Jambands.ca

Name Some Music That Has Moved You As Of Late...

Weirdness

Been on my mind to post this one for awhile. Any live or studio music will do, but something that has really impressed you or kicked your ass as of late...

O.K.

George Harrison-Dark Horse --one of those records that had been inherited from here or there but never got any play until recently. The emotion on this is something else, lines like "I'm a dark horse", "goodbye happiness...hello loneliness" are so raw, so powerful...

...so then, please share as this seems a good way to bring to light the really good shit that we've been exposing ourselves to in the past little while...

The upcoming album by Spoon, Gimme Fiction, is a wonderful indie rock album. The band writes songs, arranges them, then tears the arrangements apart and deconstructs their songs to see what they end up with. An interesting way to write and record.

The upcoming new album by The Red Chord on Metal Blade is my heavy album right now. They are more metalcore than metal, but they have an insanely quick drummer and can move from grind to slow doomy parts with ease.

Also still loving the Swedish hippie rock band Dungen. Essentially a one man band, the dude is 24 years old and sounds like he recorded in 1968. If you like UK freakbeat and psychedelia you would freak for this guy.

I really like that Spoon album too... Just got it a couple days ago but it is really growing on me.

Really digging Eisley. If you like wicked harmonies with angelic girly voices this is great.

And the Fiery Furnaces, while they don't 'move me,' they are awesome.

AD

Nouvelle Vague (click SOUND AND VIDEO, turn up volume)

punk and new wave songs done with a bossa nova groove... the concept sounds like it'd be crap but its actually really good, I listen to it while I'm working... tunes like the Dead Kennedy's To Drunk To Fuck, XTC's Making Plans For Nigel, Depeche Mode's Just Can't Get Enough and Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart... someone told me the girl who does the singing wasn't familiar with the songs when they asked her to sing them so she just sang them how she thought they should go from the lyrics

seriously a nice listen... fun

I agree with Del about Slowcoaster. I've also been really impressed with Mr. Something Something.

I also think I spent most of yesterday listening to Radio Keneally, and I'm astonished at the amount of music this guy has: full-shred guitar, great acoustic stuff, well-written songs, 20th-Century avant-garde stuff, solo piano, the man is simply amazing.

Aloha,

Brad

George Harrison-Dark Horse --one of those records that had been inherited from here or there but never got any play until recently. The emotion on this is something else, lines like "I'm a dark horse", "goodbye happiness...hello loneliness" are so raw, so powerful...

I've got all of George Harrison's albums. He is amazing.

What's been moving me alot these day's is just listening to Kevin Breit's unbelievable guitar work. There are some unbelievable high-ranging chords that he nails using a combination of slide, relative harmonics and a hint of dissonance that rings in my head for days.

Guest Low Roller

It's wicked that everybody has so far recommended something different. I think we're on the verge of a massive musical explosion ala 1991 because there is so much music out there now, that it is becoming almost impossible to stay up to date. Thank goodness for this message board.

I'm currently seriously hooked on Iron & Wine. We're talking a major folk talent here. I just got the Woman King EP, and it was in keeping with the quality and mood of the preceeding discs with a sensational subdued voice, and a simple yet perfectly fitting acoustic guitar. Every single song is a song you want to play for your girlfriend while sitting on your front porch on a rainy summer evening.

On the electric front I am mightily impressed by Interpol's two studio albums. They are by far the frontrunners in the rebirth of new wave music. Many have compared them to Joy Division, but there is a lot more to this band than a simple carbon copy of the legendary band.

Gomez is cool too!

Finally, I've always praised the virtues of the White Stripes, and more specifically the blues skills of one Jack White. I recommend everybody tries to hunt down an acoustic show that Jack White did on the John Peel show (04-02-03), more specifically Jack's version of Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose. It's wicked.

I throw my support behind SlowCoaster and the new Spoon album as well. (and if you like Bright Eyes, Spoon's Brit Daniel and Bright Eyes released a neat little mutual EP last year called "Home, Vol. 4" that's worth listening to) Can't wait to hear the Sharon Jones disc.

Both Okkervil River and Magnolia Electric Co. have been doing it for me lately. I'm not totally sold on MEC's studio release, but the live "Trials & Errors" is bursting with all sorts of Neil Young-like flavours! :) Emotionally powerful stuff without being the least bit hokey or sentimental.

i've been really big on NQ Arbuckle, lately. sing-songy twang rock outta the t-dot - sixshooter records... i only have his latest cd, Last Supper In A Cheap Town, but i listen to it a lot... simple kinda lyrics that just make a lot of sense in that 'fuck, thats what i've been meaning to say!!' kinda way... raspy just got outta bed voice... and really nice to listen to musicianship. i recommend... wholeheartedly, i do.

I've been a huge Paul McCandless fan for years, ever since I first heard him with Bela Fleck in 1994. But only recently decided to check out his contributions to the group "Oregon" with Ralph Towner & Glen Moore. They had an amazing tabla player, Collin Walcott who sadly died in an accident on tour. They recruited another master tabla player Trilok Gurtu, and he's on the dvd I have. Pretty amazing stuff.

Holy Moly. I've only been able to find a few live shows and a DVD as well, and not sure where to start with studio albums as the group has composed 25+ albums in ~40 years.

Check it out at www.oregonband.com

artist: ARIEL PINK

album: The Doldrums (2004)

if you dig Syd Barret/Daniel Johnston eccentricity + Guided By Voices lo-fi complexity + 60/70's am pop radio hits you'll lose your mind over this guy! This guy's borderline genius + crazy but purely genuine, no shtick! Highly addictive!

"BURNT SUGAR is a territory band, a neo-tribal thang, a community hang, a society music guild aspiring to the condition of all that is molten, glacial, racial, spacial, oceanic, mythic, antiphonal and telepathic."

"we don't strive to be original, but aboriginal"

That's some wild stuff.

Is it too late to throw a vote in for LCD Soundsystem?