking this thread from here on out...)

Does 'hip hop' count as music? I hate that!

I especially hate that vocal effect I've been hearing for five years that makes everyone sound the same. I'm sure I don't have to describe it.

WE were bottling wine yesterday and forced to hear so-called hip hop and that annoying vocal effect.

Does 'hip hop' count as music? I hate that!

I especially hate that vocal effect I've been hearing for five years that makes everyone sound the same. I'm sure I don't have to describe it.

WE were bottling wine yesterday and forced to hear so-called hip hop and that annoying vocal effect.

do you like Michael Franti? I'd call that hip hop

light rock and new country, a lot of generic pop/punk these days (though I still love good rock, country, pop and punk)... any music where your success depends more on how you look and are marketed than the emotion and meaning attatched to your music deserves jail time

(and any musician who publicly supports GWB regardless of style or content)

Sorry but David Byrne's work is anything BUT uncomplicated and unschooled...try again...

One of the greatest rock concerts of all time is documented in Stop Making Sense...give that a shot and behold the specticle if you can...

It is INSANE to suggest that David Byrne and his genius musical mind is the opposite of complicated and schooled...especially when your handing out props to fu©king Green Day and thier power chord mania!!!

Gawpo Giggles :: :: ::

Giggles I agree with that.

In fact, I didn't say anything earlier because it is just opening up a new issue, which wasn't really thatpatguy's point anyway, but I really don't consider David Byrne/Talking Heads punk at all. Perhaps "alternative" or "new wave" in the way those words were used at the time, or even "post-punk", (in a different sense than The Stranglers or PIL but of the same era) but not punk.

Do you consider him punk?

I'm not sure what thatpatguy was getting at...I read the props for greenday and the booing of DB and really forgot everything else put forth by him because those are two very weak, uninformed comments as far as I'm concerned...

My comment was simply in reply to claiming (again, obviously with an uninformed opinion) that the works of David Byrne and the Talking Heads were done because other music of the day was schooled and complicated...ABSOLUTLY NOT TRUE!!!

I would say DB and the Talking Heads were far ahead of thier time and DB still is today!!! New Wave, Alt, Post-Punk and even Art will all work for the Heads...they were RISD drop outs...first four shows were opening for the Ramones...The early experimantal help of Mr. Brian Eno and above and beyond all THE GENIUS MUSICAL MIND OF DAVID BYRNE!!!

Gawpo Giggles :: :: ::