Jambands.ca

5 Disc Rotation...

CyberHippie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 and 3) North Mississippi Allstars - 2003-10-01 Lee's Palace, Toronto [My first NMA show, and I was hooked. After a year and a half of solid fandom, seeing them twice more, and collecting almost a hundred boots, this one is still my favourite. Progressive Deadhead blues at its finest.]

That's the show and the reason where and why I started getting unhooked.

When they stick to North Mississippi Delta blues, they are vital and important. However, their last two albums are rock-influenced and are huge disappointments.

There is hope. The recent Bonnaroo CD of theirs is quite good. Maybe the poor sales of Polaris and general panning of that album by most critics has wisened-up Luther and the boys.

Fluff - Ahem...it's not (hee,hee)

AD, I've been downloading occasionally from Torrentbox and some guy keeps throwing up these Phish mixes. I just d/l part two of this guys work. The first one is an all SB blender of posthiatus jams akin to what that guy was doing on etree with Phall 97 Jams series. Great just to throw on in the background or while driving. If you have soulseek, it's still on my hd. PM me.

2 and 3) North Mississippi Allstars - 2003-10-01 Lee's Palace, Toronto [My first NMA show, and I was hooked. After a year and a half of solid fandom, seeing them twice more, and collecting almost a hundred boots, this one is still my favourite. Progressive Deadhead blues at its finest.]

That's the show and the reason where and why I started getting unhooked.

When they stick to North Mississippi Delta blues, they are vital and important. However, their last two albums are rock-influenced and are huge disappointments.

There is hope. The recent Bonnaroo CD of theirs is quite good. Maybe the poor sales of Polaris and general panning of that album by most critics has wisened-up Luther and the boys.

Jaimoe, I agree that Polaris is disappointing. It didn't take too many listens before I shelved it, pretty much for good. I have to say though, IMO, some of those tunes translated into fantastic live cuts. Their take on Delta blues is my favourite aspect of the band, but the fact that they're a 3-piece again means we probably won't see some of the more complicated live stuff that they were doing as a quartet.

Case in point: one of the highlights of the show, for me, was a collection of new tunes that went into each other. I'll link to mp3's, too, so you can hear what I'm talking about:

Be So Glad > Goin Home > Goin Home Pt. 2 > All Along.

The versions of Be So Glad and All Along on Polaris are pretty pathetic, especially comparted to the versions presented here. Luther's voice has never been great, so if you're into real powerful voices it may not be your thing, but musically I think it works really well. Bit of a Voodoo Chile tease at the end of Be So Glad, too. Goin Home is a bouncy, major-key harmonized guitar romp, paying homage (IMO) to the Allman Brothers in a big way. This is an example of a great tune, one that would belong more on Shake Hands or 51 Phantom than on Polaris, that simply won't be possible to perform as a trio.

Another tune I think you should hear is this version of Conan. This song originally appeared on Polaris, but as a live cut, it is a total Delta blues/bottleneck slide event. This version is from 2003-10-14, at Ziggy's in Winston-Salem, NC. They played it in Toronto two weeks earlier, but this version betters that one a little I think.

NMA - Conan

Anyway, they've got a new record coming out that is supposed to be a return to the sound of the first two, and I agree that the Bonnaroo set was a good indication that they're headed back in a bluesier direction. They apparently have Canadian plans after the record is out, looking forward to seeing them again.

Hey Good Rev, I agree that some of their songs on their disappointing studio albums translate well live... or translate better live.

I'm not really a fan of their intricate musical diversions. I like them raw and gritty. One thing to remember: They aren't just influenced by Delta Blues, they are North Mississippi Delta Blues. The Allstars are revered in Clarksdale Mississippi. For them to branch out and explore other forms of music like pop-rock ala Big Star is all producer/mentor/father Jim Dickenson's doing. I like hearing their obvious Allmans influence, but when they start to harmonize, the syrup starts to flow.

When " Shake Hands With Shorty " came out, it sent a blast of fresh air into not only the blues, but to a staid jam scene. They are still young and may experiment with straight-up rock again, but they will be wise to stick to their strengths. One big problem is that Luther needs to mature as a songwriter.

Fluff- I find it to be beat driven, but not the party that Midnite Vultures is. Some old school beck rapping but clearly the most impressive part are the subtle noises and layering, layering, layering. His singing voices leans at times toward his Sea Change voice. First listen good, first headphone listen awesome. Can't wait for 5.1!!!

One big problem is that Luther needs to mature as a songwriter.

Well I agree with that, for sure. I have a feeling, though, that Jim's presence on a project means MORE Delta blues, not less. Both Shorty and Polaris were produced by Luther and Cody, whereas Phantom was produced by Jim. Shorty is pretty much straight-up blues, Phantom stretches it a bit (tracks like Storm and Mud wouldn't really be classified as blues) and Polaris is, well, a blues-influenced 'rock'...thing :D. The new record, due in June as I recall, is supposed to be a throwback to Shorty and Phantom, and is produced by Jim too. When Polaris came out and the reaction was pretty grim, Jim was quoted as saying something to the effect of: My boys had no business getting into whatever kind of alternative-rock sound that they were going for on that record. I'm going to produce the next record, and we'll show everybody that NMA can still boogie like they always have.

Anyway, I have enjoyed three live shows from NMA, all after the release of Polaris, and they have proven to put on a great show (with minor acceptions). Can't wait to hear this new record, and hopefully see them on tour in the spring/summer.

Incidentally, Jim produced and played piano and bass on Ry Cooder's Boomer's Story record. I've recently really gotten into the record, it's very rootsy and reminiscent at times of early Band (Big Pink and Brown, specifically). I'm sure you've heard the cut from Bonnaroo with Chris Robinson singing the title cut from that album, with NMA backing him up. I think he does a great job, would love to see them do it onstage at one of the Crowes reunion shows...NMA are opening 3 of the 7.

the strokes - is this it (on now)

arcade fire - funeral (listened to it at work)

stars - set yourself on fire (listened to it on the bus to work)

the slip - 06.30.04 d1 (my monday morning wake'n'bake... i didnt have to work till the afternoon ::)

the slip - 05.27.04 d1 (before bed and while i was falling asleep last night... wolof>shouters was damn near religious!)

The 6 discs that were in the carpool CD player this morning:

Beck-Guero (funky, happy Beck is back!)

The Slip-2/7/99 (my first show...yay)

Jill Barber-Oh Heart (Leonard Cohen, if he was a chick)

Joel Plaskett-La De Da (can't get enough of Truth Be Told, I love it)

Bonnaroo Vol. 2 (Awesome Keller Williams here)

Primus-Back in the Madhouse (for when I need Les's bass to keep me awake) ;)

4.Ugly Casanova - Sharpen Your Teeth

I checked this out last week after so many people recommended it. It's quite good but I'm confused. Is this band made up of Modest Mouse members plus Ugly Casanova, or is it modest mouse members doing Ugly Casanova's songs without him (something about him disappearing off the face of the earth?)

• 4 weeks later...