Jambands.ca

Springsteen Stares Down 'Devils' On New Album

TimmyB

I can't wait for this album and tour!

from www.billboard.com

Edited By Jonathan Cohen. February 16, 2005, 10:30 AM ET

Springsteen Stares Down 'Devils' On New Album

Bruce Springsteen re-teams with producer Brendan O'Brien on his 19th album, "Devils & Dust," which Columbia will release on April 26. The 12-track set follows the format of Springsteen's '90s studio work, in which he eschewed the presence of the full E Street Band and was instead surrounded by a rotating cast of collaborators.

The core band here features only Springsteen on guitar, O'Brien on bass and Steve Jordan (Steely Dan, Keith Richards) on drums. The latter also produced Springsteen's wife Patti Scialfa's 2004 Columbia studio album, "23rd Street Lullaby."

The title cut has been in Springsteen's catalog for several years, and was dusted off in soundchecks for the E Street Band's run on last fall's Vote for Change tour, but never performed at a show.

Two of the tracks -- "Long Time Comin'" and "The Hitter" -- date back at least 10 years and were performed during the tour in support of the 1995 album "The Ghost of Tom Joad."

Like much of the material on that set, the songs are both first-person narratives, using details and fragmented scenes to sketch out a life's story. The first is about a father celebrating the optimism that comes with an awaited child; the second about a street fighter nearing the end of an unenviable career.

Springsteen will tour acoustically in support of the new album, but no details have been announced as to who, if anyone, will back him or what size venues he will play.

"I was actually signed as an acoustic act, and I've always enjoyed playing acoustic," the artist told the Associated Press this week. "Even when I was in a band, back in my early days, I was always writing songs that weren't meant for the band."

"Devils & Dust" is the Springsteen's first studio album since 2002's O'Brien-produced "The Rising," which debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 2.09 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The tour in support of the set grossed $221.5 million from 121 shows reported to Billboard Boxscore.

As previously reported, Springsteen won a Grammy on Sunday for best solo rock vocal performance for the "Code of Silence," which was released on the 2003 collection "The Essential Bruce Springsteen."

Here is the track list for "Devils & Dust":

"Devils & Dust"

"All The Way Home"

"Reno"

"Long Time Comin'"

"Black Cowboys"

"Maria's Bed"

"Silver Palomino"

"Jesus Was an Only Son"

"Leah"

"The Hitter"

"All I'm Thinkin' About"

"Matamoras Banks"

-- Jonathan Cohen and Ben French, N.Y.

"give yo'selves an edumacation"

I can think of a couple of people that need to be placed in the remedial program.

"It's like someone took a dump and decided to record and release it... "

Is it all just 'sucks' and 'sh!t' or 'retarded' with this guy? Solid argument you got there, pal. Keep up the good work.

...Springsteen will tour acoustically in support of the new album, but no details have been announced as to who, if anyone, will back him or what size venues he will play...

Actually to expand on that, here's something that I got from a rumour-mill email about the tour (no original source, sorry.)

It is anticipated the tour will begin by April 2005. Initially, this tour will be Bruce solo with maybe one or two other members of the ESB. After an initial first leg of the tour lasting approximately four months, additional members of the ESB will continue to join the tour until it culminates in an entire ESB world-wide tour. The tour will be in support of the new album to which the entire band will contribute to each song as the tour progresses. The tour will be a world wide tour with the solo shows being concentrated in the U.S. At this time, a few of the solo shows may be in Europe, but that has not been concluded. However, once the entire ESB is on tour, the tour will also include a number of dates throughout Europe.

Overall, the tour is expected to last at least 18 months.

The focus the tour will be to emphasize Bruce as a solo performer and how his music and message are enhanced by the ESB. The solo shows will obviously be in smaller venues to start with the venues increasing in size through the summer and fall.

It will be interesting to see the progression of the tour and the performance of these songs. Although none of the songs are expected to receive heavy radio airplay, Bruce is extremely happy with his writing and message contained in these songs.

Springsteen is one of the greatest performers and songwriters in rock history. He may not be for everyone's taste, but if you love live rock and you see him live, I'll bet he makes you a believer.

Peace,

Mr. M.

Someone needs to make a goddamned instructional video for Jambands.ca

This lesson is called "How to share your opinions online in a meaningful way".

EXHIBIT A, also known as "Good": In a thread about an artist, summarize your feeling on the artist

sorry, not a Springsteen fan here either... never have been... admit he writes good songs and seems like an conscientious, nice fellow who I'd love to drink some beer with but it just doesn't do it for me... just don't like the way most of those well written songs sound

EXHIBIT B, also known as "bad": In a thread about an artist, pick the ONLY music of his that you know, and aggregate that to summarize your feelings on the artist.

I respect some of the old Sprigsteen stuff, but Streets Of Philadelphia? It's like someone took a dump and decided to record and release it..

CONCURRING VIEWS:

This reads like someone took a dump, and decided to post it online.

CONCLUSION: The grateful dead fu©king suck because of that stupid fu©king touch of grey. It's sounds like Jerry shat his pants and pressed a record with it.

geez louise!! The internet-etiquette squad descended on this one quickly! Who cares if "streets of philadelphia" is akin to an audio-dump for Del? I thought it was funny, and although i dig on Bruce Springsteen, and was pretty much raised on his early stuff, i still found humour in how Del said that.. but maybe i'm not taking this seriously enough?

Ideally, yes, all critisms would bring content and interesting conversation, but sometimes its just a quick opinion. those quick statements are sometimes some of the funniest things i see all day. I agree that positive content is important and shouldnt be discouraged.. and as long as every 'this sucks' or whatever is accompanied by a thoughtful response elsewhere, i think we're ok. theres no 'trolling' going on on this site as far as i can tell.

Don't you remember? Humour's not allowed anymore... I'll justify my reasoning for my post, to satisfy all the people that feel like it's needed: Born In The USA was one of the first cassettes I remember owning... Not surprisingly, Born In The USA is pretty much the only song I can remember off of it, and to be honest, I can't even really remember that song that well... Skip ahead a few years, and the next time I remember hearing about Bruce Springsteen was when Streets Of Philadelphia was released. I was somewhat excited at the time. I remember really loving the song Born In The USA, and was expecting something along the same lines. Instead, Bruce released a ballad (which is fine), but the quality of said ballad was sub-par to other songs being released at the time by other artists. He mumbled his way through most of it, and the chorus of "In the streets of Philadelphia" seemed forced and manipulated. A far cry from his blue collar beginnings... Fast forward again, to Timmy's post about "The Boss" touring again, which when Theo mentioned he hated Bruce I simply put "ditto". Then MarcO asked if I didn't like good songs. Good songs? Two in the last however many years that I can remember, one of which I despised? What good songs? This lead to me making a humourous (to me, and gm, apparently) remark about Streets Of Philadelphia sounding like sh!t to my ears, formed in a somewhat more tasteful wording of "dump"... Next thing I know, a small collection of (apparently) die-hard Bruce fans (none of which, I might add, has made even the slightest remark about Bruce's songwriting abilities, or made even the smallest mention of being a fan until my post) went up in arms over my attempt at getting a laugh... I notice hamilton quipped in with yet another one line remark about something. I don't add anything to the board? What has hamilton contributed besides a serious "jump on the bus" attitude regarding basically anything that I dislike? Booche, well, I've been to his place, let's just say he doesn't own much Bruce. Polkaroo has had it in for me since I confessed my love for Mr. Weir, and Mr. Musicface made some unqualified comment about Bruce being "one of the greatest performers and songwriters in rock history"... Say what? Based on what? I bet if you asked every person on here to name ten Bruce Springsteen songs, 98 - 99% couldn't name five... So there you go, sorry to have an opinion, and sorry that I don't always feel like writing a 500 word essay to give my opinion on every band that I feel like commenting on. I'll definately take the board's feelings in to consideration the next time I mention not particularly enjoying one artist's music... Boo-fu©king-hoo to the lot of you... (gm, excepted, of course)